Weight loss assistance - protein shakes, carnitine etc

Options
I'd like to know people's thoughts on using things such as protein shakes, paired with liquid carnitine and thermogenic pills to assist in weight loss if you are eating well and exercising.

Do these help or are they just another diet gimic?

Replies

• christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes because they are an easy way to get a ot of protein and to add calories if I am under.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are an easy way to increase protein consumption while keeping calories low. Carnitine supplements shouldn't be necessary if you are eating a balanced diet (unless perhaps you are a body builder). Thermogenic pills are a waste of money at best, and could do significant damage to your health.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just what others have said, good way to get protein levels up and occasional meal skip if you're truly not hungry / haven't got time to eat.

As for the others, I personally don't believe in anything that involves pills of "supplements" that you aren't being prescribed by your doctor.
    99% of the time you are getting enough, and their supposed benefits are so minute its not justified spending the money on them.

There's no magic weight loss pill, so don't look for it: its as simple as energy spent > energy consumed. Sorry :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are an easy way to increase protein consumption while keeping calories low. Carnitine supplements shouldn't be necessary if you are eating a balanced diet (unless perhaps you are a body builder). Thermogenic pills are a waste of money at best, and could do significant damage to your health.

^^this
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    They have helped me with weight loss, it is especially a good idea of you have little time to eat, cook healthy, or a bad cook. I have felt full on my routine.
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Protein in the morning is the only thing I have found that actually keeps me full until lunch time. If I eat anything else I'm hungry in an hour.. so a good protein/berry (or just protein with 1% milk/coconut milk/soymilk) would work as a great addition (or quick breakfast if you're short on time). They're also great as a snack...just uh great in general lol and tasty. Especially if you get the vanilla flavor :).

You need protein to build muscle as well. And muscle burns fat, so it's essential to any good diet!

I only tried weight loss pills once when I was younger and they gave me serious migraines. So they're not worth it to me. You should feel great during a lifestyle change, not feel like you're dying!

Hard work, perserverence and good food choices will win everytime. Good luck!
  • reneealyse
    reneealyse Posts: 100
    Options
    Basically my reason for asking is because I've run out of my normal protein powder and when i was looking at ordering more there was a sale for a 1.5kg tub of protein powder, a bottle of liquid carnitine and a bottle of thermo pills all for $180. The protein itself is $122 so I was wondering if it was worth the extra money to get the extra products. The idea is to have one or two protein shakes a day, either for breakfast or as an after - exercise snack, take one of the thermo pills before each main meal of the day, and take 10mls of the liquid carnitine 1-3 times a day.

Apparently if you stack them all together like this, you get better results. Unsure if this is the case but it sounds like a good deal.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Very high protein intake won't do much for you unless you're systematically tearing your muscle fibers (also known as lifting).

Also, what protein costs that much? The whey powder I use is $20 for a 2lb tub.
  • honeybee518
    honeybee518 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    if you try premier protein shakes, they are pretty good and generally keep you full if you drink it slowly. they are only 160 calories and have 30g of protein. i think they are good meal replacements to help you lose weight
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Basically my reason for asking is because I've run out of my normal protein powder and when i was looking at ordering more there was a sale for a 1.5kg tub of protein powder, a bottle of liquid carnitine and a bottle of thermo pills all for $180. The protein itself is $122 so I was wondering if it was worth the extra money to get the extra products. The idea is to have one or two protein shakes a day, either for breakfast or as an after - exercise snack, take one of the thermo pills before each main meal of the day, and take 10mls of the liquid carnitine 1-3 times a day.

Apparently if you stack them all together like this, you get better results. Unsure if this is the case but it sounds like a good deal.
    that is a lie to sell you 180 of stuff you could have gotten for 72.00

http://www.allstarhealth.com/li.aspx?k=Elite+Whey+Protein

dymatize vanilla 10 lb tub 72.50 plus 6 shipping. 114 calories 24 grams protein per serving.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Love my protein shake every morning!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    L-carnitine in liquid or pills (same as CLA) are not very effective. Very few people swear by it and it takes a very long time to start seeing true results and can get very expensive. I used to work at a vitamin/supplement store and many people would come in and return the stuff. I think a lot of body builders use it.... but I think you are better of just incorporating protein shakes (low in sugar/carbs) as meal replacements and then lowering your sugar/carb count.. and incoporating more cardio and weights into your routine.

Don't waste your money on the carnitine.. and don't let the guys in the store try to pull you toward CLA either.