why french women don't get fat

Options
13»

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Whilst France does have less overweight and obese females (by %) than either the US or UK they are not the best example in Europe, let alone the World.

According to the WHO Global database on BMI (and yes I know BMI is a crude indicator of health and body fat but it's the best I've found), and using the latest value for each nation:

Estonia, Iceland, Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Norway, Netherlands, and Switzerland all have a lower % of Overweight adult females.

These plus Ireland have a lower % of obese adult females.

You can play about with the data here: http://apps.who.int/bmi/
  • birdieman75
    birdieman75 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It’s all about culture...

The UK is also the single parent teen capital of Europe, children having children and not been educated themselves before having children leading to poor diet choices generation after generation = Obese children and adults.

No one remember the case of the parents passing chips and fast food through the school gates when the school stopped serving unhealthy foods?
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies to this, just wanted to chime in. My mother in law is French and when the French side of my husband's family comes down, there is so much food. They really do eat a lot. At Christmas, we were at the table for four freaking hours at dinner. The kids, at least, aren't afraid of food and I like the way they do things. They all come home for a proper lunch, everyone sits down at the table and they eat for an hour or two. Same with dinner. Everyone has a great time, talking, asking each other about their days. It's lovely.

That being said, they are all at a healthy weight (except my mother in law, who has lived in the UK for a very long time) but they are not all healthy. Several of my husband's cousins have blood pressure/cholesterol problems, one of his uncles had a heart attack a couple of months ago, etc...

I have to say, though. I freaking love the way they eat. I love the family aspect of things, the togetherness of it all. Not that I'm planning to, but if I ever raise a family, I would love to sit down to meals that way. They are so affectionate with each other. Even the boys kiss each other on the cheeks to say hello.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Had a friend who went to Europe (France) for a 1 month vacation. She was a "hippy butt" girl when she went and came back trim up to as lean as her body type would allow. We were in shock. Who goes on vacation then loses weight? She said she ate bread (fresh), cheese and drinks. She WALKED everywhere she went and all day long. They took a train then the walked. They eat what they want but lose it due to exercise.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    My Mum lives in France so i am a regular visitor there, the author obviously hasnt seen some of the women ive seen.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Perhaps too, in general, the average European exercises more? Just throwing this out there. They do it, not for the sake of going out and exercising - but for many, practical reasons or necessity.

For example, when I lived in The Netherlands for 3 years, obesity was highly irregular. People there do eat a lot of fried foods and foods that we would consider 'unhealthy', but they walk or bike *EVERYWHERE*... not for sport, but for a main means of transportation. In a lot of city centers, cars are prohibited and so many have no choice but to bike or walk to work, school, get groceries, shop, etc.

They are always on the go, regardless of their age (it was really nice to see so many older ones biking, too!)
  • toutepechtite
    Options
    Perhaps too, in general, the average European exercises more? Just throwing this out there. They do it, not for the sake of going out and exercising - but for many, practical reasons or necessity.

For example, when I lived in The Netherlands for 3 years, obesity was highly irregular. People there do eat a lot of fried foods and foods that we would consider 'unhealthy', but they walk or bike *EVERYWHERE*... not for sport, but for a main means of transportation. In a lot of city centers, cars are prohibited and so many have no choice but to bike or walk to work, school, get groceries, shop, etc.

They are always on the go, regardless of their age (it was really nice to see so many older ones biking, too!)

This is absolutely true, especially in northern Europe. Bikes are everywhere!

Another thing to keep in mind with the French is that they have very set mealtimes. There is breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. And no eating in between. Even the children have very set schedules for this. When my kids get out of school, they know it's snack time (btw, they get out of school a lot later in France than in most places in the US... usually between 4-5 pm). And often times, snack is actually a sit-down meal. Then dinner around 7ish and that's it. Of course, schedules change by family etc, but on average, this is a pretty typical schedule.

I think Americans snack a lot. In a lot of places in France, big cities being the exception, restaurants aren't even open most of the day. They are open for mealtimes and then close. And a lot of shops close between 12-2 as well, for mealtime!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ever been to France? They walk *everywhere*, they are always active. They eat fresh food, which may mean shopping daily (they have awesome outdoor markets!), and they take their time over their meals, so that they have a chance to feel full, rather than stuffing everything on the table in within 5 minutes.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It is a fact that there are fewer obese people in France than in the UK and US, but it doesn't have the lowest rates of obesity. In developed countries, obesity is strongly correlated with levels of inequality - the bigger the income gap between the rich and poor, the fatter people tend to be.

erm if the figures are percentages then they are rates of obesity.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    heh, this thread is so old! I was just joking. Mostly. I do suspect there are a lot of eating disorders there.

That being said I think the attitudes toward snacking are totally different. People are not afraid to feel hungry for a couple of hours before dinner.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is a fact that there are fewer obese people in France than in the UK and US, but it doesn't have the lowest rates of obesity. In developed countries, obesity is strongly correlated with levels of inequality - the bigger the income gap between the rich and poor, the fatter people tend to be.

Thanks for the correction. There are fewer obese people in France AND they have a lower rate of obesity than the UK and US, howver this is not the lowest obesity rate in developed countries.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I didn't say that there are as many obese French people. For one thing, there are fewer people in France than the U.S. I said the obesity rate was climbing. This article, from 2010, says that France's rate is that of the US in the 1970s and is increasing, so much that anti-obesity programs have been introduced to schools.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/france/100827/obesity-france-paris-food

If you really believed that the French had some kind of eternal secret to thinness, there would be no need for this. Their culture is changing, in part because of the U.S. There's more snacking, and even now the French are not big on adults exercising publicly. Some years ago, I went running in a resort town and some French people were loudly making fun of me.

They don't eat, they smoke, some have eating disorders.