When is it ok to let go?

Options
MandaCakez
MandaCakez Posts: 18 Member
I started MFP in october. I lost 30lbs in 4 months n have been maintaining for almost 2months. I really would like to wean off of MFP cause eventually I will have to do it on my own but im nore sure when a good time is. Im just really scared I will gain it all back. I dont wanna gain weight, lose it, gain, lose etc. I never really ate strict but just cut back greatly on portions and junk. I just need some advice n motivation. Please help?!

Replies

• kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same although I have a ways to go before even getting to maintence. Only thing with me I dont think Ill be able to let go, I hv met some great new friends thru here!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in october. I lost 30lbs in 4 months n have been maintaining for almost 2months. I really would like to wean off of MFP cause eventually I will have to do it on my own but im nore sure when a good time is. Im just really scared I will gain it all back. I dont wanna gain weight, lose it, gain, lose etc. I never really ate strict but just cut back greatly on portions and junk. I just need some advice n motivation. Please help?!

Congratulations. But what's the big deal? How long does it take for you to log your food on this site, it's not like you're sticking to a specialized diet. If I were you, I would keep logging until you know you have completely internalized your new eating and exercise routines. It might be years. I think that maintaining a weight loss for five years is considered a successful effort.
  • MandaCakez
    Options
    I'll prolly still keep my account active so i have my friends n account so if need b i can start right back where i left off but i know i wont b able to do this forever. I will just have to do atrial and error for like a week and see where it gets me. Who knows maybe ill lose since ill b so paranoid lol
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I think I might miss my new friends.....hmm
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm quickly approaching my goal and plan to continue logging. I suppose if I eat the same things each week and know that my days were within limits there would be no need to log, but logging does encourage me to exercise. Also, if I do take a break from logging and eat anything out of the ordinary, I will log, so I'll know where those choices stand against my daily goal. And, if I gain above a threshold (3 lbs greater than goal), I plan to start logging daily again until it's gone. Goal is to never have more than 5 lbs to lose again, and since this works for me, I plan to continue as long as necessary.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm so far away from that... no idea.

I'm sure it's different for different people. Maybe try not recording for a day a week, then two, then three...

I've lost weight before and have kept it off for quite awhile, but then something else in my life and habits changed. So, I expect that once this works, I'll keep coming back for at least a few days a month to make sure I'm not going off the rails. Maybe I'll pick a weight and say anytime I go over it, I start tracking again? I expect I may want to keep tracking exercise for awhile even after I've reformed my food habits. And perhaps, given what's happened before, I'll track when I'm traveling more or undergoing other major changes in my lifestyle.

I'll be interested to hear what others plan and what has worked for others.

CONGRATULATIONS on meeting your goal and best wishes!
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think that once you feel 100% comfortable with your food knowledge and your ability to resist temptation, it will be no problem saying goodbye to MFP.

I first started with MFP years ago and I became so aware of all the calories each food was that I no longer really needed MFP to keep me in check. So, I stopped logging and didn't really gain. I'm only back because I have a different goal. Toning and muscle definition.

And I agree that you should definitely keep your account and if you're ever unsure about something, pop it into the magic calorie detector.

Best of luck to you. =)
  • PoseyLynn
    Options
    I'm new to the site, but not dieting. I think that if you continue to measure portion sizes you'll be fine. However, you won't have the moral support and constant source of inspiration, which is why I joined. Good luck, and remember to drink water! :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I just recently did it, but it was more because I was fixating on the number of calories I was consuming, rather than the nutrition of the food I was putting my body. I've been focusing on intuitive eating, which has been great. I eat when my body asks for food, and I focus on eating good foods. I still log my calories occasionally just to see about where I'm eating. My eating has been much better than when I was logging though, because I no longer go "I have 300 calories left which means I get cookies." I've been feeling better though, and my weight is starting to drop a bit too.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I found myself becoming far too obsessive about maintenance. So, one day.. I just decided to STOP logging. Yes, I still log into the site for the social side of it, but I don't log my food, my exercise or my water. At some point, you have to learn to have faith in what you've learned and go for it.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Go off for 2 weeks, then come back and log for a week maybe, just to see if you've gone far off the track or not? i dunno :smile:
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You could try taking a few days off of logging every now and then -- perhaps stop logging on weekends. (Continue to monitor your weight, of course, and make any needed adjustments to your diet.) As you become more comfortable with eating intuitively, you can gradually stop logging altogether. If I were you, though, I would keep my account active, and I might log perhaps one day per month, just to see where I stand nutritionally.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    It's a maintenance tool. Why would you quit using it? I think if you just let go, you might just drift a little further and further out of bounds until you might have a weight issue again. There are worse things than using MFP.. like using FB! Just kidding!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will let it go! First, I have found so many great people here promoting a great lifestyle. Second, I like this so much better than other sites. I also think If I stay, as long as its available, I will alway be accountable.
  • MandaCakez
    Options
    Thanx so much everyone. The advice has helped n its nice to know there r ppl who have the same struggles
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Thanx so much everyone. The advice has helped n its nice to know there r ppl who have the same struggles

You're welcome. Again, if this were some pricey program whose owners had a vested interest in keeping you dependent and shelling out lots of money for membership/food/workout routines, I would say "Wean yourself ASAP!" But this is voluntary and fairly painless.

Good luck with whatever works for you.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is simple, you go off MFP when you are no longer scared to do it on your own.

For me, am sticking around so I can share my experience, strength and hope with others to help them along the way. I did not get here by myself there for I want to be there for others that are on the same path as me.
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is NOT a diet, it is a lifestyle. The way you are living and eating will be forever. Yes journally is the best way to stay on your calorie count.

You think you know what to do, but mark my words, because

Maybe not right away but you have to always be careful at what you eat for the most part, you will miss the support here as well. If you are having a bad day or want to share some good news you will be able to tell someone who knows what you are all about.

Please don't stop keeping and eye on your food. Stopping MFP will be a mistake. It is Free so why would you.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    why do you have to let go?
  • treeeee
    treeeee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got away from MFP for about 4-5 months. I lost about 40 lbs and I maintained my weight successfully for that amount of time. I got back on here though because I decided to try and go for the "last 10 lbs".

You can do it, you just have to use the self control and other skills you've learned by tracking your food. Hold yourself accountable, and remember you made this change to get healthy... you want to stay healthy!

I went on vacation to Florida for a week, and told myself it was vacation and there was no tracking food allowed, I needed to just enjoy myself. Well... that's when I ended up leaving for awhile. That was mid- august and I would occasionally get back on to track food here and there (maybe a couple days a month) but I didn't come back to it until I decided I really needed to know what I was eating again, which was about the end of January.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!