Does running a long distance make you feel ill?

Options
Whenever I run a far distance (15 km and up) it makes me feel physically ill when I'm done. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it the lactic acid build up? Is there anything that I can take or do to either prevent it or feel better afterwards? Today I ran 25 km and again did not feel good afterwards. It's usually about 20 or 30 minutes after my run that I start to feel like I need to throw up. Any thoughts or diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. :sick:

Replies

• coopersmom2006
    Options
    Are you eating prior to your run? if so, what and how long before?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Are you hydrating and refueling during/ after your run? If not, you may be dealing with low blood sugar or dehydration.
  • crystal637
    Options
    I had Greek yogurt and fruit a couple of hours before my run.
  • crystal637
    Options
    I drank 3 bottles of water during my run. I don't usually eat right after because I feel ill. :sick:
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Maybe the dairy is upsetting your stomach? Try toast with peanut (or almond) butter about 45 minutes before your run. Def hydrate during your run. Small sips at a time.

Since its post run that you feel I'll , maybe you need to make sure to eat something small as soon as you are finished? Sorry this keeps happening to you and I hope you figure it out soon!
  • crystal637
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. :smile:
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem, anything over 8 miles or so. My stomach is also really sensitive during, so that I cannot drink much at a time. At water stops I have a few small swallows and am on my merry way. I have also even heaved/physically vomitted after shorter runs (5k's) when I've really pushed myself. Thanks for asking the question, I'm interested to hear people ideas/opinions and very curious if this is common.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider a gel or gummy bears, or some other source of fuel during your run. You are probably low on blood sugars by then.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Crystal, running 25 k is more than a half marathon. When anybody is running a half marathon you have to eat properly before you do it. You have to eat a lot of carbs 3 or 4 days before running a half marathon. You can't just eat fruit and a yogurt, then go run 25 k. Carbing up before a half marathon is what gives you your energy. I suggest if your going to continue to do long runs like that, you need to eat more than a yogurt and just some fruit. Even 10 to 15 k runs, you need energy. That could be why your feeling sick. Try eating a banana and a cup of oatmeal about an hour before you run and that should help you.
  • crystal637
    Options
    I like the idea of gummy bears. Thanks :smile:
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Running a long way only makes my slightly tired. Unless the trots come into play. . . but I digress. . .

Long distance running there's a lot of destruction going on once the glycogen is gone. It's worse if one just goes too hard or to far than what his body can handle: even otherwise fit people can get fairly ill.

Besides one's level of fitness, one also must consider what one needs during a run: Example: I'll go up to 8 without any water or nutrition whatsoever. Past 8 I'll take a gu gel with me and plan a water stop. If not gu then I wouldn't dream of drinking just water: no, I mix up a batch of Nuun (or similar) because water just isn't enough at that distance. I can easily lose 4 to 5 pounds of water in that distance and it needs to be pt back.

If no matter what you do you still feel nauseous, take a benadryl-- works as an antiemetic.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Running a long way only makes my slightly tired. Unless the trots come into play. . . but I digress. . .
    And what is UP with that??? I have to seriously plan for that. And I've been constipated since puberty. :embarassed:
  • crystal637
    Options
    I guess if I'm going to keep increasing the distance I run I have to start behaving like a real runner. I've never considered myself a serious runner. I don't do races I just run to keep fit so I don't really know the proper way to prepare for long distances. I just pick a distance and do it. I should probably start reading up on how real runners prepare for long distances. Thanks for your suggestions. :smile:
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I guess if I'm going to keep increasing the distance I run I have to start behaving like a real runner. I've never considered myself a serious runner. I don't do races I just run to keep fit so I don't really know the proper way to prepare for long distances. I just pick a distance and do it. I should probably start reading up on how real runners prepare for long distances. Thanks for your suggestions. :smile:

Anything over 10 miles and I carb up the day before. I also carry honey stinger cheers with me. They are tasty and give me an energy boost. The most I've done has been 15.07 miles so I can't speak on experiences past that.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you're actually drinking too much during the run. Unless it's very warm out, 3 sport bottles of water could be too much...that's a lot of sloshing in the belly. While dehydration is a concern, hyper-hydration is more serious. If you dilute your electrolytes too severely you could become dangerously ill.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Whenever I run a far distance (15 km and up) it makes me feel physically ill when I'm done. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it the lactic acid build up? Is there anything that I can take or do to either prevent it or feel better afterwards? Today I ran 25 km and again did not feel good afterwards. It's usually about 20 or 30 minutes after my run that I start to feel like I need to throw up. Any thoughts or diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. :sick:

Lactic Acid build up - pain in the proverbial butt!

Years ago, I used to do a lot of track and field athletics and there was a lad in our training group who was a naturally fast sprinter, however, he used to be sick every single training session. We would all be walking around the track to recover from some rep or other and there he would be, puking up over the fence. He was very fit too, he just had this condition whereby he would be sick during training. Perhaps you are the same.

Out of interest have you tried sticking to 12 or 13km during training for a few weeks and then gradually bung on another 500m over the next few sessions? Perhaps some of your predicament is psychological in that you fully expect to feel sick after 15km and upwards and so you become sick.

Hope you get it sorted, that is a nuisance :(
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you probably need to fuel DURING your run as well. Some people use Gu or energy shots. Some like jelly beans or honey. Personally, I like to eat something with more substance. I've experimented with a few different things and I prefer Clif bars broken up into small pieces.

Also, fwiw, I feel sick - well more like just depleted - after long runs too. Usually happens after 15+ miles for me. It's just a long way to run.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you hydrating and refueling during/ after your run? If not, you may be dealing with low blood sugar or dehydration.

This completely!
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Crystal, running 25 k is more than a half marathon. When anybody is running a half marathon you have to eat properly before you do it. You have to eat a lot of carbs 3 or 4 days before running a half marathon. You can't just eat fruit and a yogurt, then go run 25 k. Carbing up before a half marathon is what gives you your energy. I suggest if your going to continue to do long runs like that, you need to eat more than a yogurt and just some fruit. Even 10 to 15 k runs, you need energy. That could be why your feeling sick. Try eating a banana and a cup of oatmeal about an hour before you run and that should help you.

THIS! You need to eat carbs few days before taking a long run, to fill up your glycogen depots.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Body builders frequently feel ill - even to the point of puking - when they've worked a large muscle group like the legs. This is because so much blood has gone to those muscles that their digestive systems are left without enough blood.

Now that I read that, it sounds a bit whacky and may not be true. But, that what I was told. I do know that working large muscles - like doing really heavy squats - can make body builders sick.