Desk jobs and exercise

Options
I currently have a desk job and while it was "neat" in the beginning to sit on the internet all day long (I'm a kind of an internet junkie), it gets old quick. I use to work in retail where I was moving constantly (worked at the JCPenney shoe department) and while my feet hurt (lol), I was in much better shape just from walking/standing pretty much 5 to 8 hours a day.

So, I guess my question is, do people who work on their feet versus those who have a desk job find their "fitness" level to be different? While I make time to exercise almost every day, I can't help but feel like being on my feet and moving around would help me more than sitting does.

Is this true or am I just being silly hopeful?

Replies

• SlimSammy2012
    Options
    That's simple. Yes....Many years ago I was a Mall cop. Yes, I said it and happily admit it! Walked all Day! could out run a lot of youger theirves that youcould ever imagine. Been sitting for over 22 years and with age, well, that just sucks! I need to get up and walk alot!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Elevate your desk two feet and stand up all day instead of sit down.
  • mannasat81
    Options
    I started gaining more weight when I got a desk job. I've been at a desk for almost 10 years now and I have definetly noticed a big difference. When you are up moving around all day, your burning more calories so I think you stay "fitter".
    I just started exercising about a month ago, about 3 days a week and it's hard. I don't think it would be as hard and I could probably do better if I would have had a more physical job these past 10 years.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Elevate your desk two feet and stand up all day instead of sit down.

Wow, I think that is the best Idea I ever heard! Gotta find me some big Bricks!!!
  • prolifik51
    Options
    You really do have to go out of your way to get your exercise in when you get home. Your family will think you're crazy for working out all the time, but when all you do is sit for 8-9 hours a day, you have to make it up somehow.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I sit all day. It sucks. I try and do at least 30-40 min of cardio on my lunch break at the little gym down in our building. Then I usually go to the gym at night with my husband 4-5x a week as well. I gained a lot of weight form sitting here.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I sit on an exercise ball. My co-workers think I'm a riot but I'm keeping my core strong.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I feel you! I managed a pet store and it kept my weight in check despite me eating not so good. Then I moved for my boyfriend and got a job as a nanny. Here you are thinking I'd be running around all the time eh? Not so much with winter. I sat around and my employers constantly buy snacks and garbage for me to eat during the day should I want it. Which is SUPER nice of them but not so nice for me when I watch my clothes stop fitting.

I make a point now to use their home gym everyday for cardio for about 40 minutes. When I get home I have two pups so I make sure I don't get lazy (like I was where I was just letting them out in the backyard and giving them a five minute walk every so often like a bad dog mum) and take them for a good 30 - 60 minute walk.

On a side note - just opened the pantry to grab the kids a snack today and noticed my employers have stocked up again on cookies, chocolate and chips. AHHHH.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I sit on an exercise ball. My co-workers think I'm a riot but I'm keeping my core strong.

do you really??? thats awesome! haha
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job, but I walk on all my breaks. I keep my headphones on as well & always dancing around. Some people think I'm crazy, but a lot of people here know I've lost a lot of weight & always looking for ways to lose more.

I suggest doing mini-challenges each day. Some days I will do a set of squats each time I go to the bathroom, I do crunches while I'm seated, see if I can walk for at least 20mins of my hour lunch.. things like that.

Anything to sneak in excerise and burn more calories! I also wear my HRM at work so I know how much I'm burning when I'm doing extra workouts, but usually do not log them unless i'm doing a long walk at lunch time.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    I think I seen Jillian Michaels tweet before telling everyone to stand up instead of sit because it burns more calories. But scientifically I have no clue, but moving around more even if just a little bit is better than nothing!
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I was thinking about that, but I'm a little worried one of the girls here would deflate or pop it
  • AngieCook09
    AngieCook09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work retail, on my feet, for 11 years and stayed pretty small. 5 years(at my desk job) and 2 babies later I have joined MFP with 40 lbs to lose.

You have to find time to get that cardio in. I walk 2 miles daily on my lunch hour and go to the gym 3-4 times a week.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Does your job offer anything to stay more "active" at work? I know our office will raise our desks if we want to stand all day, or will provide us with a stability ball to sit on instead of a chair (nearly everyone in my department, including me, uses this!), and power outlets and trays on our cardio equipment in our gym so you can plug up your work laptop while you walk/bike/etc. I'd contact HR to see if anything like that is offered...it helps a lot!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

Dwight? Is that you???? =)
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've gained 30 pounds in the last year from having a desk job (we also have a serious office snacks problem around here, so that's part of it). I have been trying to make up for it by commuting on foot (a 30-minute walk) and I've just started working with a trainer and going to the gym 5x/week or so. I also have a box on the corner of my desk to elevate my laptop so I can work standing up for part of the day. I don't know if that helps me burn calories, but it saves my back from sitting in an office chair all day.
  • rolley89
    rolley89 Posts: 13
    Options
    2 years ago I switched from a kitchen job to a desk job with AC. I gained 20lbs in 4 months. My diet and exercise size stayed the same. Now I do not eat zaxbys and all the good stuff :(
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    It's definitely more challenging to stay fit with a desk job. I work out as soon as I get home, and I walk fast for 20 minutes before lunch each day. If it applies, take the stairs to another floor to use the bathroom, walk to co-worker's desks instead of emailing sometimes, and get up and stretch often. When I used to teach it was much easier to stay in shape since I was on my feet all day long.
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    I also have a desk job. I try to get up and walk around every 30 minutes or so - bathroom, get some water, etc. I also try to walk on my lunch breaks. I do small little ab crunches and butt clenchs while I am sitting down working too :)
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I have a desk job working in real estate. It can be boring a lot and have nothing to do but luckily it's part time, 5 hours a day 5 days a week. I recently applied for a job with Macys and got it. I not only needed a little more money to help pay down my school tuition so I can graduate next year but I desperately wanted a job that would get me off my butt!

Probably increased my income by $500-1,000/month and will be increasing my health at the same time...no downsides!