Runners will get what big deal this is...

Options
A little back story....

I have been overweight/obese/morbidly obese most of my life. I have not been at healthy weight since early grade school. So to say I was not athletic growing up would be an understatement. I occasionally rode my bike or walked with my friends, but I never participated in games of tag or played in organized sports.

In 2004 I started on my weight loss. The only exercise I got was from walking and the occasional workout tape/DVD.

I started running Memorial Day of 2009. After three month of walking to get my body used to going 3 miles, I was ready for my first "run." My goal that day, to run 3 full minutes without stopping. Which I did. But I thought I was going to die. Then I burst into tears when I realized even though I had lost 80 pounds, I was still very out of shape.

With the support of my husband (who had been running several years at that) point, I stuck with it. Running a little more every time I went out. My goal was to be able to run a 5K, then I wanted to do one of the Disney Races (most of which are 1/2 marathons), so that meant more training and more running.

Before doing my first Disney race, I signed up to the 1/2 Marathon in Salt Lake City. This was course my husband knew and the course stays open a long time because it merges with the Marathon course, so no time pressure to complete the race.

In April of 2010, just 11 months after my first 3 minute run, I ran 13.1 miles. I did it in 2:58:42 seconds, which was awesome since my training was stalled for two weeks due to a strained muscle and my longest training run ended up being just 7.5 miles. But I was hooked... and over the last two years I have now done a total of six half marathons. Better my time with each race.

Now, to the point of my post... In January I ran the Tinkerbell Half Marathon with a finishing time of 2:38:09 seconds. My best time yet!

This past weekend I ran the Salt Lake City Half Marathon (my third year of running it) with two friends that I had trained with over the winter. One of my friends wanted to finish with a 2:30:00 time, but I was hoping for 2:34 or 2:35.

Imagine my shock when I finished in 2:21:31! I knocked 16 minutes off my best time -- in less than 3 months! :noway: And the weird part was the first three miles where a struggle... was having the total "bad run day" at the start of the race where everything hurts and I couldn't get my breathing right.

I am still in a bit of a shock at the whole event... but very proud that I did it.

But now I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to beat that time.... Guess I'll find out in July when I run my next Half Marathon! :laugh:

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You should be very proud of what you've achieved!

It just goes to show with the right attitude and the right training your body will deliver what you ask of it and more!
  • mrsajcarter
    mrsajcarter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Way to go! What an awesome accomplishment! I too went from barely being able to run 1 mile straight to running 1/2 marathons without walking -- it's a great feeling. Keep up the AMAZING work!!!!
  • formerpyt
    formerpyt Posts: 56
    Options
    Wow! What a tremendously inspiring story! So often, we defeat ourselves with negative thinking and allow ourselves to give up. Your hubby must be very proud of you and you should be very proud of yourself. Best of luck at your next half marathon!
  • kilojoule
    kilojoule Posts: 74
    Options
    wow your flying! i also got bit by the running bug last year as I helped my wife get back to what she calls high school skinny! She has since run 2 half marathons and just signed up for her first full marathon. I've run a few full full marathons now and am training for a sub 3 hour to get into Boston. It is addicting to say the least...my friends thought i was nuts one morning when i decided to run into work - 28 miles away haha. Again great times and congrats on your accomplishments
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself and I'm sure your husband is also! Good luck in the next race!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fab-U-Lous!!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well done - this is amazing progress!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Good for you.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Nicely done! :)
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have done incredible. Way to go :happy:
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Awesome! So happy for you! :) Keep up the good work!
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! :flowerforyou: Nice PR!
  • wheezard
    wheezard Posts: 3
    Options
    Congrats! That is a great time! You have every right to be super proud. Keep up the good work and before you know it you will be aiming for a sub 2:00 half!
  • shabbal
    shabbal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Conratulations! What an awesome feeling to have SUCH an improvement after a not so good start:(
    Keep on running-sounds like you enjoy it.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    A 16 minute PR is HUGE!!! Congratulations!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Knocking sixteen minutes off your personal best is MASSIVE!

I'm running my first 5k race in July and have been totally bit by the running bug. My boyfriend is doing his first half marathon in five weeks and I'm seriously considering entering next year.