1 year down rest of my life to go

Options
Here is a one year update on my journey from *kitten* to FIT. I was clocking in at 300 lbs and had a body fat percentage north of 40%. It's been a fun journey with quite a few ups and downs and i've learned so much about diet and fitness and continue to learn more every day. I learned that calories matter, but more importantly, proper balancing of maco-nutrients (Protein, Carbs, and Fats). I've learned why flexing is good for you and why people do it although my assumption is that many do not. I learned why gyms have mirros in them, the value of weight belts, proper form, lots of rest, reduced sodium intake, drinking less alcohol, lordosis, and many many more things. I would say that I spent about 6 months doing things totally wrong and I can see now why so many people fail when they have such a daunting task in front of them. It's easy to start the journey and the path may be obvious, but it's certainly not clear. I became a student of fitness and transforming the body and i've enjoyed it and continue to study and learn more every day. There are so many other things I could say like how my wardrobe doesn't come close to fitting anymore, how my rings fall off my finger or how I don't get winded walking to the car, but i'm not going to bore you with those details. Despite the obstacles like blowing out my back that put me out for 2 months and some shoddy knees from my youth I look forward to the 2 year mark.

1 Year Me: = 237.6 pounds. 23.6% body fat. The pictures speak for themselves. Another 8-10% body fat to go.

jobs_me-2.jpg

iPhone341-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Replies

• diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well done. You can see a massive difference
  • frizico
    frizico Posts: 30
    Options
    Amazing job!!
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    fab work well done!!
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Very impressive!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh my stars, you looked like you were about to give birth to twins. :D

Well done. Nice to be able to see your 'feet' again? :D:D:D
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    WTG, what an inspiration on how to do it the right way. I'm learning the same things now and actually enjoying my progress. I have yo-yo'd my weight for years and years but this year it is coming off and staying off. This site has helped a lot with managing the macro-nutrients. Keep up the good work!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Amazing! What macros do you have? :-)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Great story for a monday morning, delighted for you, truely amazing
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    What a transformation
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!! Way to go!!!
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration great job!!!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I read your post it impressed me that you have transformed your way of life as well as your body. Truly wonderful!
    Thanks for posting. :drinker:
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    You look fab, your arms are impressive :)
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    wow, great job!! Huge difference! (and your baby? Too cute!!! LOL)
    Thanks so much for sharing
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Very nice!!
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great job mate. I am on a very similar journey, bit older, bit bigger, but learnig all the way. Would be grateful for your views on the macro nutrients. I am trying to up my protein levels this week to see where that gets me.

Inspiring post. Thanks
  • tantrum69
    tantrum69 Posts: 16
    Options
    Great job mate. I am on a very similar journey, bit older, bit bigger, but learnig all the way. Would be grateful for your views on the macro nutrients. I am trying to up my protein levels this week to see where that gets me.

Inspiring post. Thanks

Here is what's been working for me. I got serious about tracking my food and macro's when I hit a plateau around 255. That's actually how I came across MyFitnessPal. It's helped considerably and having the iOS version lets me make on the spot food choices so I don't really need a 'meal plan' for the day.

My Macro goal split is currently.

P: 40%
    C: 40%
    F: 20%
    In reality it usually ends up being 40/35/25.

The most fluctuation is between my FAT and my Carbs. I pretty much always hit my Protein numbers since I wake up with Whey Protein and go to sleep with Casein Protein. I try to fluctuate the macros a bit during the week on purpose too. For example, one day I'll over Carb, under Protein and come in at the goal for Fat. My general reasoning is to not let my body ever think it needs to 'hold on' to more protein, carbs, or fat. I did Atkins about 9 years ago and rebounded so hard it felt like gram for gram was being just stored as fat for a rainy day. I try to eat every 2-3 hours and try to never let my body ever enter a hunger state. I do incorporate cheat meals and sometimes cheat days. Even on those days, it's usually not absurd. I also try to drink very little alcohol. I want my liver to do it's job disposing of the crap in my body not breaking down alcohol. Not to mention, I don't need it slowing my metabolism down.

Training wise, my routine is like that of a Body Builder (compound movements and isolated movements done to failure at 8-12 reps)

Monday: Pull routines (bi's/back)
    Tuesday: Push routines (chest/tri's/shoulders)
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Lower body.
    Friday: Light Cardio or sometimes Light Cardio & Shoulders if I didn't get them done on Tuesday.
    Saturday: Intense Cardio
    Sunday: Light Cardio.

I usually work in Ab on the weekends - but honestly, my core gets sore the most from my compound routines. Pull-Ups especially.

Unless I stop dropping body fat or hit around 15% i'm planning to keep this up till September. I would like to follow Dr. Layne Norton's PHAT program through the holidays Oct-Dec and then lean out for next Spring and be doing solely maintenance for Summer of 2013. Lofty goals.. but hey, you gotta have em.

I'm still learning alot but mainly what works for me and I'm happy to share.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs a goal to aim for and this posting is or should be a very nice inspiration for others.
    It was very nice that you posted this. Thank you and great job.
    I wish you the best on the remainder of your journey :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!