C25K How much did you weigh?

Options
So I am NOT a runner. Never in my life have I been a runner. But I'd sort of like to be. My question is, how much did you weigh when you started to run? (C25K or another program.) My knees are not super happy with me at any given point, and I'm thinking I shouldn't even think about starting a running program until I'm under 200, to try and alleviate some of the pressure on my knees. But I'm curious about what other people have done? Was your weight an issue that you considered at all, or did you just get out there and move?

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was over 250 pounds when I started. I am down to 242 now and starting week 7 today. I am slow, but I am moving and burning calories. I would say to give it a shot if you feel up to it, but listen to your body. Repeat days or weeks if you need to. I never thought that I would be able to run, but I can now run for 25 minutes straight. I love the way I feel when I am done. Good luck to you.
  • Lynvincible2012
    Lynvincible2012 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Started last week at 148lbs. Knees absolutley KILLING me.... :(
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I was pushing 240 about 3 years ago when I started C25K. I kept with it and have lost almost 90 lbs and have not only completed several 5ks but 10s, half marathons and most recently ran my first marathon the first of this month.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I was right around 170 when I started...I'm at 160 now and I'm on Week 7. And I LOVE C25K!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    started it at 275, I am still over the 200lbs (just) and I run 5-10 km all the time..

<<<<< oh and those are my running legs!!
  • ChristyK720
    ChristyK720 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started last week and I weigh 227. I'm not the fastest but I'm burning calories and proud of myself! I'm looking forward to week 2!
  • laurenrx
    laurenrx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started at greater than 250lbs and it did hurt a lot... I run SLOOOOOOW. I care more about duration (time wise) than speed right now. I think that helps. It gets easier on your joints, just listen to your body and take your time.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at about 210, knees were killing me until about week 4 when the weight really started to come off.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 5 today (after several weeks of repeating week 4). Currently at 243lbs. When I started, I was at 255.

Good running shoes is key....made the mistake of running in the shoes I wear at Zumba during week 1...and couldn't walk right for a few days!
  • ChristyK720
    ChristyK720 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    just noticed you live in LA as well...I'm in Slidell! How cool!
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 180 and I am now up to running 30 minutes straight...I learned I had to slow down a bit (I was trying to run too fast before). I have to admit it is much easier to run now that I am under 200lbs.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I started at 196. I'm 185 now and finishing it up this week (in theory). The key is to go at your own pace. It's not a race, it's a lifestyle! :wink:

The best thing you could do for yourself is to go and get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. This will save your knees a lot of suffering! If you can find it, go to a running clinic, so they can help you with your stride to minimize injury.
  • cadency
    cadency Posts: 51
    Options
    Started over 200. I had high end nike air max 2011 and tried running with those... HORRIBLE for my knees. I switched to vibram five fingers and have no pain in my knees or in my ankles. Sometimes, I have 'em in my feet but that's because I'm using new foot muscles :)

So... invest in good shoes! Makes you more likely to stay committed.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was 215 when I started C25K and it was rough but I was able to get through it. I had to repeat some of the weeks several times until I felt comfortable enough to move on. This was in June. Now, almost 11 months later I am training for my first half marathon and I ran 10 miles 2 days ago (current weight: 171). You can do it!! I know it is so hard, but if you just keep pushing, I promise you'll get there! You WILL be a runner!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    175, I think. My knee gave me some trouble as well, because I'm 97 years old. I started taking fish oil and that helped. Maybe look into join supplements? Also, make sure you are wearing the right shoes. I went to a running shop and they analyzed my gait and all that. It was worth it.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started it at 273.
  • beckers80
    beckers80 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    230 started on week 2 You can do it, just start slow and speed will come later.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was just under 200 when I first started C25K and I have good days & bad as far as my knees are concerned (I have a previous knee injury from a car accident), so some days I nurse my knees and go easy on them. Some days I go balls to the wall and push beyond my previous limits. It just depends. I have a friend who is around 250 and she said that doing C25K on asphalt was too much for her knees to handle, but she does just fine with it on the treadmill.

I think it's going to vary from person to person, day to day, but my best advice is to just give it a try. Best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 174lb back in December, did 5k by early Jan, and a half-marathon on 1st April. I was worried about my knees as I'd had previous problems, and I think I was right to be worried. Knees continued to hurt throughout training, so I am now back down to 4-5 miles max and will stay there, but mainly doing cross training/cycling instead. Now 161lb though :)
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm 298 and just started it it is really hard but i found out a lot of my pain was caused by my shoes, not my weight. I went to this store that scans your feet and picks out a shoe that fits your needs, its still really hard but I have less pain and it is easier to run now.