Why You Should Eat More: A Lion's Tale

Options
Hello guys and gals. I decided today to share my weight loss story with other people on MFP so that you can understand why it is essential to eat above your Basal Metabolic Rate. Many of you believe that 1200 calories a day is enough, or that it isn't important to eat back your exercise calories. I'm here to tell you why you should.

I started losing weight in January 2011 with my mom's old Weight Watcher's materials (slide rule, points books, etc) and at first, everything was going great. I needed to lose at least 100 pounds to reach a healthy weight range and I was totally ready to make the change. In the beginning, I was losing 2 lbs per week just by watching what I ate. But after 5 or 6 months I started to notice some pretty weird declines in physical health. I was hungry and irritable all the time, but since I was eating the amount of food that I thought I was supposed to, I didn't understand why there was a problem.

Some symptoms:
- My body felt soft/squishy
- My nails were growing in with divots in them, not smooth
- My hair fell out, thinning to about half the normal thickness
- I was tired, grumpy, and generally unpleasant (all the time)
- I would inexplicably carb binge on the weekends
- About 8 months in, I plateaued and stopped losing weight

Looking back now, I understand why all of this happened. At the time though, I was so obsessed with meeting some contrived number to lose weight that I was pretty much starving and too nearsighted to recognize the signs. Yesterday, I was going through my room and found an old notebook where I was keeping track of the food I was eating (before I joined MFP) - now that I have a better grasp for calorie counting, it was glaringly obvious that I was eating 200 calories BELOW my BMR, every day, and had no clue that my body was starving. My lean body mass (muscle) was being broken down to support my unsustainable calorie deficit, and so I felt worse some days than before I started losing weight due to my lack of muscle tone.

I lost hair and experienced weird nail growth by not eating enough protein, or enough calories in general. I would binge on carbs because my body needed food and sometimes the temptation got so strong that I literally could not stop myself from popping unlimited bags of popcorn. You need to understand that these things happened because I was not eating the amount of food I needed to. Just as you need to eat BELOW a certain number to lose weight - you also need to eat ABOVE one, too.

If this story sounds similar to your life right now, I want you to listen to me because you CAN fix it.

After Christmas I had lost a total of 70 pounds but still wanted to drop another 40 more to reach a healthy weight. I joined MyFitnessPal and learned that I should be eating more calories (1450) than I had been eating with the Points program (1250). I figured, okay, maybe that was my problem after all! Let me try eating more and exercising more, make sure I get enough fat and protein, and hopefully things will be better on the second part of my weight loss journey.

I started P90x and went to the gym twice a week with my best friend. Things were going better, but I still noticed that come weekends, I still really felt the urge to devour a bagel or a ton of pizza. (Carb temptations! I knew this was probably a sign that my calories were STILL too low.)

At the end of P90x (earlier this April) I noticed my energy level was on the decline. It's important to notice those kinds of things, and I realized there was probably something still wrong with my diet. With all of these factors adding up, I decided it was time to REALLY investigate the scientific dynamics of my eating habits.

Instead of listening to MFP's automatic calorie assignment, I did some major math by myself. I broke out a calculator and became a total nerd for about three hours while I crunched numbers and compiled an Excel Spread Sheet to calculate my Body Fat %, Lean Body Mass, BMR, and Total Daily Energy Expenditure using scientific equations based on nutritional science.

What I came up with:
- TDEE (how many calories I burn every day): 2200
- BMR (average b/w both equations): 1550
- What I should ACTUALLY be eating to lose 1 lb a week.... 1700 calories. Minimum. Every day. (Without exercise)

Despite my best efforts at joining MFP in January I still hadn't completely fixed my problem. I had been eating 250 calories less than I should have been to maintain a healthy functioning body. As of a week ago, I have fixed this. Now that I'm eating more I have a TON of energy. And even since joining in January (when I half-fixed my problem), I have noticed my hair growing back in thick, my nails are healthy and shiny, my mood is much more optimistic, and my brain is no longer stuck thinking about food all the time (whereas when I was on Weight Watchers, I found myself obsessing).

I've noticed remarkable changes in myself and I hope that you guys will listen to my advice when I say that you should eat ABOVE your BMR. It's important to feed your body and nourish it if you expect to make it healthier. And keep in mind that diet alone is no good - if you want to lose body fat and feel good it is really important to exercise. (And remember to eat the calories you burned to fuel your working muscles.)

