Protein Powder/Shakes...what type of powder do YOU use???

Options

Replies

• Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • laragne
    laragne Posts: 1
    Options
    Body by Vi...Delicious, nutritious and very affordable. Can even be Free!!! I started drinking them 2 years ago. the BEST!
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My favorite is from Spirutein, they have a ton of flavors and taste the best, in my opinion. I've also tried Jay Robb whey protein, which is ok but expensive, and Jillian Michaels which is cheap but the taste is atrocious and clumps like a mofo. Spirutein is around $15-20 for about a 1.5 lb container and mixes easily. I get the vanilla or banana and make my own concoctions, but the cookies and cream flavor is to die for, tastes like an oreo!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I use BODY FORTRESS.... 26g protein per scoop, only 2g of fat, 2g of sugar, and only 140 calories. Its the best tasting one I can find in my budget, and I can buy it at Meijer or Walmart. :)
  • EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    I do Bluebonnet Whey Protein. I deal with food allergies as well so I buy the non-soy ones. They have 26g of protein, 116cal, 55g of sodium, and no sugar. I mix mine with 1% milk. I usually do 1-2 daily.
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas.

is protein powder available in uk supermarkets? (tesco, sainsbury, asda etc.) in which aisle?
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Isofuel from muscleandstrength.com, 104 calories and 24g protein per scoop. it mixes really well with water, but it tends to make yogurt gooey when i add them together. so it's better for just adding to water than adding to shakes and the like.
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    I drink a Visalus shake (tastes pretty good) before my workout then a higher protein shake after that. It varies, either EAS (tastes like CRAP), Optimum Nutrition (tastes alright) or Body Fortress (tastes alright).

I don't care about the tastes really. I mix them all with water so they all could be better but those 80-130 calories for Soy or Milk is kind of unnecessary for me.
  • lsimants
    lsimants Posts: 1
    Options
    Visalus shakes are the best, they taste great :)
  • kenscarlson
    kenscarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Whatever the cheapest whey isolate is at the time. Look at the ones with lots of "thumbs ups". Get expensive buying at normal prices!

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?forumchoice[]=9&q=whey&showposts=0&archive=0&firstonly=1
  • Mandysc
    Mandysc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work at Walgreens and got one of those bottle there just an fyi, and I mix my protein shakes with almond milk which makes it taste really good.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Costco's whey protein :) (Chocolate flavor, tastes really good)

I might have to look for this next time I'm there...Costco seems to have a good quality private label (judging by the things I've bought).

Question is, though, will I need a truck and trailer to get the gargantuan tub back to my house??? :laugh:
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Nectar™ - Whey Protein Isolate Crystal Sky (taste like Crystal Light) is my favorite however most Nectar Products are great tasting high Protein low Carbohydrates. Also I use Gaspari Nutrition - Myofusion Probiotic Series - Vanilla, (tastes like a vanilla milk shake). Go to your local Vitamin Shoppe and they can give you a taste of most popular protein shakes. (this way you can make your decision by YOUR taste) Hope this helped.
    Good luck

I might just have to stop into Vitamin Shoppe after my next workout...:bigsmile:

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know they did that!
  • kldakat
    kldakat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agreed- Costco carries Whey Isolate by Cytosport (which is the maker of the popular Muscle Mik Drinks). The protein is the best mixing/smoothest one I have ever come across and tastes great. It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate and is about 35 bucks for 6 pounds of protein (thats hard to beat!).
  • Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options
    I have Dymatize Iso-100 cookies and cream is to die for. Also have vanilla and chocolate. At the moment I've also got the Dymatize Elite whey protien in butter cream toffee and pina colada. I get them in the smallest containers, as I like to have a little bit of a choice to have. All depends on my mood.
  • jfield6
    jfield6 Posts: 56
    Options
    ETA: Do NOT buy the jillian michaels protein powder it is terrible tasting! It has a very mild chocolate flavor, very bland! It also thickens up really bad and if you mix it with certain things (coconut milk is one of them) it turns into this weird pudding that you have to basically eat with a spoon it's so thick. Blech!

I wish I saw this before I tried it! LOL!
  • laura9387
    Options
    I love Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb Vanilla..1 scoop is 105 calories, .5 g fat, 0 carbs and 25 g of protein.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Tried the EAS protein powder in my hot cereal (malt o meal) this morning, and it was not bad! It definitely kept me feeling full all morning.
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The only one i've tried so far, and don't have any complaints about yet is Pure Whey 100% protein powder. I got it at walmart, and bought the frosty chocolate flavor. I mix it with almond milk, spinach, banana and peanut butter for my breakfast in the morning. When you add it all up, it's pretty high in calories, but it keeps me full for a long time, and it's an entire meal replacement basically, so i kind of count it as breakfast and 1st snack and i end up having a smaller lunch this way too. I'm going to try and make protein balls, and pancakes this weekend and see how it goes.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    bump for ideas.

is protein powder available in uk supermarkets? (tesco, sainsbury, asda etc.) in which aisle?

Yes, usually the medicine aisle where the vitamins etc are. The variety is very limited though. I would try Holland & Barrett or somewhere like that instead?