Pork Rinds recipes?

Options

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I just eat them out of the bag with a little cream cheese and hot sauce. YUM!!!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Mashed up with fried plantains and garlic to make mofongo! Not carb (or fat) friendly...but DAMN good!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    BEST Pork crackln rinds..whatever come from Wallaces! woot woot sorry Rudolph LOL
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Would you consider these an acquired taste? Do some brands taste better than others?

It can vary by brand, but to me, freshness=better, as some can have a slightly stale taste. But, you can pop them in an oven (or toaster oven) and crisp them back up - just be careful not to let them burn.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, this is an interesting thread. I have never heard of anyone eating them anyway but straight out of the bag. I had no idea people cooked with pork rinds.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Saturday night I processed a bag of spicy pork rinds and about 1/2 cup of powder grated cheese and used it to coat some chicken slices. I baked them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then flipped and cooked another 20 minutes. They were pretty dang good.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Well, this is an interesting thread. I have never heard of anyone eating them anyway but straight out of the bag. I had no idea people cooked with pork rinds.

You've been missing out!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas and or recipes to use Pork Rinds? I just bought my first bag of them, though they seem popular in NC I've never tried them. They are zero carb- and I'm on a low carb diet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Poppers!

grind them small, split jalapenos, and stuff them with cream cheese and cheese, then coat with egg, and pork rinds. Bake. FEAST.

I love them!
    Also great for a "shake and bake".
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hey Smiles and fellow pork rind lovers! I work for REDACTED, the world's largest manufacturer of pork rinds ... and we just HAD to pipe up and say kudos on your smart snack choices!
    Holy ****! Does OP work there? Was this a set-up?
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Those damn marketing wizards got me again. *wipes pork rind crumbs from shirt*
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Would you consider these an acquired taste? Do some brands taste better than others?
    The best ones are those made on a corner in Mexico. Otherwise, your local Mexican butcher should have some. Ask to try first, to assure that they aren't stale.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hey Smiles and fellow pork rind lovers! I work for Rudolph Foods, the world's largest manufacturer of pork rinds ... and we just HAD to pipe up and say kudos on your smart snack choices!

Your hunch is right - pork rinds are PERFECT for healthy snacking or even as ingredients in main dishes. Eat them as they are, in a dip like salsa or guacamole, or use them to bread fish, chicken wings & pizza! Here's our trust list of family recipes: http://www.rudolphfoods.com/wp/category/recipes.

Although family & friends might think the opposite, pork rinds really aren't fattening as you obviously already know! In fact, they have zero carbs, are low on the glycemic index (diabetes), are gluten-free and best of all, pack more protein than a handful of peanuts. Amazing, right?

If you have more questions, you can learn more at www.RudolphFoods.com! Keep crunching & enjoy :)

Why am I so completely freaked out by this post? Are pork rinds stalking MFP???

ditto! it was like a creepy, over zealous commercial! That said, I had no idea people did anything with pork rinds other than eat them straight out of the bag. I also didn't know they were high in protien!
  • maganda_babae
    Options
    I usually just eat them out of the bag or with some cream cheese and salsa. I'm loving all these other ideas though and am going to have try some of them! :smile:
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the ideas and the fun thread! I rarely post but I think I will now! Happy Monday everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What are they again? Deep fried skin? Or is it deep fried intestinal lining?
    deepn fried skin. collagen, no protein value.
    I thought collagen was the most abundant protein found in animals making up something like 20-30% of our entire protein content?

Yeah, thought my biology class was right.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21582/

it is not a protein that has a nutritional value. your body cannot metabolize it into amino acids. therefore it has no protein value.
  • Testosterone
    Options

this is an odd claim, the bag I have right now ( clancy) , for 3 servings, ( 1.5 oz total) I get 24 grams of protein, 15 grams of fat and just 240 calories. ( and 0 carbs..)

oh and to answer the original poster, I just eat them from the bag straight, or use them as a good sturdy high(er) protein replacment for corn chips.

there are a lot of calories in cellulose. our body cant process those either. youre not getting protein from pork rinds. thats why they say "not a significant source of protein" on the bag.
  • Testosterone
    Options
    I thought collagen was the most abundant protein found in animals making up something like 20-30% of our entire protein content?

Yeah, thought my biology class was right.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21582/

there are a lot of minerals in rocks. does that mean that eating them gives us minerals? the amount of something is not the amino acid profile of said thing.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I too simmer them in home made salsa til soft and eat them alone or in corn tortillas . Delish!!
  • Testosterone
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_6370701_collagen-protein-its-nutritional-value_.html

Protein Quality
    Collagen is not a complete protein because it is lacking in the amino acid tryptophan. A Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAA) of a complete protein is 1.0. Collagen's PDCAA score is 0.08.

1.0 is complete. so, anyone want to argue the wrong side some more?
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Chicharrones with scrambled eggs in a corn tortilla. :-)