What's Your Body Shape?

Options

Replies

• nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just took a quiz online that determined that I am a rectangle. I've never heard of that. I never really knew what I was, but I knew I was neither an apple nor a pear. Just somewhere in between I guess.

Bust: large (D cup)
    Waist: not big, but not small either
    Hips: not big, but not small either
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Many guides on how to dress for your shape take the hourglass shape as the implicit ideal. ( Whether it's the real ideal any more I don't know.) An hourglass is like two triangles of equal sizes whose apexes meet at the center, the waist.

For example, if you're a pear, your shape is treated like half the hourglass, and suggestions are made to create the illusion of the upper triangle. Hence the suggestions to draw attention to the upper half with lighter colors and to wear shoulder-broadening tops, etc. Of course, it's more complex than that because of individual variations.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. I did an online calculator a while back that had me put in my measurements and it told me I was a pear, which is exactly what I thought I was lol.
    Thought this was interesting.

"Most common female body shapes
    The following are the four most common female body shapes:

Apple (triangle downward)
    Apple-shaped women have broader shoulders and bust, and narrower hips.

Banana, or straight (rectangular)
    Banana-shaped women's waist measurement is less than 9 inches smaller than the hip or bust measurement.

Pear, Spoon, or Bell (triangle upward)
    Pear-shaped women's hip measurements are greater than their bust measurements.

Hourglass Shape (triangles opposing, facing in)
    Here, the hip and bust are almost of equal size, with a narrow waist.

A study of more than 6,000 women conducted at North Carolina State University in 2005 revealed that 46% of women were banana-shaped; just over 20% were pear-shaped; just under 14% were apple-shaped; and only 8% were hourglass-shaped. The hourglass is normally accepted as the "ideal" female shape in Western countries."

http://www.calculator.net/body-type-calculator.html?bustsize=39&bustsizeunit=inch&waistsize=30&waistsizeunit=inch&hipsize=43.5&hipsizeunit=inch&x=60&y=15

You can use your bust, waist, and hip measurements and it will tell you what you are.

There was a time when the pear was the most common shape for American women. Maybe the obesity epidemic has created an increase in the banana shape.

To be an hourglass, not only are your bust and hips about equal in size, your waist is at least 10 inches less than either your bust or hips.
    Idk? I am overweight but my waist is still defined and my hips are larger, I think that's what makes me a pear. It's more about how each of your measurements compare to each other. I was a pear shape at a healthy weight too, and I have banana friends who are at healthy weights now.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I am a pear, a wop-sided mango, and a broken hour glass!

I am a work in progress! :grumble:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I just took a quiz online that determined that I am a rectangle. I've never heard of that.

That's a shape I've seen used in the past. I've also seen the seen the use of "X" and "H" shapes, which is confusing to me. I'm an "A."
    Although I think that the term "pear shape" is kind of insulting, I use it because it does evoke the three-dimensionality of shapes in a way "Triangle" or "A" shape does not do.
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    I'm hour glass... allbeit a large hour glass...

Same here. :drinker:
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an apple. Narrow shoulders, boobs, and then belly! Narrow hips and thighs....I think I'm an hourglass trying to get out though.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. No ifs, ands, or buts. Well okay there is a Butt!
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I would like to say hourglass.... but def. a pear! I need to work on that lol
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Pear
  • jomiley23
    jomiley23 Posts: 76
    Options
    Bust - 48
    High waist - 45
    Belt line - 42
    Pooch - 46
    Hips - 44

I'd be an hourglass if it weren't for that spare tire high waist measurement.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass. Yay curves! :D

I am currently attempting to do the following for exercise:

cardio (various forms) for at least 3 hours a week
    strength/core training - variety, to include bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, bench press, overhead press, butterfly press, wall sits, squats, kick outs, lateral jumps.
  • bdwduck21
    Options
    i feel like a pear
  • Kaheaki
    Kaheaki Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm not sure what my shape is...i am big in the chest area...an embarrassing 30" in the waist and 34" in the hips if i remember correctly. i'm a lumpy breadstick i suppose.

That actually made me laugh out loud!!! A lumpy breadstick?? You are too silly :)
  • deanna_rosenbaum
    Options
    I'm a 2-3 hourglass! LOL!

most recent yo-yo gain added a bit more to the belly but I'm still an hourglass.

Deanna
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm an hourglass, even if heavier on the bottom. My shoulders and hips are about even in breadth. I have a mid-size bust and mid-size tummy... and once I work off more of the tummy (and some of the butt!) I'll look like I ought. I'm 5'7" and current weight is 153.4. Aiming for that "perfect" 126.

I need to focus on cardio to shed the extra fat, with a secondary focus on toning what should be a great midsection and firming the forever-noticeable posterior, then (long-term goal) toning the arms and shoulders for that ubersexy look. :) Could use some exercise suggestions myself.
  • Angelhurt
    Angelhurt Posts: 24
    Options
    i always thought i was an apple.........apparently im 'busty' haha...but if i lose any of my chest i will become an hourglass...so that was a pleasant suprise :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    My body type is giant boulder. Pretty round all around.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Whats the one with small boobs and forever pregnant looking belly?
  • reshi11
    reshi11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Currently an apple (most my weight in my midsection) but when I am at a healthy weight, an hourglass.