importance of weight training vs cardio

Options
i hope i don't sound like an exercise dummy. lol.
i've always had this impression that cardio is where it's at, and doing any type of strength/weight training is really only necessary AFTER you've lost fat and want to tone. but after doing jillian's 30 day shred and reading some things online, i'm feeling like weight training is just as important, if not even more important (?) as cardio. i know they're both important, but it seems that building the muscle WHILE i'm trying to lose the fat helps me lose the fat faster AND keep it off?
i'm really not super educated about this type of stuff so any info helps!

Replies

• gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading the book called "Which Comes First: Cardio or Weights?" This book was published last year, and is an easy read. It is based on a number of various studies (most from universities) and analysis of world-class athletes. It disspells a lot of exercise myths, but also gives good advice on what is best based on desired goals.

In the end, both are important (cardio to help keep your cardiovascular system in shape) and weights (to build strength in muscle and bones). Additionally, many people forget there are actually 4 facets to physical fitness: cardio, strength (resistance), flexibility (stretching), and balance. Many of these can be combined into various exercises.

Ultimately, it depends on what your goals are as to which you should focus on more. However, in my humble opinion, it is critically important to your overall health to focus on cardio, weights, flexibility, balance, AND nutrition.

Good luck!

greg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i've always had this impression that cardio is where it's at, and doing any type of strength/weight training is really only necessary AFTER you've lost fat and want to tone. but after doing jillian's 30 day shred and reading some things online, i'm feeling like weight training is just as important, if not even more important (?) as cardio. i know they're both important, but it seems that building the muscle WHILE i'm trying to lose the fat helps me lose the fat faster AND keep it off?

strength training while in a deficit will help you retain your current muscle mass, if you don't strength train while in a deficit you will acutally lose muscle mass, not just fat.

Cardio is great for endurance and heart health but is not needed for weight loss. The deficit needed to lose weight can be done through diet alone, cardio will allow you to eat more and have the same deficit.
  • estinson79
    Options
    I have been relying on cardio for the last year for weight loss and was not seeing any results. Just a few weeks ago I decided to start using machines at the gym and lifting weights, and really pushing myself. I have since lost 4 pounds, not a huge amount but a very quick boost in the right direction. I fully believe that weights are as important as cardio!
  • erickirb
    Options
    I have been relying on cardio for the last year for weight loss and was not seeing any results. Just a few weeks ago I decided to start using machines at the gym and lifting weights, and really pushing myself. I have since lost 4 pounds, not a huge amount but a very quick boost in the right direction. I fully believe that weights are as important as cardio!

focus on compound lifting movements and your results will be 5x what they are using machines.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the new rules of lifting for women. Basically weights build lean muscle which help with your metabolism and cardio builds endurance and flexibility. Both are very important.
  • etf5020
    etf5020 Posts: 4
    Options
    Cardio is probably the most important for your body and health just because of the fact your heart and lungs are always being used. That being said, cardio and weight training both will help you lose fat I think because cardio burns calories and muscles are require burning a lot more calories just to keep your body healthy. So I wouldn't say that one is particularly more important but that both have their advantages and should be treated as such.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for endurance and heart health but is not needed for weight loss.

I disagree. Cardio is great for weight/fat loss and it is absolutely necessary to do. If I stop doing any kind of cardio and just focus on lifting -- while still eating properly -- I gain weight and it's not all muscle.

A combination of weights and cardio activity will help you drop the pounds.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

strength training while in a deficit will help you retain your current muscle mass, if you don't strength train while in a deficit you will acutally lose muscle mass, not just fat.

Cardio is great for endurance and heart health but is not needed for weight loss. The deficit needed to lose weight can be done through diet alone, cardio will allow you to eat more and have the same deficit.

This!!
    Start now, and you'll maintain more muscle, end up looking better when you reach your goal weight, and have less need to spend time focusing on "toning" as you'll pretty much be there already :smile:

Weight training should not hinder your weight loss efforts, if the calorie deficit (through food and/or diet) is the same. With any exercise you may experience temporary water weight, which can be discouraging if you go by just the scale, but don't worry about that, it will go. Take measurements as well, they are a great indicator of progress!!

ETA: I'm currently losing weight (fat) through a calorie deficit in my diet. I lift weights, but don't do any cardio at all - apart from being quite active in daily life.
  • karla3992493
    Options
    What are " compound lifting movements"?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for endurance and heart health but is not needed for weight loss.

I disagree. Cardio is great for weight/fat loss and it is absolutely necessary to do. If I stop doing any kind of cardio and just focus on lifting -- while still eating properly -- I gain weight and it's not all muscle.

Plain and simple, you are not eating what you think then. All that cardio does from a weight loss perspective is allow you to eat more while maintaining the same deficit.

I think the most telling thing is that even sources like runner's world advocate strength training, but some pure strength training sites acknowledge that cardio should be done only for the cardiovascular benefits... and too much cardio is bad for muscle building and retention
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Yep
  • erickirb
    Options

That is false, if you lowered your intake by the amount you burn in cardio you would lose the same amount of weigh as you do with cardio
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Lifting movements that target more than one muscle at a time.

Ex:
    Bicep curls are isolation exercises, they target just the biceps.
    Movements such as squat, deadlifts, bench press etc are seen as compound exercises, as they don't just target one specific muscle. They work most of your body :smile:
  • erickirb
    Options

movements that utilize multiple muscle groups at the same time such as: Deadlifts, squats, lunges, bench press, military press, barbell rows etc.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

That is false, if you lowered your intake by the amount you burn in cardio you would lose the same amount of weigh as you do with cardio

If I had reduced my calorie intake by what I burned in cardio then I would have to stop eating.

Cardio is extremely important and healthy for you and I'm sorry but when I add running to my routine I lean out a lot faster than if I did nothing.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading the book called "Which Comes First: Cardio or Weights?" This book was published last year, and is an easy read. It is based on a number of various studies (most from universities) and analysis of world-class athletes. It disspells a lot of exercise myths, but also gives good advice on what is best based on desired goals.

In the end, both are important (cardio to help keep your cardiovascular system in shape) and weights (to build strength in muscle and bones). Additionally, many people forget there are actually 4 facets to physical fitness: cardio, strength (resistance), flexibility (stretching), and balance. Many of these can be combined into various exercises.

Ultimately, it depends on what your goals are as to which you should focus on more. However, in my humble opinion, it is critically important to your overall health to focus on cardio, weights, flexibility, balance, AND nutrition.

Good luck!

greg

Well said!! I might have to check that book out.
  • erickirb
    Options

If I had reduced my calorie intake by what I burned in cardio then I would have to stop eating.

Cardio is extremely important and healthy for you and I'm sorry but when I add running to my routine I lean out a lot faster than if I did nothing.

Then your net cals are far too low for the amount of cardio you are doing, as cardio should be a 0 sum game. Burn 400 cals eat 400 more, so you are where you would have been with no cardio (net calories) assuming you are in a caloric deficit to begin with, otherwise you would just eat a portion of them to get the desired deficit.
  • sadira86
    sadira86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much! this is a lot of info i didn't know about.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't a necessity for weight loss. It's a tool for creating a bigger calorie deficit and there's health benefits to doing it, but to claim that it's a must for weight loss is just plain silly.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't a necessity for weight loss. It's a tool for creating a bigger calorie deficit and there's health benefits to doing it, but to claim that it's a must for weight loss is just plain silly.

^^^ agreed