what exercise do you do?

Options
I walk and I barely burn 100 calories. I've seen people put that they burn 500 calories in a workout what are you doing to burn that many. I know I need to up my workout but I don't know what to do, walking is easy and I know I can usually get in about 30 minutes of it a day.

Replies

• mrshamm
    mrshamm Posts: 62
    Options
    I walk and I barely burn 100 calories. I've seen people put that they burn 500 calories in a workout what are you doing to burn that many. I know I need to up my workout but I don't know what to do, walking is easy and I know I can usually get in about 30 minutes of it a day.
  • DaniUSA
    DaniUSA Posts: 74
    Options
    I do running, cycling, volleyball, soccer, softball, swimming.

either different times

running: usually 40-60mins (2 to 3 times a week)
    cycling: usually 1h (here) (1-2 times a week)
    volleyball: 4h (1 time a week)
    soccer:2h (1 time a week)
    Softball 1:30h (1 time a week)
    swimming: not at the moment, dont have possibility here

Back in germany I have to ride at least 1 h per day the bike to get to work and sport (dont have a car)
    volleyball at least 5 days a week in summer..2-6h

soccer not more than once a week, never softball, swimming just in waterparks 2-3times a week if its hot.

I am a student. So in summer normally we have a huge 3 month break and I have enough time.
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Options
    Spinning class and the Arc trainer (similar to an eliptical) burn lots!!! That's what I do!
  • celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I usually try to run 3 miles, 2 or 3 times a week then do a spin class at the gym twice a week. The running usually burns around 350 calories and the spin, about 500. I know some people have said they don't like to run or jog because of pain in their knees but if you can do it, it's definitely worth the extra calories!
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    I play DDR, usually burns about 150 calories a 1/2 hour.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, I just did my final prep run for my 5K on saturday, averaged 84% Heart Rate, after 25 minutes (21 plus minutes actually running, 4 minute cooldown) I came up with 385 calories. If you added 5 more minutes it would have been well over 400.
  • shannonb1177
    Options
    What you can do to definitely increase the amount of fat that you are burning is to do a run/walk cycle on the treadmill for about a half hour. Start off walking at a brisk pace, like 4.0, for a minute, then sprint for 2 minutes on like a 7.7. If you can go faster do that, but by doing interval training, it works great! Also, if you wa;l fast on a high incline, it burns a ton of calories!! Also, try boxing, it is crucial!!!!
  • burnett50
    burnett50 Posts: 46
    Options
    Swimming! I did an hours breast stroke today and earned over 600 cals which I am planning to spend on a choc bar treat tonight....:laugh: Not all of it of course but excercising definatly helps me to get the odd treat in here and there... Good luck:drinker:
  • AndreaMMil
    AndreaMMil Posts: 165
    Options
    I walk 4 mph for close to 2 hours. The heart rate monitor calculates over 800 calories burned for that. I've just started running... first time in my life! We'll see how that goes! When the weather is bad I jump rope or lift weights.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    On Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, I like to go to the Gym's pool and do 3 hrs of water aerobics. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays I work on the Gym's equipment to do low level strength training. I also have a elliptical trainer at home I use for when I can't get out or just need that extra workout when I have time.

Weekends are mostly free but try to get something in just not scheduled.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    30 min + 5 min cool down on the elliptical 6 days per week (I leave my hands stationary)- 320 cals

Machine/weights 20-30min 3 times per week - I work my upper body - not sure how many calories I'm burning on these... I don't work up a sweat, just feel the muscle burn :smile:

Forgot - Yoga 1 day per week
  • brittanymt19
    brittanymt19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try tennis or a hip hop dance class alway work
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i alternate between
    45 min of stationary bike = 700 cal
    1h of swimming, crawl + 1h of aquaerobics = 800 cal
    1500 skip rope jumps + tae bo dvd = 600 cal

my favorite is definitly the swimming, i do it twice a week and i stay 2 h in the pool. although the aquaerobis is a lot of fun, its not really as challenging as real aerobics.

have fun !
    may
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    One hour of some type of exercise video M-F and a mile walk. Weekends are mostly yard work and walking.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Spinning burns a ton of calories
    I burn about 750 calories in 30 minutes on my own and over 900 in a 45 minute class with instructor
  • kitty608
    kitty608 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try Kickboxing. It burns @ 700 calories per session. You will feel the burn!