Kettle Bell Workout----How Count??

Options
I just purchased a low weight kettle bell and a kettle bell workout DVD. I don't see kettle bells listed under exercises here. How should I count? As general strength training? Cardio? Both? I don't have a HRM, btw.

Replies

• 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you are doing with the kettlebell.

Swings & snatches are lots of cardio - presses & squats more strength.

I usually enter it as 1/2 strength training and 1/2 light aerobics and hope that I'm guessing low, but I realize that's not really answering your question. There are many people here who have much more accurate methods than that, hopefully someone can answer your question better.

Thanks to a suggestion in the kettlebell group here, I've been reading about Tracy Reifind, and recently got her book "The Swing". I highly recommend it, and think you can read a preview on Amazon.

Good luck with your kettlebell - they are lots of fun!
  • dburdi02
    dburdi02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hmm, here's my thought... Since kettle bells combine body parts and have some cardio type moves maybe this would fit under low level plyo?? To track it on here I would put it in as squats with dumbbells or squats with shoulder press (whatever the move most closely resembles with rack weights) and list the kettle bell's weight just like a dumbbell. The figure 8's you do for abs can be classified as maybe an oblique crunch or something. Maybe the video you bought has a webpage you can reference and somebody on MFP can add these workouts to the database...
    Much luck!
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lucky Fred, I think the DVD covers four areas....arms, legs, core and general.....so I think it incorporates all those moves. I like your idea of counting half cardio, half strength. Thanks!