Haven't Been to the Gym in Months...

Options
I'm having such a hard time getting back to the gym. I don't know how to do it! I got a membership so I would keep going and the first two months I was in 3-5 times a week! I do things around the house but I haven't gotten on a treadmill or tried to run in forever.

Thankfully, I have been changing my diet since January and have been losing weight from a few simple changes. Mostly just cutting out the coffee+creamer+sugar in the mornings and replacing it with tea. I've lost 15lbs since January! The problem is that I'm not losing any more weight now and I feel that the gym is the place to be. I'm paying for it, right? And yet that doesn't seem to be enough motivation to go... I think I'm afraid of office people asking me, "where have you been?"

Has anybody else struggled with getting back to the gym and if so, how did you overcome it?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid there's only one way to get over it... gett off your *kitten*!

The simgle best way is to make it a habit. Go at the same time every day (or however often you want to go), and just go - no excuses, no other appointments, nothing. That is why I go in the morning, roll out of bed and get in the car, before life has a chance to get in my way.

The other thing is to find something you enjoy. Hate the elliptical? Get off. There are plenty of ways to get fit and lose weight. Life is to short to put up with stuff you hate when there are alternatives. Try going with a friend perhaps, having someone to make the time go faster (and someone to not let down which will stop you skipping sessions). NB, The one exception to this would be lifting heavy stuff though... nothing else will replace the benefits of weight bearing exercise.

Sorry if I come off as bossy, but this is the honest truth. Force yourself to do it in the short term until it becomes a habit... you will thank yourself for it!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    just go , find a new routine , ask a trainer to help you , tell him/her you are bored.. trust me they will find you something u may really like
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    No one will say anything to you when you go back =) You just have to DO IT.

No one has EVER regretted a work out.

Have you ever thought of taking a class? I do really well in a class environment. There's more accountability, and it's fun!
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Go slow. I think it took me a good two weeks to feel what I would say "loose" and back in the groove when this happened to me. After two months, you'll have a new pattern. So go every other day and take it slow. If you jump into this, you will hurt and get turned off. :)
  • twowaymirrors
    Options
    I had a membership, went 2-3 times a week for months and then could not make myself go unless someone was going with me but even that wasn't something I wanted to do. Once my year was up, I cancelled the membership and haven't regretted it once. I've been doing workout dvds I have, or walking/running on my own outside 4-5 days a week since I've cancelled it.

Maybe going to the gym isn't the best workout for you. If you don't like what you're doing it's going to be harder to motivate yourself to go. Have you tried taking some sort of class instead of just going from machine to machine? Try something different so you can find what works for you, even if it's not at the gym. It's easier to stick to a workout routine if you enjoy doing it.
  • kunruh732
    Options
    I actually took a yoga class for college a year ago. I dropped the weight I wanted to in 8 weeks and was extremely proud of my body. Once the class was over I got out of the routine and gained... oh.. 30 pounds or so. I had NEVER gained so much weight before. I don't even know how to get in to another yoga class and the idea of it is so daunting. It definitely is an environment I enjoy though... especially getting graded on how hard I work.

I keep thinking to myself as well- that I need to get off of my bum! I think about it daily while I'm sitting at my desk at work- that I'll go home, change, and go to the gym for an hour before my husband gets home. It never happens. And if I wake up early in the morning I lay in bed for an hour contemplating getting up and going, but there is no drive there whatsoever. UGH. What is wrong with me? >.<