How did you kick start your weight loss? How did you begin?

Options

Replies

• NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    A great way to jump start your diet/weight loss is to do a 7 day dietary detox & cleanse. You can loose up to 5 pounds of wastes trapped in the colon right off the bat.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I did wii fit, 'payed attention' to what i ate. I was clueless, starved myself and ended up sick. Lost 45 pounds and not sure how i didn't gain it back. Then i bought a food scale, and started running, biking, hikng, rock climbing. I do some medicine ball exercises. My next goal is to start lifting, just waiting to be cleared by my doctor. Lost an additional 31.5ish pounds since jan 31.
  • kelleyke
    kelleyke Posts: 20
    Options
    I have a question I noticed a lot of people cut out soda. Does it really help that much? I'm starting MFP and staying under my calories
    about -800 almost a day.(I walk alot being a security guard) and I also walk for 50 minutes at the local park.

So does it really matter? I just can't give up both(portion control) and (soda) so I just limit my soda intake.

Giving up soda was huge for me.
    I was drinking around 4 cans a day, everyday (sound familiar to anyone?). Since I gave it up back in November that is approximately 100,000 calories! ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND! that I haven't consumed. Over 50 POUNDS of sugar I haven't put into my body. Just to give you an idea how much I've saved on calories, That is enough calories to sustain my BMR for almost 2 months in 6 months of not drinking soda.

On the one hand yes, limiting calories is better but on the other hand soda isn't really going to fill you up like food and it lacks nutritional value so you are way more prone to overeating.
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Back in July of 2011, I started to feel really big. I had no idea how much I weighed at that moment, but I felt terrible and out of shape. I remember that over a few days I noticed that I was having a hard time getting off the couch (literally -- physically). I felt like a pregnant women in her 39th week. :)

So I bought a scale and saw a number that absolutely frightened me (373). The heaviest I had ever been. I started eating a little better and walking more. I ended up losing about 23 pounds by the end of November. But, I lost a bit of my focus and drive around the holidays. I ended up gaining about 11 pounds back (361) when I finally got the guts to weight myself again in February.

I decided I had to make a change for good. Not just "lose some weight." I needed a whole new life. I told everyone I cared about my plans so I could be kept accountable. I ordered Power 90 from Amazon and made a commitment to do that for at least 90 days (I'm almost at day 60). I joined MFP (a friend's recommendation) and I started making better food choices. I haven't completely changed my diet. I still eat some foods that aren't great choices -- but I keep tabs on my calories. I started walking on top of the Power 90. I have MFP post my weight check-ins to my Facebook to get the encouragement and (hopefully) accountability from my friends and family. I told my wife she has to push me and make sure I don't quit or get lazy or go back to old ways.
  • charie79
    charie79 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's so nice to see everyone's success
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    How did you kick start your weight loss? How did you begin?

The story brings tears to my eyes but I will make it short and sweet

I was 24 years old and getting ready to go back to school for my B.S. in Criminal Justice...It was awhile since I went to the doctor and was feeling light headed, short of breathe and had problems sleeping

I went to the doctors got on the scale and well it read 268.8 pounds and my doctor said you becoming a cop will be impossible and the next time I see you will be for medicine for high blood pressure, diabetes and etc

I went home and cried and said I would not let this stop me or get me down..I started exercising,eating right and now about 14months later

I started at 268.8
    Now I am about 204.9

and about 15 pounds away from my goal...that's my story:)
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit, paying *some* attention to what I shoved in my face-hole, and bodyweight exercise.

Looking back, it was a terrible way to start. I wish I'd known then what I know now.

Start lifting weights. Like, right now. Lift heavy, eat lots of protein, and follow these macros guidelines. http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Thanks for the info!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I started by watching what I eat. Slowly working in working out.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    These stories are just too fabulous and inspirational--that y'all so MUCH for sharing:heart:
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    To start my weight loss, I stuck to these principles:

5 fruits and veggies a day
    Some form of exercise, even walking, for at least 20 min a day.
    At least 8 glasses of water a day
    If i'm hungry between meals, I EAT. But only high protein, low sugar things (string cheese, nuts, edamame, etc). If i have a sweet tooth I drink unsweetened flavored tea or chew sugar free gum.
    Stick to your cal goal for the WEEK, not necessarily the day.

That's it! 6 lbs so far! I have to say that following these principles has basically cut out all fast food, all soda, most white/refined sugars/starches (i rarely eat any bread, will sometimes snack on one cookie). I also DON'T beat myself up if I slip up. I have one day a week where I usually eat more than I should. I jsut make up for it in exercise sometime during the week. I'm still leveling out what works for me. But like I said, 6lbs so far in 3 and a half weeks! :)
  • emma83841
    emma83841 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Doing a diet helps a ton more if you plan what exactly you are going to eat for the day. What time you are going to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner helps if you plan exactly what you are going to eat, when you are going to eat it. It's helped me so far! Good luck!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I didnt' eat for a day, just water, sun up to sun down. Is that a popular thing around here? No, but that day reminded me of all the days before when i ate anything and everything all day long.

And still now, if things start heading in that direction again, i do it again. Then ease back into to doing it the right way........

