SouthBeach, Weight Watcher, NutriSystem?

Options
I'm looking for a diet plan that will work. Right now I need something quick that will help me refocus on portion control. I love the idea of Nutrisystem, but it doesnt seem like a good plan since I have 2 kids to feed as well. That would be 2 seperate grocery lists and sounds expensive. I was thinking I would do lots of fresh veggies and fruits and then prepackaged meals like healthy choice steamers & Lean Cuisine. What do you all think?

Also, are there any good detox kits or dietary aide to ASSIST with my efforts?

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I just started doing the south beach diet yesterday and i also have a family to feed and wasn't sure how it would work but luckily all the food on phase one is simple, yummy and cheap to make.. I haven't been able to get the scale to move in over 3 months and today i weighed my self just to see what one day would do and it showed i was 2lbs down.. i know it is water weight but wow after not seeing a change in over 3 months and then seeing it move down i wanted to jump up and down... There's 3 phases on the south beach diet that teaches you how to eat healthy and you don't worry about portion control cause all the food on there is beyond healthy for you... I recommend looking into it.. I also have been chatting with a few girls on this site who have tried it and they lost alot of weight in 1 month and another ladies husband lost over 50lbs in 6 months and has kept it off for the last 2 1/2 years... so it is due able ...If you google south beach diet meal plan it will show you foods, shopping list and the plan.. Let me know if you have any questions..
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    thanks! Yea, I thought this sounded the best out of the others. Nutrisystem is the one I was most hesitant about because of expenses & kids. THanks
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like it cause it's real food! and you don't have to order anything... Those other plans are so expensive and they don't fill you up ... This plan you get everything you need from the local store... and the whole family can enjoy it.. Even the kids!!! :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Invest in a set of measuring cups. That's the cheapest 'diet plan' you can get that will control your portions and thus, your calories. You can have treats. You can even have white rice. You just have to monitor how much you're eating. Nutrient timing isn't a bad idea either --eat bigger meals for breakfast and around your workout, with any simple carbohydrates after your workout to refuel carbohydrate stores in the body. There's no need to buy special groceries or remove entire food groups from your diet. And you can share your measuring cups with the whole family if you want. :wink:
  • nikkoteeny
    nikkoteeny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is one thing that all diets that "work" have in common: they reduce your calories and increase your fitness level through exercise. You don't need a special diet plan that the media has latched onto (and I'm not intending to offend anyone on Atkins, South Beach, etc.--like I said, there's a common reason people can find success on these diets); you just need to cut your calories, increase your activity level, and listen to your body.

Try to be cautious with the prepackaged meals like Lean Cuisine; they're often packed full of sodium, which can hinder your efforts.
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    Thank You All~~~Measuring Cups are now on my grocery list! :wink:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale at Walmart for $20, works great!

I've tried many of those other diet plans and had some small success, but nothing permanent and no luck at all this time around. Since I don't plan to go through the whole lose 30 lbs and buy a whole new wardrobe again deal....ever...what I'm doing this time has to be something I can do permanently. So far, so good :happy: .
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I highly recommend the South Beach plan. I don't like to think of it as a diet because it is a plan that weans you into a healthy diet that lasts a lifetime. Its not low-carb as some people think, its only two weeks of low-carb...then you learn to add in healthy carbs and forget to bad ones. You can still have treats and such, nothing is forbidden forever. The point is to get your palate craving healthy complex carbs, good fats and lean protiens.
    Whatever you choose, make sure you are not restricting yourself. Good luck to you!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Atkins and South Beach are not "diet" plans, they are lifestyle changes and should be treated as such. And with these plans, no one is removing any one food group, just decreasing for a while and then move back up.

There is one thing that all diets that "work" have in common: they reduce your calories and increase your fitness level through exercise. You don't need a special diet plan that the media has latched onto (and I'm not intending to offend anyone on Atkins, South Beach, etc.--like I said, there's a common reason people can find success on these diets); you just need to cut your calories, increase your activity level, and listen to your body.

Try to be cautious with the prepackaged meals like Lean Cuisine; they're often packed full of sodium, which can hinder your efforts.
  • nikkoteeny
    nikkoteeny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Atkins and South Beach are not "diet" plans, they are lifestyle changes and should be treated as such. And with these plans, no one is removing any one food group, just decreasing for a while and then move back up.

That's a purely semantic argument. The word "diet" does not mean "quick fix for short-term results." That's just the definition we, as a people obsessed with our weight, have attached to it. In reality, a "diet" is the way that you eat (i.e., "a balanced diet" or "an unbalanced diet"). So I will repeat again, there is a reason why people can find success on various plans. It's not because a specific one of them works; it's because they all employ a common routine that works.