If you meet the following goals:
- Eat above your BMR
- Exercise
- Drink lots of water
- Sleep well

You will lose fat at a steady rate and feel great doing it. And to end my post, I'll leave you with a quote that really got me thinking, and shifted my focus from "Lose Weight" to "Get Healthy"....

"Your body will not run on too few calories just because you DECIDED it would."

Good luck everyone on your weight loss, and I wish you all the best in finding the new healthier you. I know I have.

- Skinnylion

Replies

• Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Well put, thanks for sharing that! I wish MFP was set up better to calculate BMR and now allow the daily goal to dip below that.
  • kkbucf
    kkbucf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I saw an interview with Richard Simmons once. He said that thin afro was fake and that he had lost HIS hair, permanently, by starving himself thin.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    wow
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Well put, thanks for sharing that! I wish MFP was set up better to calculate BMR and now allow the daily goal to dip below that.
    Thanks for the response! I agree.

I saw an interview with Richard Simmons once. He said that thin afro was fake and that he had lost HIS hair, permanently, by starving himself thin.
    It's incredible how much damage you can do by not eating right. :/
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going through the same thing myself right now, and have learned a lot on this site.
    Thanks so much for posting your experience. :smile:
  • skinnylion
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going through the same thing myself right now, and have learned a lot on this site.
    Thanks so much for posting your experience. :smile:
    I'm glad you were able to take something from it! That was my goal. Thanks for replying. :)
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Wait, wait. I think you are missing the bigger picture. He chose that hair?!?!
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    Wow thats an inspiring story. Im glad you found out what works for you!! Everyone seems to think that starving is the only way to lose weight. Why bother losing weight that way if you're just doing more harm than good? Good for you!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I knew all this (now, anyway) but wanted to read your story ;) Amazing, thank you for taking the time to share! MFP assumed the 1200 calorie goal for me as well when I started which landed me in the same predicament without the side affects. I found my head was cloudy when I was studying though. Upped my calorie goal 450 + exercise calories and and what a difference. Everyone thinks they're satisfied eating so little because they feel full...and then they don't realize how shrunk their stomach's are and decide on a bloated stomach eating more isn't for them and tell all the people who can eat a million times more vegetables then them that they're ok because they eat lots of vegetables. What a mistake that is...which seems to land everyone in a Plateau...or some kind of deficiency or health related problem. I was lucky enough to never reach that point.

p.s. hmm I've been trying to eat more protein and my nails (which have always been considerably long) are growing significantly longer without cracking. Perhaps this is why?
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Now THAT was a great response!
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Great post =] x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

LOL. Yes. In the 80s. You'd think he could afford to choose again!
  • Joeyje3
    Joeyje3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Love this. Thanks for sharing. :smile:
    I noticed my BMR is higher than MFP suggested, I think I'm going to try to eat a little more and see if that helps. I also feel when you eat a little more, your satisfied and don't "obsess" with what you have to eat and can concentrate more on other things - like exercise.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    As of a week ago, I have fixed this. Now that I'm eating more I have a TON of energy

Did you add any particular foods, or just more of everything ? I notice you have a high carb intake usually 1,000 or more calories a day from carbs.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers a few years ago, using information that was given to me by someone on another site. When I went back and checked my calories, I noticed the same thing you did. Even though I was eating all my points, my calories were always under 1000, usually close to 700. Calories are so much easier to trust.
  • skinnylion
    Options
    As of a week ago, I have fixed this. Now that I'm eating more I have a TON of energy

Did you add any particular foods, or just more of everything ? I notice you have a high carb intake usually 1,000 or more calories a day from carbs.

More of everything. I don't eat as much protein now that I've finished P90x, but I try to eat a minimum of 35g of fat every day and at least 60g of protein. I'm less strict about breads and carbs in general. (This past week isn't a great example though! I was feeling sick so I haven't been working out, and finals are coming so I'm being nicer about what I get to have.) Mostly... just eat what makes you happy and what will generally fit your macros. Obsessing over numbers isn't good for anyone's mental health.

Also, even though I do have a place in my heart for white bread and bagels, a lot of my carbs come from natural sources like yogurt, milk, fruits, vegetables, and grains. (Usually!)

@Joeyje3 - Exactly! It feels much more natural and healthy. I'm glad you liked my post.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This might explain why I am STARVING right now! I've been eating the 1200 and besides being a total witch to my husband, I noticed today that I am starting to obsess over food and as I was reading your post I was sitting here eating 3 cups of air-popped popcorn. :(