Is it for everyone? No, but it works for me. This is primarily a mental thing also, its not a weight loss tool for me as much as its a get your ducks in a row tool.............
  • DianneB75
    DianneB75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read the book "Wheat Belly." I lost 5 pounds the first 2 weeks of giving up wheat and I haven't looked back. It was mostly water weight at first, but it was the kick-start I needed. I discovered that I'm wheat intolerant and sensitive to carbs, so I've been working on finding the right carb balance for me. So far I've lost 14 pounds, but I've hit a plateau. That's when I joined MFP and started tracking everything. I love to cook and bake, so giving up baking sweets was tough, but it has made the biggest difference. I've replaced much of the carbs I used to eat with protein and veggies.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I went in blind, I just knew I was done being a cow. I cut my calories and practiced portion control.
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    I did a lot of research and finally made up my mind. I've tried dieting before but this time something clicked in my brain and I just comitted to myself and my health. Im not on a diet, Im changing my lifestyle. After that, I started reading labels religiously, planned out my meals and stuck to my plan. I also started to exercise just 10 minutes a day, I did that for a couple weeks and then found Hip Hop Abs. Ive been doing that, and now started on Insanity as well. Ive lost more inches than pounds but I am starting to feel a lot better, and the better I feel the easier it is to stick with it!!!! Also Ive learned the most important thing to watch is sodium, and your water intake. :)
  • FrancesOReilly
    FrancesOReilly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wasn't easy. It was like starting an old lawn mower. I would finally get it started, it would idle, and then die......I figured it was time for a new lawn mower (needed to set smaller goals, get serious, and build my self confidence up again without worrying what other people think). That lawn mower has been running beautifully. It occasionally gets clogged from time to time, but a good cleaning gets it back on track. :wink:
    Love how you've put it.. Spot on... :)
  • camboramb0
    Options
    I started my weight loss after seeing how much weight I have gotten. 170llbs is not a lot for most people but it is for a 5'4 - 5'5' Asian male. I was committed to a healthier life style and I had to admit to myself that I was overweight.

I first started off by sticking to water, tea, and coffee. I cut out all the soda and anything with corn fructose in it. This went on for a good 1-3 months.

3 months later - I then started buying fresh cut deli slices and whole grain bread for my lunches. I avoided going out to eat for lunch during work and it saved me a WHOLE lot of money. I slowly adjusted my life style to include healthier food while excising daily. Stuck with a low calorie 6 meal schedule.

4 months later - I started p90x and is now about 149lbs. I just finished my second week and the results have been impressive so far.

I am hoping to get a 6 pack in the near future and try MMA for a bit. It took time to change what I was used to for over 10 years. But I have never felt so energetic and stronger since I was 18 (9 years ago).
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have a question I noticed a lot of people cut out soda. Does it really help that much? I'm starting MFP and staying under my calories
    about -800 almost a day.(I walk alot being a security guard) and I also walk for 50 minutes at the local park.

So does it really matter? I just can't give up both(portion control) and (soda) so I just limit my soda intake.

I'm not sure how much it matters, but I haven't had any soda/pop or even store purchased juices since I started (January 20th 2012) I used to be a soda, store bought juice and life long coffee fiend. Again, I'm not sure how much giving soda and juices and coffee the BOOT has contributed to my weight loss thus far, but I know I LOVE the absolute POWER and CONTROL:glasses: I feel NOT having to have a bottle or cup of one...I love when friends or family are guzzling down pops and juice and coffee, how I now (totally non-judgmentally BTW) sip my water and feel like a super hero/heroine for some reason. I used to HAVE to have that stuff and a lot of it...now I know I can drink some soda/pop/juice/coffee if I want to...but now I really don't want it anymore. I love the POWER of saying No, Thanks...I'll have some water instead. :drinker: I just :heart: that!
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I cut out sweets cold turkey since that was my downfall. I logged everything!! This allowed me to see whether the things I were putting in my mouth were good for me or not. Logging my food helped me become more accountable for my food choices. Now, I will check calories BEFORE I eat something:)

^^^^ This. I cut out all fast food (except salads at first, now I eat the side salads from mcdonalds for a lunch or snack *only 20 cal without dressing*. I cut out needless calories like salad dressings, etc (they hog your calories). I cut out any soda, sweet tea, juice (every once in a while I will mix 8 oz of juice with 8 1/2 oz of water it helps get in my water intake an makes the juice not so sweet so I'm still keeping my taste buds in check! But a nice treat) It took me about a week to recognize that I needed to stop eating late at night, not past 8 pm if I can help it at all...Eat LOTS of protein for breakfast and lunch and eat a SMALL dinner. Help your body by burning off most of your food calories before you sleep :) Also, try to fit in healthy food wherever you can... One thing I'm going to try recently Plain Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream to dip veggies/etc mixed with ranch packets. Switching your mindset and getting more active is what you really have to challenge yourself to. Sometimes cold turkey on stuff is better...helps clear your mind, taste buds and body of the junk!
  • ethannosaurus
    ethannosaurus Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I started to shed the first 5 lbs I watched a few videso from a guy named Paul McKenna and I have not looked back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2Z1fZG50s&feature=related (sorry, I could not find the video without the subtitles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPmu6oCLLS8&feature=related (It's 240p but bare with it and stick to it)

1) When you are hungry, go and eat (no starvation mode)
    2) When you eat, eat what you want but not what you should eat (because you will go crazy wanting cravings)
    3) Eat consciously (slowly, so that when you are full, you will stop)
    4) When you think you are full, stop eating
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!