Pork Rinds recipes?

clare_smiles
clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
Does anyone have any ideas and or recipes to use Pork Rinds? I just bought my first bag of them, though they seem popular in NC I've never tried them. They are zero carb- and I'm on a low carb diet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    We use them to make faux chili pies (instead of fritos or fries) I like to warm mine just a tad and put cinnamon and splenda on them.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I eat them plain (in place of chips!), including using them to hold dips. I've heard of people using pork rinds as "breading", in place of flour for things like fried chicken (crush them into a powder first). But never tried it, myself.
  • RachelsReboot
    I use them in my meatloaf too. I always have them around here but rarely eat them just out of the bag.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    What are they again? Deep fried skin? Or is it deep fried intestinal lining?
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    deepn fried skin. collagen, no protein value.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    I've used it as a filler in my meatloaf, mixed with a bunch of spices. I've also used it to bread my chicken, but make sure the pan is hot, otherwise the rinds will get soggy. For a dessert thing, spray with butter spray and put some cinnamon and truvia on it... tastes delicious, and not bad for low carb/diabetics.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    What are they again?
    Damn tasty.

We let them simmer in a jalapeno-based home-made salsa, then put them in burritos with smashed pinto beans.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    I put Texas Pete hot sauce on mine and eat them...
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Oh, chicharon my little friend. They are pretty damn good with some hot sauce and lime.
  • RachelsReboot
    I thought collagen was the most abundant protein found in animals making up something like 20-30% of our entire protein content?

Yeah, thought my biology class was right.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21582/
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    My husband told me he read about a recipe using them as "breading" in a fried chicken recipe. Sounds like a good idea to me. I just eat them plain or as chips with salsa/ guacamole.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    i thought people just ate them
    they're very high in protein
    however watch out for the sodium
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member

this is an odd claim, the bag I have right now ( clancy) , for 3 servings, ( 1.5 oz total) I get 24 grams of protein, 15 grams of fat and just 240 calories. ( and 0 carbs..)

oh and to answer the original poster, I just eat them from the bag straight, or use them as a good sturdy high(er) protein replacment for corn chips.
  • I eat them plain (in place of chips!), including using them to hold dips. I've heard of people using pork rinds as "breading", in place of flour for things like fried chicken (crush them into a powder first). But never tried it, myself.

That sounds so yummy. I may have to try that.
  • Your hunch is right - pork rinds are PERFECT for healthy snacking or even as ingredients in main dishes. Eat them as they are, in a dip like salsa or guacamole, or use them to bread fish, chicken wings & pizza!
    Although family & friends might think the opposite, pork rinds really aren't fattening as you obviously already know! In fact, they have zero carbs, are low on the glycemic index (diabetes), are gluten-free and best of all, pack more protein than a handful of peanuts. Amazing, right?

Keep crunching & enjoy :)
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    I crush them up to make low carb crab cakes. I also like to eat them as chips as I eat low carb also. they are great with guacamole and/or salsa
  • digitaltara
    digitaltara Posts: 12 Member
    Would you consider these an acquired taste? Do some brands taste better than others?

I'd never had them before, but since I'm eating reduced carbs (<100/day) and I have seen so many peole rave about them, I thought I'd give them a try. They're a little weird to me, and I'm not sure I could eat a lot of them. Maybe they'd be better with stuff on them? The BBQ flavored ones were a little better, but neither version smelled all that great.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Wow so glad you posted this OP!!! Very good idea, I hadnt thought of some of these ideas.. Cant wait to try them!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Hey Smiles and fellow pork rind lovers! I work for Rudolph Foods, the world's largest manufacturer of pork rinds ... and we just HAD to pipe up and say kudos on your smart snack choices!

Your hunch is right - pork rinds are PERFECT for healthy snacking or even as ingredients in main dishes. Eat them as they are, in a dip like salsa or guacamole, or use them to bread fish, chicken wings & pizza! Here's our trust list of family recipes: http://www.rudolphfoods.com/wp/category/recipes.

Although family & friends might think the opposite, pork rinds really aren't fattening as you obviously already know! In fact, they have zero carbs, are low on the glycemic index (diabetes), are gluten-free and best of all, pack more protein than a handful of peanuts. Amazing, right?

If you have more questions, you can learn more at www.RudolphFoods.com! Keep crunching & enjoy :)

Why am I so completely freaked out by this post? Are pork rinds stalking MFP???
  • sdonahue8
    sdonahue8 Posts: 1 Member
    If you're keeping things low carb, pork rinds are actually really good dipped in cottage cheese and/or salsa. (My favorite jarred salsa is Costco's Kirkland brand Organic Salsa.) You can also make "nachos" out of them by melting shredded, lowfat cheese over them then topping with cooked and seasoned lean ground beef or shredded chicken, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, etc.

I am confused about the protein value in pork rinds...While Clancy's brand (for example) claim to have 9 grams of protein per 1/2 oz. serving, there is also disclaimer printed on the label which states that the product is not a significant source of protein. Can our bodies use the protein in pork rinds or not? Also, while pork rinds may seem like a perfect low-carb snack, be aware of how much sodium they contain - especially the bbq or spicy flavored varieties.