Weighing in clothes?

Options
2»

Replies

• RachelVerthein
    Options
    I weigh myself in the mornings naked before I jump in the shower. But I also do it later in the day with clothes on just to see the difference and it gives me an idea if i'm loosing weight or not.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    fully clothed, the weight is up to five pounds heavier for me.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself on the Wii fit it gives you different options for clothing allowances and 'light clothing' deducts 2 pounds. When at slimming world one obviously had to weigh fully clothed and so I used to just wear the same clothes every week as ultimately it was about tracking weight loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Bring the exact outfit as you are wearing, or close as possible, add shoes to it, just a bundle of clothes.
    Weigh yourself with shoes.
    Add shoes to the bundle of clothes.
    Subtract for your weight.

Now you know how much those clothes weigh, and can do that in the future.

But for consistency, what others have said about time of day is much bigger influence than that type of accuracy.

Does knowing weight X is more accurate than Y by 2.6 lbs matter, when the glass of water you may or may not have had weighs 1 lb, or extra sodium in lunch retained 2 lbs of water?

If you buy a simple scale for home, stand on it several times at store to confirm it is consistent.

If you are weighing at the gym first thing in morning, day after rest day, then that is valid enough, weigh the clothes to subtract.
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Topic's drifting here so I'll add what I think is ideal:

Weigh daily, same time of day, naked...I shoot for just before I shower then go to bed. I also try not to drink anything big right before, and I go to the bathroom just before. I find morning is 1-1.5 lbs lighter and I'd imagine I'm in quite a dehydrated state...the part that bugs me about morning is the old bowel movement...seems lame to weigh what I'm about to put in a toilet, depending on exactly when that occurs. Weighing daily reduces noise and "drama" on a bad weigh-in plus you'll get a better feeling about what your weight is normally ignoring all the hormonal/dietary induced fluctuations.
  • Jaidee1979
    Jaidee1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like to be consistent so I weight myself naked in the morning after I've used the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything.
  • scrambuglady
    scrambuglady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound crazy but I weigh my clothes and wear them when I weigh in and subtract that amount.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Truthfully for me. I don't count or discount clothing. I'm more caring about a difference in weight, so just try to wear consistant types of workout clothes so that instead of taring at 0 you are at 2 or 5 - but that won't change the number of pounds lost... Plus once finally down at the goal weight, generally that 2 or 5 isn't quite so important anymore.

If you have a digital scale, you can weigh yourself multiple times and the weight will probably change. They also say that time of day, hormones, stress, salt, water, etc - will also cause a more dramatic increase/decrease of weight over or within a single day, than any amount we may have actually lost for that day. So basically weight fluctuates anyway - I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go with what you feel is comfortable.

I do measure and prefer inches over a scale though.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Always weight yourself with shoes off. Shoes, depending on type, can add up to 4 lbs. In the military, we generally give 2 lbs due to clothing. So...if someone weighs in at 130, we record it at 128.
  • LaLongueCarabine01
    Options
    When I was in the Marine Corps back in the 90's, we subtracted eight pounds when weighing in our camoflauge uniform with combat boots on.
    I would imagine that clothes themselves weigh only a pound or two, and the determining factor is how much your shoes weigh. They can add as much as five pounds on their own before factoring in clothes as well.
    It's very unrealistic to suggest that you wear the exact same thing when weighing yourself at some location away from home, as people will notice that you always wear the same thing, and begin to think you're some kind of weirdo.
    But, you likely wear the same type of clothing to that gym. So simply take your shoes off for the brief moment that you're weighing yourself, and then subtract about a pound off your measurment for just your clothing.

Best of luck to you!
  • new_beginning_2
    new_beginning_2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought digital scales a few months after getting an analogue one ....because I couldn't see the weight on the analogue one.
    Now I weigh myself first thing (naked) in the morning (after a pee).

I've lost 43lbs in a year.....going from 171lbs to 128lb.

Good luck everyone with your weight goals.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the buff at home. Doesn't get more accurate than that. If you're going to weight in clothes, try to make it the same outfit if you can.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Shooot, I weigh nakie. In fact, I weigh when I first get up in my sports bra and panties and then again nakie before the shower and I am usually 1 lb lighter just from that. I never go by the doctor scale. I get very depressed by that. It is almost always 4lb difference.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    because this is all subjective my rule has always been

weight consistantly. if you weight with clothes on, always weight with clothes on. if you weight with clothes off, always weight with clothes off. its convenient for me to weigh in the morning after shower and evacuation so thats when I do it. So the key is, just be consistant.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as you are consistent.

of you weigh one day in the morning before clothes, then next week you weigh in the evening with clothes and shoes, well, that'd be problematic.
    but if you do the same thing each time, that's all that matters. you will still track losses and gains. and scale numbers are not as important as tape measure to your waist, hips, thighs, etc.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weigh in at work so I don't do it naked and have usually had a bit of water or coffee beforehand if not a snack as well.

I take my shoes off and wear a lightweight outfit that day....and then I tell myself all my clothes and the water I drank must have added 10-15lbs to my weight so I am doing pretty good really!! :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I read somewhere else something about fully clothed you need to subtract up to 5 pounds and I was like...theres no way thats possible lol

It's going to depend on the clothes...

I don't understand weighing in wearing clothes...underwear at the most...

I weight in wearing nothing but what God gave me...because weight wise, that's all I care about. If you're weighing in clothes make sure it's the same clothes every time. Also, same time and same general conditions.

With all of these completely random weigh ins I've read here, it's not wonder people "don't see the scale budging"...you're weight food and fluid intake...articles of clothing...different times of day...you're weighing **** that has nothing to do with your fat.