#@*&* HFCS!!!

Options
Gogo
Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
This crap is in everything!!! I thought that I had a pretty well balanced diet with no HFCS. I eat pretty clean most of the time. I splurge and let myself have a Fiber One oats & chocolate bar every once in a while to tame the chocolate cravings-- thinking that I am still being healthy right??!!:wink:

I made the mistake of reading the ingredients today and the dreaded high fructose corn syrup is in there!! I should have just broken down and eaten a piece of chocolate and said forget the fiber! :grumble:

Replies

• beckyi88
    Options
    I need a radical overhaul on my diet ,but it's overwhelming because you're right...that stuff is everywhere! It's hard to even begin because even when you think you're being healthy...there it is!
    And I know there will be those who say if you truly eat clean and avoid all processed foods you don't ever have to worry about it, but seriously! It is everywhere!!!!
    Sorry for the vent! But, I understand exactly what you are saying!!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is! It's in ketchup and BBQ sauce, crackers, breads, yogurts, even chocolate milk!

You can do it, just watch the processed foods and read labels!!!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult to avoid in any "convenience' type food. I really love to have snack bars, I've looked back at the packaging of some that I have eaten in the past and they are terrible with all of the additives and preservatives. I'm really happy with the Kashi brand, their granola and snack bars are good and from what I can tell they don't have much bad in them. You might look for those.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    It is really difficult to avoid in any "convenience' type food. I really love to have snack bars, I've looked back at the packaging of some that I have eaten in the past and they are terrible with all of the additives and preservatives. I'm really happy with the Kashi brand, their granola and snack bars are good and from what I can tell they don't have much bad in them. You might look for those.

Kashi has good ones and so does Cascadian Farms. They make a dark chocolate almond fiber plus bar that has NO HFCS. :wink:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Some of us make our own mayonnaise, salad dressings, ketchup, barbeque sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc.............

It is possible to do, just takes time and planning.

I need a radical overhaul on my diet ,but it's overwhelming because you're right...that stuff is everywhere! It's hard to even begin because even when you think you're being healthy...there it is!
    And I know there will be those who say if you truly eat clean and avoid all processed foods you don't ever have to worry about it, but seriously?!?! Are you really going to tell me that it is possible to never, ever let a piece of food with some form of processing pass your lips and you don't spend every minute of your life raising your own meat, milking your own cows, getting eggs from your chickens, growing a garden, sprouting grains and then spend whatever is left in your day in the kitchen!?!?!? ARGHHH!!! It seems truly impossible!!!!:grumble:
  • beckyi88
    Options
    Some of us make our own mayonnaise, salad dressings, ketchup, barbeque sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc.............

And I know there will be those who say if you truly eat clean and avoid all processed foods you don't ever have to worry about it, but seriously?!?! Are you really going to tell me that it is possible to never, ever let a piece of food with some form of processing pass your lips and you don't spend every minute of your life raising your own meat, milking your own cows, getting eggs from your chickens, growing a garden, sprouting grains and then spend whatever is left in your day in the kitchen!?!?!? ARGHHH!!! It seems truly impossible!!!!:grumble:

Unfortunately I can't think of anything worse than spending that much time in the kitchen. I hate the kitchen! I hate to cook! I keep buying cookbooks and trying to learn. Maybe they'll invent a magic pill to make me like it, but until then I HATE THE KITCHEN!!!! :laugh:
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options

Kashi has good ones and so does Cascadian Farms. They make a dark chocolate almond fiber plus bar that has NO HFCS. :wink:

Thanks! I will look for those. I don't eat them that often. Every great once in a while. But I don't have much weight to lose and therefore feel like I can't afford to mess up at all. I would hate to find out later on down the road that Fiber One bars were my diet pitfall.:wink:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

How do you make ketchup??? That is my one weakness:blushing:
    It would be great to make it myself!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I can't think of anything worse than spending that much time in the kitchen. I hate the kitchen! I hate to cook! I keep buying cookbooks and trying to learn. Maybe they'll invent a magic pill to make me like it, but until then I HATE THE KITCHEN!!!! :laugh:

I'm with you Becky! I feel the SAME WAY! :laugh: I'm forever saying I don't have "Betty Crocker" or "Julia Child" on my forehead, and how it's a good thing my husband didn't marry me for my cooking! :laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Here is the recipe that I use from another low carb web site I belong to. It is home made and sugar free.
    Name Homemade Sugar free ketchup
    Category Sauce

Ingredients :
    3 cups canned tomatoes (first remove seeds, then puree in blender)
    2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2 packets Sweetner (stevia, splenda, nutrasweet)

Directions
    Step: 1 Put everything into a saucepan and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 hours stirring often. It will thick like the famous stuff. Take off heat and cool. Stir in 2 pkg sweetner. Pour into a jar. Keeps 4 months in the fridge.

