is cottage cheese an acquired taste?

Options
or am I the only one that doesnt like the texture/taste?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've always loved it, so no, I don't think it's an acquired taste. If you don't like it, don't eat it.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I find it gross! (except in lasagna )
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The way you feel about cottage cheese is how I feel about yogurt.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I hated it as a kid. I like it now. As with many processed foods there is a significant taste/texture taste between brands and types.
    I personally like Mr.Es Cottage cheese or whatnot.

But yeah, if you don't like it, skip it =)

I find it's like greek yogurt though, some brands are just god awful.
  • rachleb
    rachleb Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tried a few years ago and I didn't like it, but recently I have started eating it again and I like it! I think it had a lot to do with the large curd and what I was mixing it with. I have been mixing the 2% small curd with diced peaches and pineapples and I eat it almost daily now!
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    I am not sure if it an acquired taste or not, but I actually had some today with nutella and some truvia. It was really good. It was a nice change from mixing it with fruit.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you get. I love drier cottage cheese. Before I moved out of the states he Brookstone fat free was really dry. Since I came back it is really watery. It is still good, but not as good.

However, now I am off non-organic dairy, and I haven't found any good organic cottage cheese, so I haven't eaten any. But if anyone knows any good organic brands and where to get them in the US please message me.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hate the stuff. As I said on another thread... my dad weaned puppies by mixing kibble with cottage cheese. Once you see 12 puppies covered in cottage cheese, you never want to eat it again. Haha
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating it and still love it. It's true that different brands taste very different and vary in texture. But if you really don't like it, move on...
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    I bought the 2% small curd...and have plans to give it another shot in the am...with peaches as someone mentioned...guess no harm in finding it gross and moving on.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, but only Prairie Farms large curd cottage cheese. I don't eat any other kind.
  • thatgirlamy
    Options
    It was for me...the first couple times I tried to make it I could barely get through a bite, but I use it for lasagna a lot so I would always have a spoonful left over that I didnt want to go to waste....anyway now I love it lol
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Just finished a dish of Anderson Erickson - Mr. E's Garden Vegetable Cottage Cheese. :) Love it and I mix in extra veggies.
    It really depends on the brand. I like all the AE stuff but I've had other brands that are just horrible.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've been trying cottage cheese once every 6 months since forever (13) just to check and see if I like it. I do this with milk too.

I don't like either. I don't know why I try and like them.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I guess it is. I acquire it, then I eat it :)
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the taste, the texture makes me gag. Even the thought of the texture makes me gag.
    I will run it through my food processor, and it turns into a cream cheese wannabe, then I like it.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to not like cottage cheese until I was on Atkins years ago, try adding some cinnamon< I got burnt out years ago but now I can eat it again, I get the pineapple and add some cinnamon. or you can make an ambrosia with fruit cottage cheese and coolwhip.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff, especially Lidl's pic frisch cottage cheese. It has a really nice, thick texture. Can't stand it when it is watery.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    this thread needs more vegemite.
  • tamarina09
    tamarina09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't mind the taste, really hate the texture. I keep trying and failing to like the stuff.