For those stuck at home

Options
2»

Replies

• Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    it is 100% true....loook at the want ads...mayeb it isnt the job you want or doesnt pay what you want....but ya know what? grow the F up and take the job...its called being an adult.

No that isn't true and most of the wanted ads are just filled with scams anymore and not real jobs. You obviously haven't been looking in them so you might want to just shut the F up.
  • KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    Options
    This guy is just nuts. He's obviously living in a fantasy world where nobody has problems finding work, there's no starvation in the world, and where unicorns prance around freely
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    try a new hobby, and i think volunteering if any places need help would be good.
    where my sister lives in MD she had a hard time finding volunteer work but maybe u can help out with kids, or an animal shelter or walk around cleaning up garbage (that way you get some exercise in too if you like working out)
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    I became unemployed a couple years ago and couldn't find work-- it was super rough. My community is a blip on the map and the job market is horrible. I spent over a year putting in applications anywhere I saw was hiring and never even got an interview.

It was rough-- it still is rough, but I took a step back to really look over what I was doing and why. What did I want from MY life?

... I now work from home as a freelance illustrator and make crafty things to sell on Etsy, as well as getting super involved in my community's youth movements and pet shelters. It's a lot more rewarding than a normal 9-5.

Sure, the pay isn't stable sometimes, but I have a roof over my head, food in mah belly, and a lifestyle I'm loving.

I wish you the best. :)
  • Rhea30
    Options
    I'm from Southern California and it is true, there aren't any jobs and if there are there is a good chance its a job someone may not qualified for, the classes are hard to get in and yes even online schools have limitations on enrollment and aren't always the best route anyways compare to a face to face instruction depending on what you are doing. The ones who are calling this BS are obviously the ones who don't know what they are talking about. If you don't live in the area and not looking for work right now or trying to get into a class then just keep your opinion to yourself since you won't know what you're talking about.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So my question to those stuck at home, what do you do all day to keep yourself entertained? I go to Zumba almost every night, but I'm really looking for something else to keep myself occupied.

I knit, and crochet. Sometimes I have a plan of what I want to make, sometimes I surf the net looking for interesting things. Of course, there is always housework/cooking/yardwork to do. I also make rag rugs, read, or watch movies. I spend much of my day sitting in front of the computer chatting. I can knit or crochet at the same time - well, except when I have to type of course, but you get the idea. I could also go for a walk or something, either locally in the neighbourhood or along a river/in a park nearby. I'm not a 'going out for no reason' person so I have to keep myself entertained at home. I have jigsaw puzzles to do as well, but the cats like to sleep on them when I am trying to do them.
  • KLaurean
    Options
    Thanks for everyone who actually responded to my QUESTION.
    Volunteering is definitely an option.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I live in NC.. I have found out getting a job isn't as easy as people think....A Tanger outlet opened here and I applied and didn't get one interview...I have years of jobs with customer service and even years working in banks when I lived in another state.... Of course, I am older but I would think I have the experience to be hired..
  • Rhea30
    Options
    Thanks for everyone who actually responded to my QUESTION.
    Volunteering is definitely an option.

Sorry for ranting on your thread, coming from the area it just upset me when some dude is making a general statement with not knowing how the situation is here. A class I'm in had 70 students trying to add it on the first day, its crazy right now with the school situation. Like others said volunteering is always a good way and always looks good on an application with along helping to developed personal skills
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    I'm with ya!
    I live in London and it's pretty much the same situation. Jobs I've recently been turned down for: KFC, care home assistant x7 (there's a lot of homes in my area), supermarkets.
    Some people live in a fantasy land where all you need to do is go out and you'll have a job.
    I'm afraid I don't have a lot of suggestions for filling time though, sorry! My mum's disabled and I spend a lot of time looking after her. Obviously the easy way out :laugh:
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    well if you want moe jobs you have a choice in November. Hows that Change working out for ya?
  • KLaurean
    Options
    Sorry for ranting on your thread, coming from the area it just upset me when some dude is making a general statement with not knowing how the situation is here. A class I'm in had 70 students trying to add it on the first day, its crazy right now with the school situation. Like others said volunteering is always a good way and always looks good on an application with along helping to developed personal skills

It's not a problem at all. I agree with you completely.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do you like Kids? Babysit- gets you a little cash too.
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Some ideas for you:
    Learn new Recipies and cook them. Can freeze for later date if needed.
    Read bible
    Learn to sew, knit or other home craft to save on Christmas gifts!
    Volunteer at church, hospital or/and animal shelters
    If you have Netflix - watch movies
    Do some workout DVDs - I like Jillian's 30 day shred. It was at Walmart $10
    Journal: write in a daily diary/journal ( keeps you thinking)
    Go for nice long Walks

Enjoy your time off cause soon you'll be working again.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    For those who are saying BS about not being able to find a job, you don't know what you're talking about. I lost my job last December and have been putting in applications for all kids of jobs, even minimum wage ones and I still can't get hired. My son was out of a job for several months and just got hired at Burger King and he has all kids of experience working at fast food restaurants and still had trouble getting a job. Do you really think those of us on here that are looking for jobs are the only people looking for jobs? Well we're not. A number of jobs that I've applied for state that due to the high volume of applications they get only the most qualified applicants will be notified. That's got to tell you something right there!