MyFitnessPal vs WeightWatchers?

Options
I have been using both for the past two weeks now, and I have been a WeightWatchers member for quite a while. I am considering dropping WW because of the heavy price, and using MyFitnessPal as the replacement, but I am just curious if anyone else out there has experience with both of these programs? While WW has worked for me in the past, it is doing nothing for my wife, and I feel like we should be on the same program to help eachother out. I'm definitely not trying to advocate another product here, I'm honestly trying to leave one for the other, but I am having a difficult time making a decision.

If anyone here can provide some success stories for converting from WW to MFP, please let me know! I need some encouragement before I cancel my membership there!

Replies

• FleekTastic
    FleekTastic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have had success with both. BUT....1. Its free. 2. I don't have to lug around a "points calculator" 3. The support is much better here than anywhere!!!! Save the money and put it in retirement so you can take your beach body on Vacation. :)
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have done both and found more success with myfitnesspal, I also find it is easier to change things up. The science is easier to understand too.
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    DestroyTheOpposition Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I switched. I used WW for a while. I had success with them... but this seemed more real. I am losing little by little here. I felt like I lost faster with WW, but as soon as I went on my own, I gained weight back. To me, this site seems more like everyday life. You just watch your calorie intake and workout.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was a part of WW for years and lost 20lbs. I found that this site is a good replacement for it and is free! For me I think 1 point was about 50 calories and so when I figured out my calories on here it was pretty close to the points I got on WW. I have lost an additional 13lbs on MFP. I think this is easier as well. Good Luck!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you care about your macros, weight watchers is not the way to go. Also it costs money.
  • Andr1Kar
    Andr1Kar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My sister used both and just recently switched from weight watchers to mfp. She has lost more weight using mfp and it's free!
  • Shyster2005
    Shyster2005 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did WW for years and lost some weight but not enough to make a huge difference. And I didn't keep it off. I think if the WW meetings help you, then that's the big difference. But if you are only doing WW online, MFP is basically EXACTLY the same and it's a lot friendlier to your wallet. I'm still kicking myself for all the $$ I wasted on WW.
  • treatingmybodyright
    treatingmybodyright Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had very minimal success with WW, but I instantly saw results when I started MFP. I think the simply calorie/macro calculator is much easier than counting points. And like everyone else has said, MFP is FREE and the support is phenomenal!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What I have observed with ww is those people who have stopped doing the program end up gaining some if not all of the weight back.. I'm not sure if it is because they lose the support when they stop paying for it or it's because everything is done in terms of points instead of learning what is in the food you are eating that could be impacting your weight. MFP is free and if you use it regularly it is a great way to track yourself and find some great support.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers a long time ago and I don't think I ever lost more than 10lbs total. I have been much more successful on MFP and find it way easier to track everything!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have done both and found more success with myfitnesspal, I also find it is easier to change things up. The science is easier to understand too.

Very True!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Essentially the difference between MFP and WW is counting calories or counting points. And the meetings if you go. I think if you're successful with WW, you can be on MFS, as well.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    Honestly as a mother of 6 I came here I cant afford to risk money on WW reason I say risk is that it may or may not work. I find MFP easier because it doesnt do points but real calories something I can manage in everyday life.

so my opinion is MFP > WW
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What I have observed with ww is those people who have stopped doing the program end up gaining some if not all of the weight back.. I'm not sure if it is because they lose the support when they stop paying for it or it's because everything is done in terms of points instead of learning what is in the food you are eating that could be impacting your weight. MFP is free and if you use it regularly it is a great way to track yourself and find some great support.

And if you stop counting and tracking on MFP, you could regain the weight as easily as you would if you stop following WW. The same can be said for ALL weight loss programs. If you go back to old habits, you regain.

WW, if taught and learned and followed properly, teaches healthy, balanced eating. It is the same as MFP, but a different method of counting.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    WeightWatchers works for a lot of people. But I found that WeightWatchers really doesnt work for me. The meetings were just okay but they really didnt compel me to change my eating habits. Also you have to go consistently for a year before anybody even asks "Who are you?" and then to develop a relationship outside of those meetings....good luck. On MFP I think the support is much better. There are all kinds of people at your fingertips with information. People who just need to lose 20 lbs to people who need to lose 100. Men and women who have done and now their in maintenance. People genuinely try to get to know you and I really enjoy MFP. My suggestion is that weight loss is an individual thing and only happens when you make the decision. I think its commendable that you want to be on the same program with your wife. However what if you get off WW and then MFP works for her but not for you. I say try to find what works for her so she can get her weightloss game going. So what if you log your food with WW and she logs hers with MFP. You guys are both working towards the same goal. Once she gets the ball rolling you can revisit the issue and maybe you can get off WW. Hope I helped some, GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    This is secondly better.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I too have been a Weight Watchers member, more than once. The main thing that Weight Watchers has over any online site is the face-to-face meetings and weigh ins. I started running my own weight loss challenges to make up for this and join any in person ones that I can. Currently I am running one 9 week challenge with friends and family and am in one at my husbands work! You could run your own weight loss challenges! I just do a starting weigh in and a end weigh in because of conflicting schedules, $5 to join, and then have all the money go to prizes. This is the third one I have ran and I usually get 10-12 people out of my friends and family to join:).
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tricia, with WW, you eat a lot of their branded food, with MFP, you learn what you normally eat translates into calories and adjust portion sizes to reflect and generally eat more healthy and once you realise this is where you went wrong its can be easier to maintain.

However if like me you binge eat chocolate cause its LUSH, then its just discipline, and MPF helps, record before you eat is the key, it will then stop you eating all you need is a phone and a 3G connection, and it can prevent accidents from happening.

I think MFP is a great educator, whereas WW is a program you follow, then when you stop it ends, ... hence why people keep having to go back.

You either give people water who need it, or give them a means to save their own, this is a tool FREE so you can do it yourself!!!

Happy days ... love it! MFP all the way baby!!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

And if you stop counting and tracking on MFP, you could regain the weight as easily as you would if you stop following WW. The same can be said for ALL weight loss programs. If you go back to old habits, you regain.

WW, if taught and learned and followed properly, teaches healthy, balanced eating. It is the same as MFP, but a different method of counting.

True bottom line is it needs to be a life style change and a commitment to stick to it for whatever works for an individual.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!