Want to start lifting weights

Options
I'm doing a Couch to 5K program because my husband and myself want to be able to do a 5k later this year or maybe next year. But I'm wanting to start lifting weights. I haven't lifted weights in years. What lbs of weights should I start off with? Would 5 lbs be suitable or should I start with 3 lbs?

Replies

• jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert (and just started myself!) but I would say whatever weight that allows you to do 3 sets, 8-10 reps before becoming too difficult to keep proper form. The last two sets should be challenging-otherwise I would up the weight slightly. Just my two cents! Go newbie weight lifters!
  • CrumCake81
    Options
    That would probably be 5 maybe 7 lbs for me. I think I may start with 5. Thanks!!!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I personally think if you are going to only do 5lb it's not really worth it. It needs to be challenging or it's pointless, you might be surprised how much you can actually lift. 5lbs is nothing, I bet you lift more then that by just bringing in groceries.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Women can lift WAAAAYYYYY heavier than they give themselves credit for. If you are not feeling a burn up the anti. Chances are if you are not feeling it then it isn't doing you any good :-)

There are lots of articles ( and workouts) on Bodybuilding.com to help get you started :-)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Look into Strong Lifts 5x5 (free program on line) and New Rules of Lifting For Women (can get it on Amazon), both excellent~
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    here are some links that helped me out. and i agree with others that say you're probably stronger then you think

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You may want to start with using your own body weight and work your way up to weights. Check on the book called: "You Are Your Own Gym" on Amazon. Good stuff.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There are lots of useful exercises you can do with 5 lb weights. Go for it!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Look into Strong Lifts 5x5 (free program on line) and New Rules of Lifting For Women (can get it on Amazon), both excellent~

:noway:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Start your first day as a trail. You can def lift more weight then that. Do not be shy. I think most woman think they are not strong but you will be surprised on how much you can lift.
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    bump
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

:noway:

hmmm
    I think you jave posted first that you can't find it

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    click download now, it will request your email, and then you will get email with info where to download form
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Start off where you can safely! Yes, women have the capacity to lift heavy but if you go all out and too heavy at first, you could injure yourself as I did. Different parts of your body maybe stronger as I learned. I am rehabbing an injured shoulder and am using 4 lb weights in rehab. Take your time and get to the heavy lifting when you are ready, especially if you are not used to lifting. I made the mistake of thinking since I used to sling produce boxes that I could go in their and tear it up. Resistance bands and your own body weight are good places to start. I have both 3 and 5 lb weights or you can go for an adjustable dumbbell set, but I don't have any suggestions on which ones. Good luck and lift safely and slowly!
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CrumCake81
    Options
    Wow I didn't think I would get so many responses. Thank you to everyone!!! I just don't want to do too much too soon and then regret it later. Thanks again!