keeping bananas

Options
I'm having trouble keeping bananas fresh. I love them, and they have become a good breakfast for me. But I am having trouble keeping them. I can't eat them fast enough, they keep going bad within three or four days. Is there a way to keep them fresh longer?

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can offer is buy some that are ripe and some that are very green so they'll last a couple of extra days...
  • b1791
    b1791 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always buy only 3 or 4 at a time as I can't eat them fast enough either. I also buy them on the greener side.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I buy some yellow for the start of the week and some green for later on in the week, if they are going off and I havn't had a chance to eat them then I freeze them, there delicious frozen :wink:
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would have this problem to but I do two things differently: I only buy what I will eat in a certain time frame so I don't have to worry about not eating them in time and I look for ones that almost ripe but not quite. Nothing says you can't buy as many bananas as you want. I have bought one banana before. If you have one a day maybe only buy 4 bananas at a time so you finish them before they go bad.
  • Rubyinthesand2012
    Options
    Hi im not sure where in the world you are but i use Stay Fresh Bags

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p1092/20-Stayfresh-Longer-Bags?src=gpkit&gclid=CKGh2669y68CFeMLtAodEWKAYw

my friend bought these ones ^^^^ but i bought mine from amazon for half the price. try googling them.

If you put the bananas in them in the fruit bowl they will last about 10-14 days, bagged & in a fridge they will last longer but the skins go brown. although the fruit doesnt go mushy.

I use them for just about every type of fruit and veg i buy now. :flowerforyou:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but my boyfriend suggested getting a banana hammock for them. that way they're hanging in the way they grew. I still need to buy one.

Also, if you have them and they get too ripe I suggest freezing them. I have like 6 in my freezer! They're so delicious, and if you measure out some melted chocolate, could be a great snack.
  • b1791
    b1791 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but my boyfriend suggested getting a banana hammock for them. that way they're hanging in the way they grew. I still need to buy one.

Also, if you have them and they get too ripe I suggest freezing them. I have like 6 in my freezer! They're so delicious, and if you measure out some melted chocolate, could be a great snack.

I watched a stand up comedian on the weekend who talked about all the frozen bananas in his freezer that his wife swears is going to use to make banana bread. I thought my husband was going to pee his pants laughing...needless to say my freezer is full of a lot of bananas LOL.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've read that if you separate the bunch into individual bananas, they ripen more slowly. No idea if that's accurate, but I separated the ones I bought yesterday as soon as I got home.
    I'll report back.
  • btm03
    btm03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When they start getting brown, I either make banana bread or I cut them in pieces and throw them in a baggie in the freezer to make smoothies out of them. Hope that helps!
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the fridge if I can't eat them fast enough The peel turns brown, but the inside lasts longer than it would at room temperature. Just had one today and it was great. I try to buy smaller bunches to avoid this in general.
  • vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've read that if you separate the bunch into individual bananas, they ripen more slowly. No idea if that's accurate, but I separated the ones I bought yesterday as soon as I got home.
    I'll report back.

I do this all the time...they do last MUCH longer.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You can keep bananas in the fridge. The skins go brown, but the fruit stay's firm. My dad does this, because he only eats half a banana with his cereal ever other morning.

I usually buy green bananas, as we always have a big bowl on the go!
  • mollyquewl
    Options
    I don't know how you store your bananas but make sure you keep them away from other fruit. Apples, peaches, and pears give off ethylene gas, which causes other fruits to ripen faster.