Why do you run/exercise or what motivates you?

Options
AshRyd
AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
My friend and co-worker disappeared on June 1, 2011 - my "get in shape" journey started when we scheduled her memorial 5K run/walk for June 2, 2012. She was a great inspiration to many of us - losing a large amount of weight after having triplets and living a great lifestyle and working with a trainer. When I run in the evening and I start to get tired I think, I can run and my friend Jacque can not, I run for those that can no longer run, i run for those that are scared, i run for those that need help, i run because I am lucky enough to be able to run, i will run and take care of myself because I am still here to do so and I will speak for those that cannot. I will sign up and pay my money to run a 5K to help all others. Today Jacque's husband was finally arrested on murder charges! We may not have Jacque, but he will finally be punished for her disappearance and death! and tonight I will run for that reason, because today we begin to get closure.

Replies

• StarIsMoving
    Options
    That's amazing! I am also glad justice is being done for your friend.

My inspiration for all the fitness I can fit in, not just health, but appreciation as well. We have had eye-openers in our family (those closer to me know the details) and I am SOOOO thankful for my mobility!! I want to push it, condition myself for more, and continue it as long as I am blessed.

Whatever the inspiration, realize that you ALSO might be an inspiration to someone who is watching you go too. You could make a difference for someone else without even realizing it :)
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    Oh my goodness - that's a heart breaking story especially on the note of triplets. That's absolutely devastating. I hope closure comes to you all in one way or another.

I run/exercise because I don't want to always be unhappy with myself. It's not acceptable to me just not care about how I am. It's hurting my health, its hurting my relationship and I'm not okay with that.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    that story breaks my heart especially when i think of the children left behind.
    What wonderful motivation to keep you running!!! And I agreee with StartsMoving- you may be the motivation for others!!!
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    Heart wrenching story! I am glad you will finally be able to get closure.

I don't have something like that motivating me but I just keep repeating over and over in my head "If _____ can run this, so can I." Seems shallow in the midst of your story! :ohwell:
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    not getting shot and killed in combat..pretty good motivation
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your friend. But what an amazing impact she had on others that they held a 5K in her honor- truly a testament!

As for motivation, there's a list...
    * My husband who has lost 100 pounds himself and is training for a half marathon and truly believes in me.
    * My kids, to whom I am showing a healthier way of life.
    * For myself, who quit running cross country because I hated it....no, there were other things in your life you hated, you just blamed running.
    * For my friends who support me and have encouraged me while running - and have slowed their pace to run with me. Their support is so important.