"Fat" Days??

Options
2»

Replies

• jaroyan
    jaroyan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are good for you as long as you remain within your allotted calories for the week. I try to make sure that my intake fluctuates from day to day even by a few hundred calories (i.e. 1300 one day and 1500-1600 the next). This type of fluctuation can really keep your metabolism up and avoids the pitfalls of your brain/body falling into starvation mode.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Cheat day? No. Did that twice the past month, and never again.

Cheat snack? Yeah, sure. :) I just gotta pay for it in the gym later.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i dont. i save any calorie excess for vacations. so a few days every 3 months or so. and then i usually dont go crazy.
  • Eccendentesiast
    Options
    I'll have cheat meals occasionally, but only if I've worked my a$s off for it.
    Sometimes though, I have a cheat day and don't work for it, however these are more of a binge for me, because I don't start the day thinking "I'm going to have a cheat day today!" it just kind of happens. So I avoid total 'on purpose' cheat days, because I just end up feeling like complete and utter crap about myself for the next few days so...
    However every now and then it's nice to have a treat, and as long as you get yourself back on track the next day, it's okay.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I DO! :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you eat something sweet every day and just track it, then you don't need a cheat day or a "fat" day as you call it.

Poptarts, ice cream, chocolate milk, etc.
  • hounds726
    hounds726 Posts: 63
    Options
    I try to have a cheat meal every once in awhile, but I find myself in the gym the same day working off the extra calories :) So it all balances out. You work for what you want!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have "cheat meals" but normally still keep it below my calorie goal by eating it in moderation... but i definitely let the sodium fly out the window and work out the next day to sweat it out along with loads of water!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have "cheat meals" but normally still keep it below my calorie goal by eating it in moderation... but i definitely let the sodium fly out the window and work out the next day to sweat it out along with loads of water!

and like Hounds - i normally have a heavy workout that day and have the excess calories to consume regardless.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i used to do cheat meals/days .. but this time around, there is no need for it

i eat what ever i want within my calories ...

but with that said .. what ever works for you
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've been on a weight-loss/healthy lifestyle regime for 4 years now..and due to my work schedule, I give myself the weekends (Saturday and Sunday) off. After 4 years and 50lbs lost--I need a break from the craziness of calorie counting and sometimes just want to live like a "normal" person who doesn't CARE how many calories or macros are in something. I haven't had a TRUE weight gain--meaning I gain 2-5lbs over the weekend, but by Tues and back to my weight from Friday.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I allowed myself to be completely reckless over the Easter weekend, and boy am I paying for it now!! I shot up 8 pounds after that weekend, and have only been able to drop about 4 of those pounds since. I'm going about it differently this week... I don't think the day is bad as long as you keep yourself under control and on track otherwise. I've been losing consistently by being more "relaxed" on the weekends during my rest days. It has worked out pretty well.

Basically, you have to figure out what will work for you, and make sure you remind yourself that you did a cheat day if you weigh yourself and gained after that day.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I had been doing "cheat" days, but after this weekend, that's coming to an end. My cheat day turned into a cheat weekend! Ugh! :embarassed:
  • HumbleMama2
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I had heard about them, but didn't think of doing a whole day, it would make me feel like crap Im sure LOL But a cheat meal sounds reasonable, of course I would have to work out harder, but it would be worth it! Thanks for the tips everyone!! :)
  • rdewitt1
    rdewitt1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have them, but they completely ruin my weight loss for the week. You are going to have them, but I wouldn't give them to yourself as a reward. You're giving too much power to food if you do. The only way they should be a reward is if you work hard enough to cancel out those extra calories. Mine make me feel more guilty and disappointed than rewarded, anyway.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Does anyone allow themselves a "fat day" one day a week, a day in which they can eat more calories than normal?
    I don't look at daily results... I think more of the Big Picture.

I eat more or less what I want to eat, just not in the vast quantities that I used to eat. That's not to say I don't make choices - I don't eat the vast quantities of pasta and bread that I used to consume as comfort food - but most days I'm under my target, so if I go over on other days, it's all checks and balances and as long as I keep losing and not gain significantly, then it works for me. :happy:

Ultimately, to be successful in this weight-loss game you either have to be super-disciplined (which let's face it, most of us aren't otherwise we'd never have had issues with over-eating) or realistic. Being realistic is finding a sustainable food and exercise plan that works for you, fits into your life without too much sacrifice and disruption and most importantly, one that you enjoy. For if you cannot enjoy life, then methinks something needs to change!

Take care, good luck and most of all enjoy life!