I just also want to note that I found this on another site.

Nutrition Information
    Makes 24 oz at .83 carbs per Tbsp

How do you make ketchup??? That is my one weakness:blushing:
    It would be great to make it myself!
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I'm with you Becky! I feel the SAME WAY! :laugh: I'm forever saying I don't have "Betty Crocker" or "Julia Child" on my forehead, and how it's a good thing my husband didn't marry me for my cooking! :laugh:

Well, I guess you could say that is one of the few down falls of eating clean and healthy. It takes time, prepping and planning to be able to be successful.

I love to cook and experiment, so that is right up my alley.................

Anything processed is not healthy in any means..................even the so called "health food" - if it has any processing in it, it is not healthy.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about this thread is I was just thinking last night that I need to get my mom's recipe for bbq sauce because I hate all the crap they put in store bought.:grumble: :laugh:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This crap is in everything!!! I thought that I had a pretty well balanced diet with no HFCS. I eat pretty clean most of the time. I splurge and let myself have a Fiber One oats & chocolate bar every once in a while to tame the chocolate cravings-- thinking that I am still being healthy right??!!:wink:

I made the mistake of reading the ingredients today and the dreaded high fructose corn syrup is in there!! I should have just broken down and eaten a piece of chocolate and said forget the fiber! :grumble:

I know I keep saying this in all the threads where ladies bring up the desire for chocolate, but we CAN have our chocolate and EAT it too! Raw cacao powder and nibs are AWESOME! Last night I was experimenting with my smoothie and ended up with "ice cream!" It's essentially mint chocolate chip without all the sugar and high cals. If anyone's interested in the recipe, I'll share it; it's pretty much just a li'l variation of the smoothie I make. I have 3 daughters, and all of us LOVE it!! We don't miss the processed goodies at all!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I know I keep saying this in all the threads where ladies bring up the desire for chocolate, but we CAN have our chocolate and EAT it too! Raw cacao powder and nibs are AWESOME! Last night I was experimenting with my smoothie and ended up with "ice cream!" It's essentially mint chocolate chip without all the sugar and high cals. If anyone's interested in the recipe, I'll share it; it's pretty much just a li'l variation of the smoothie I make. I have 3 daughters, and all of us LOVE it!! We don't miss the processed goodies at all!

I agree. I love a piece of dark chocolate when I have a craving.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I agree. I love a piece of dark chocolate when I have a craving.

Yep, one small square of dark chocolate satisfies a craving like nothing else, it is low in carbs and sugar too.

The bitterness of it took some getting used to for me as I am not much of a chocolate person.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Im wit you on that one..ITs all about MODERATION to Me I am A professional cook when I get off from work I dont feel like it..But on the other hand Ive been loosing weight well so I must be doing something right:happy: :laugh: The streets want stop talking
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For Ketchup, I use the Annie's Naturals brand. It does have sugar, but no HFCS - tastes sooo much better.
  • celineviolette
    Options
    If you try shopping at health food places, sometimes their products are higher priced, but their food almost always has higher quality ingredients. No HFCS!

I like Balance Bars and Clif Bars for chocolate cravings along with nutrition. The Clif Bars have fibre as well. I like to eat them for breakfast. :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    For Ketchup, I use the Annie's Naturals brand. It does have sugar, but no HFCS - tastes sooo much better.

Meijer has an organic line and they have an organic ketchup w/ no HFCS. My family loves it now, it's definitely not as sweet as Heinz, a bit tangier. :bigsmile: Which is good because 8yo dd who thinks every type of meat must be slathered in ketchup. :laugh:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    my problem with the kashi brand is that it has soy for its protein. and as discussed in a thread many months ago, soy has its own problems/controversies.

try avoiding both soy and its derivatives and hfcs and then you're left w/practically nothing processed/convenient.
    and i'm not at all inclined to eat only clean. just not my thing.

anyway, hear the frustration--but you can succeed in this change in lifestyle! :flowerforyou: