How fast is normal on a treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• Iluvcheezits
    Iluvcheezits Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Finally some answers! It's hard to find on the web. With everyone's answers I have a good idea of where I will try to start.

Thanks Again!!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think the treadmills at my gym must be in km because all these answers seem way too slow to me.

I walk at 6.5 and run at 10 and I am both very short and very slow!
  • stephanierae2804
    Options
    Everyone is different, and especially because you're a beginning runner you can't compare yourself. After running a FULL MARATHON and running for almost 4 years, I am just now running comfortably at 6.0 on the treadmill, and most of the time I still run at 5.5-5.8 except for tempo sessions. When I first started, I was running at a 4.5.

You're DOING IT. Be proud. You can speed up later - work on distance and time now.
  • pclarinetto
    pclarinetto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    man, i started out running 4mph. i can now walk at that speed, but it looks like i'm speed walking and i can't keep it up for very long. i have a short stride and a natural slow walking pace anyway, so i'm going to say it's ok. :P

after a week 4mph did seem really slow and i bumped it up to 4.5mph. now i'm between 5 and 5.5mph with random quarter miles of 6mph. it's just something you work on.

better to start off slow and work you're way up. keeps injury away i think.
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

You're DOING IT. Be proud. You can speed up later - work on distance and time now.

This is huge. I need to tell myself that every day that I struggle to run at 5.0 on the treadmill for more than 5 minutes. I'm doing it, I'm going to keep doing it, and I'll get better eventually. Slow and steady.