More calories?

Options
ksnel3
ksnel3 Posts: 107 Member
Myfitnesspal has me eating 1200 calories a day, which is astonishing to me because I am 5'4" and weigh 191. I think this might be why I hit a plateau.. My BMR is 1604 and my TDEE is 2593. From what I understand my body is probably in starvation mode. How do I figure out how many calories my body needs, while making a small deficit to help lose more weight?

Replies

• watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You don't want to eat less than your BMR. To create a deficit, use your TDEE as the number to subtract from. What did you use to figure out your BMR and TDEE numbers?
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You don't want to eat less than your BMR. To create a deficit, use your TDEE as the number to subtract from. What did you use to figure out your BMR and TDEE numbers?
    This! You need to eat at least your BMR. Yes---use your TDEE as the number to subtract from.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You are probably trying to lose too quickly. Adjust your goals to one lb a week and see how that works for you
    . I know slower is frustrating, but its also healthier..and that ought to be the ultimate goal.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Start with your BMR, and go up from there slowly.

OR

Subtract 15% from your TDEE: 2590 - 15% = ~2200
  • LivyB14
    LivyB14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a week ago and then I found www.freedieting.com. Click on "calulators" (left hand column) -->click "calorie calulators". It breaks it all down for you. Each week I lose, I go in and recalculate. Good luck!!
  • LivyB14
    LivyB14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a week ago and then I found www.freedieting.com. Click on "calulators" (left hand column) -->click "calorie calulators". It breaks it all down for you. Each week I lose, I go in and recalculate. Good luck!!
    I meant CALCULATORS!!! LOL
  • ksnel3
    Options

A different calorie counting website
  • ksnel3
    Options
    You are probably trying to lose too quickly. Adjust your goals to one lb a week and see how that works for you
    . I know slower is frustrating, but its also healthier..and that ought to be the ultimate goal.

I actually did this earlier, the caloric goal seemed more healthy to me!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to 1 lb per week from the beginning, and lost 2/wk anyway without feeling deprived. Slower weight loss is better in the long run anyway.

I asked where you got your numbers because that would affect what you do with exercise calories. Some sites have your activity level figured in already in your TDEE (i.e. F2F), so you just wouldn't want to use that and then also eat back exercise calories on MFP since they would already be factored in. Just something to consider when combining info from 2 sources.