Swiss Chard

Options
What do you do with it?? I saw it in the store today and decided to try it but I have no idea how to make it, what it tastes like, etc.

Tried Google but it wasn't overly helpful.

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Try epicurious.com
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A lot of people sautee it, but I have always liked adding it to smoothies!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We stir fry it. But then, we stir fry most things. :-)
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can really do anything with it...I like it in soup, or in a sweet potato rice bowl I learned to make at a cooking class, or in my eggs, or sauteed with a little olive oil and lemon juice. I usually cut up the stems first and cook them longer than the leaves...I chop up the leaves and add them once the stems are fairly tender. I just cook mine in a skillet with a little olive oil. It's delicious, and it looks nice...especially if you get the rainbow chard. Good luck!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Cook it as you would spinach or Collard greens. Was Chard and steam in a small amount of water until tender. I am sure are more exciting ways, but that's the basic idea. I love Swiss Chard...I grew up with grandparents and parents who cooked it fresh from the garden.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You can just steam it or zap it then eat with balsamic vinegar or a little mayo. You can also add it to scrambled eggs, quiche or fritatta.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    mmmm...terrible, but i remeber my aunt grew it in her garden out a t camp. she would like stir fry it with butter and salt. SO BAD! i loved it tho, like way to kill a veggetable, but super tastey. i do not reccommend it at all, lol. i havent heard of that stuff since i was a kid, lol
  • kazzari
    Options
    mmmm...terrible, but i remeber my aunt grew it in her garden out a t camp. she would like stir fry it with butter and salt. SO BAD! i loved it tho, like way to kill a veggetable, but super tastey. i do not reccommend it at all, lol. i havent heard of that stuff since i was a kid, lol

Bad how? Sounds delicious. Unless she used ridiculous amounts of salt. I love butter on my greens. I love butter. I just have to measure carefully to keep within my calories.
  • kazzari
    Options
    You can just steam it or zap it then eat with balsamic vinegar or a little mayo. You can also add it to scrambled eggs, quiche or fritatta.

I seem to remember my grandmother did the vinegar thing. Love those memories. She was an awesome cook and grew all her owe beans and veggies.