High Protein & Low Calorie Foods

Options
What is your favorite high protein - low fat/calorie foods?

I need to extend my diet beyond low fat cottage cheese, eggs, chicken, quinoa, yogurt, and pinto/kidney beans. Any additional suggestions? Again, they need to be LOW calorie - my resting metabolism puts me at a 1200 calorie per day consumption without adding in my exercise.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Replies

• pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I need to extend my diet beyond low fat cottage cheese, eggs, chicken, quinoa, yogurt, and pinto/kidney beans. Any additional suggestions? Again, they need to be LOW calorie - my resting metabolism puts me at a 1200 calorie per day consumption without adding in my exercise.

I think you hit all the popular ones, hence the lack of replies. I also use whey supplements and beef. I have friends who rave about tuna steak, but I'm not a seafood person.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    seitan, mushrooms, edamame, lox

...protein shakes.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Asparagus wrapped in turkey bacon.. baked in oven ... its not LOADED with protein.. but they both have a good balance of protein/fat.

As someone else mentioned.. you hit on all the main ones. My fave lately is greek yogurt... my second fave would be Think Thin or Atkins protein bars. They are between 190-250 calories a piece, however they keep you full and are a good meal replacement.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

I think you hit all the popular ones, hence the lack of replies. I also use whey supplements and beef. I have friends who rave about tuna steak, but I'm not a seafood person.

No lie about tuna steak. A 6oz ahi has 40 g of protein!!!!! But.. I tried them and wasn't too wild about em either.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    +1 for the mighty tuna
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i LOVE ahi tuna steaks!

it's great lightly marinaded in balsamic or a sesame ginger dressing and pan seared (2 or 3 minutes on each side)
    slice it on the bias and serve over greens with avocado, mango, and green apple!!
  • kldakat
    kldakat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You mean there is more than just protein shakes?!?!

Thats how it feels anyway. But I also eat almonds, beef jerky, and 85% dark chocolate (when i really need something ELSE besides a shake). Spinach and Broccoli also have a lot of protein for being low cal vegetables.
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    Jumbo shrimp -- you can buy frozen at Costco so it's not too expensive
  • navy1984
    navy1984 Posts: 57
    Options
    Quest bars are great because you can stash them in your purse. 20 g protien 17 grams fiber.:smile:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you're going to think yogurt, do greek yogurt, not the plain ol' "regular yogurt.". One cup of plain fat free plain greek yogurt is 130 calories and up to 23 g of protein (the Fage fat free stuff is 23g per the container that's in my fridge, it's the highest I've seen out there). Compare that to Yoplait's fat free vanilla yogurt, for a 1 cup serving - 140 calories, only 7 grams of protein (per their website). I usually mix my greek yogurt with some kind of mashed up berries to get a little bit more flavor out of it, makes a great mid-morning snack.

I've also been doing left over roasted turkey breast (sans skin) - 4 ounces is about 150 calories with 33 grams of protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Shrimp, tofu...

Costco has really nice frozen tilapia.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Whey, egg whites, tuna, tilapia, salmon, pretty much all other fish/seafood, skim milk, BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREAST, ground chicken, ground turkey, beef( if it is very lean), turkey cutlets,
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    All the above. But I also love homemade vegetable soups which have protein and are low/cal depending on what you put in them.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    lentil soup!
  • keddabee
    keddabee Posts: 81
    Options
    Nice to know about Shrimp! Never thought of that and always looking for new things!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky MMMMMMMM
  • lilnicg
    lilnicg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I appreciate it! I'l be going grocery shopping later this week, and have several new things to try! :happy:
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    i LOVE ahi tuna steaks!

it's great lightly marinaded in balsamic or a sesame ginger dressing and pan seared (2 or 3 minutes on each side)
    slice it on the bias and serve over greens with avocado, mango, and green apple!!

sounds worth trying to me, thanks!
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Kanga bangas- Australian sausages, not sure whether your are from aus, or if you can get them where you are. But check it out.. Def worth it. 70 calories per a sausage.. And they are extremely high in protein and low in fat! Cottagecheese and ryvita crackers are good. Celery and organic peanut butter... Yum! 'good' fats :P
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    BUMP!