Not hungry, just wanting to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    recently i had to go 6 days without eating, i wasnt even allowed to drink water. (i was under a dr care the whole time and do not suggest anyone does this on their own) during those days i thought a lot about food, but i also started to pay attention to my body. i notcied the times i was actually hungry and times when i just wanted something to do and my old fall back had been food. i found ways to distract myself and the will power to not sneek out of my room to the vending machine when my nurses werent looking.

its hard to stop and think... hope you find the power to control your hunger
  • luckygirl5918
    luckygirl5918 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love reading everyone's answers - its so true - important to ask why you're eating - keep your hands busy go for a walk...I'm really loving the ideas and how supportive everyone is.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I read a book years ago with the title "It's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you" and that title has really stuck with me. Makes me think about WHY I'm eating when I just can't seem to stop and nothing satisfies me.

The other thing I do is bargain with myself - tell myself to wait just 10 minutes, and if I still want it, then I can eat it. A lot of the time, in that 10 minutes, I get distracted and involved with something else and don't want it anymore.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think this, at least for me, was done out of habit. I realize it helps to alleviate bordem or stress. I chew gum, I occupy my time in other ways, I drink tea, etc. I also snack a lot, especially at night. I have been making healthier choices, though and staying within my daily allotted calories.

Make sure you are eating enough calories, acording to your MFP recommendations, and properly hydrate. The experts recommend 1/2 your body weight, in ounces, of water a day. (so if you weigh 150 pounds, drink 75 oz of water).

Look at your sleeping patterns. Poor sleep habits and/or quality can dramatically impact weight loss efforts.

One more suggestion, if you are under a lot of stress you may feel more hungry thank usual. Your body releases cortisol, a stress hormone, which can increase appetite. If you are under a lot of stress try to reduce it by meditation, yoga, Pilates, etc.

Also, just keep in mind that perhaps you have lost enough weight. There is a theory called the "set point" theory... I often wonder if this theory isn't true!
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    I have the same issue!. I don't always cave into my cravings (especially because I log everything on here so seeing the red makes me anxious) but I do tink about food A LOT even when I know I'm not hungry.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You need to see it as a habit that you need to break, much like giving up smoking. These are just a couple of things I had to do when I stopped smoking in 2007 but they have helped me on my MFP journey too...

There will no doubt be times that you are used to eating - say if you someone who, when you have a coffee, always have a biscuit or piece of cake with it. You need to make the consious effort of changing the mindset of "I'm not allowed to eat cake with coffee any more", to "I don't eat cake when I have coffee". The first is a very negative thought based on denial, the second is just a fact, plain and simple, neither positive nor negative. To equate that to smoking I changed "I've given up smoking" to "I don't smoke".

The other thing I found very helpful was to take it one day at a time. Tell yourself that you can have whatever you are craving the next day, if you waken the next morning still longing for it tell yourself once again that you can have it tomorrow. That way you're not saying you AREN'T allowed it, just that you choose to delay it for a short while. 24 hours, that's not long to wait for something, is it? You'll find that 24hrs soon roll into a week, then a month, then..... etc.!

Anyway, I hope this helps, it is very difficult to break a habit, I've heard it say that it takes 3 weeks for something to become a habit so all you've got to do it say no for 3 weeks :flowerforyou:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MustangCindy67
    MustangCindy67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This happens to me now and then. I find if I eat something that crunches I feel better....something about that sound....:)
    I will eat pumpkin seeds or almonds or walnuts but very slowly...and Ryvita crackers are nice......or I try to occupy myself with something interesting and forget about food...... good luck.....:)
  • darlingkaya
    Options
    This is not a new thing for me... i just had a crazy craving for late night snacking and i mean eat everything i see!

So what i did...got out 3 large carrots, and chopped em up into little strips so they seem more. THen i got 3 celery sticks and cut them up also into strips, i got out 2 tablespoons of hummus (80calories), half an apple and a teaspoon of natural peanut butter... and a large glass of diet coke.
    I sat there watching TV and ate the intire thing... guess what... cravings gone! ;) why?? cause im soo freaking full from allt that veggie fiber.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have done everything I have read and know about to help with satiety. From eating enough protein and fiber, to getting in 2 tsp of a healthy oil, to eating a few almonds, walnuts, etc., to drinking water, but I still WANT to eat and think about eating all the time. I truly believe I am an addict when it comes to food. I have gained 15 above my goal weight and it keeps rising. It is ridiculously ridiculous! I would actually take a drug to suppress the want to eat if I could find one without caffeine and one that wouldn't harm my body (when I am willing to do this, it's evident that I am desperate). Does anyone have any suggestions that hopefully I don't know about that will help me???

I am in the same boat and forcing myself to think about why I'm eating - RARELY is it because I'm actually hungry!
  • Brittypop
    Brittypop Posts: 67
    Options
    When I feel this way (which is often), I try to step back and think "Am I really hungry?" Usually, the answer is no. I do things like remove myself from the kitchen area to another part of the house, go for a walk, find something to do to take my mind off of food, brush my teeth to signal I'm done eating, or just plain old going to bed. Some days it's harder than others, and I'm still looking for ideas myself. Hope these help!! :)

Great tips!
  • auntiepoo50
    auntiepoo50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I feel like this, it is usually...what is at eating me.....most often is it is triggered by stress!
  • luckygirl5918
    luckygirl5918 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For now...I think this is my favourite thread! So true