Setting smaller goals

Options
I have 45 lbs to loose...that seems like alot to me. It has been a little discouraging to think of how long it's gonna take me to loose it. SOOOOO I decided that I will just worry about getting under that "overweight" mark first. I am only about 10 lbs away from that, so it seems more do-able. I would like to get back to my pre-baby weight, but that's gonna take a little while. I get discouraged and distracted easily, I think that the smaller goals will help me to stay on track. Does any one else do this?

Replies

• Bre&CJ'sMom
    Options
    I have 45 lbs to loose...that seems like alot to me. It has been a little discouraging to think of how long it's gonna take me to loose it. SOOOOO I decided that I will just worry about getting under that "overweight" mark first. I am only about 10 lbs away from that, so it seems more do-able. I would like to get back to my pre-baby weight, but that's gonna take a little while. I get discouraged and distracted easily, I think that the smaller goals will help me to stay on track. Does any one else do this?
  • MrsTot7
    MrsTot7 Posts: 9
    Options
    :smile: Yeah, it has been the same for me. I started with a smaller goal and as the weight comes off, it makes it easier to change your goal by 5 or 10 pounds. As I got down into the "healthy" weight area I felt more accomplished and it made it feel really good to move my goal down closer to the middle of the "healthy" area. Good luck with your weight loss, you can do it. :bigsmile:
  • dpiggies24
    Options
    I did think about that before, now I just think on eating better. I wasn't doing it right before so what have I got to lose......LOL Weight of course!
    My thought is, if we think about how long it's going to take, then we do get frustrated.
    I just feel like, two weeks ago, I was not eating right and I wasn't walking, but now that I'am, if I lose the weight, it's a bonus!
    Even though in the back of my mind, I want to do this not only to feel great, but to lose the weight.
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    Actually Weight Watchers uses that technique pretty effectively, if you ask me. (Lots I don't agree with about the WW program, but that's another discussion).

They reward the first 5 lbs. lost, and every 5 lbs. after that up to your 10% goal (if I remember correctly). And then when you meet your goal weight it's obviously a really big deal, but you have a drawer full of little red bookmarks and tokens to show for the journey. Kinda cool.

I have another 20 to go (down 10 so far) and I've learned NOT to weigh myself every day to keep from obsessing over the small (and inevitable) fluctuations and to manage my expecttations. I do think for most of us it helps not to focus on the long-term goal, but enjoy the process and the small successes as much as possible.
  • Bre&CJ'sMom
    Options
    I'm concerned mostly about the weight....It's not a vanity thing, I'm just tired of being ashamed of the way I look. I have gotten so ashamed of myself that I hide myself from my husband now. :embarassed: It's not like he makes any comments or makes me feel bad- He's been great about it all. But I just don't want him to see me like this. So the weight has to come off, no matter what. And I think the little goals will give me more reason to keep going.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Very simple things like changing from mayonnaise to muster can make a difference. Start out with little changes first then as time goes by do the bigger ones. Don't try to do everything at one time, it just makes it too hard to maintain.