Everyone says lift heavy but...

Options

Replies

• spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    Is failure when you absolutely cannot do another rep? Thanks I'm so freakin clueless with this terminology lol

For safety, unless you're working with a spotter, consider failure as when you can't do another rep while maintaining good form.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    For strength & hypertrohpy I'd say 3 sets of 8 on all of the compound lifts would be just about perfect.

Start at low weights & get you're form checked by someone knowledgeable.

Add 2.5lbs for upper body or 5lbs to lower body if you make 3x8. Do this every workout.

Soon enough, you won't make 3x8. If you make one more rep than previous workout, then that is positive progress. If you fail to make progress for 3 workouts in a row, drop the weight 10%.

Rinse & repeat.

Eat moderate cal deficit with minimum protein (1g/lb of LBM) and fat (.35g/lb of BW)

= sexiness :tongue:
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    For strength & hypertrohpy I'd say 3 sets of 8 on all of the compound lifts would be just about perfect.

Add 2.5lbs for upper body or 5lbs to lower body if you make 3x8. Do this every workout.

Soon enough, you won't make 3x8. If you make one more rep than previous workout, then that is positive progress. If you fail to make progress for 3 workouts in a row, drop the weight 10%.

Rinse & repeat.

Eat moderate cal deficit with minimum protein (1g/lb of LBM) and fat (.35g/lb of BW)

^^ This is why I train with this guy and is what I do in my lifting sessions. Have made some good progress!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'll give you an example of how I lift heavy on certain compound exercises:

Flat DB Bench Press
    2 warm up sets: 8-10 reps (working up to 70% weight)
    Set 1: 90lb 6-8 reps, if I get to 10 reps, I go to 95 lbs for set 2. I never go to failure on first set.
    Set 2: 95lb 6-8 reps, go to failure. I don't stop at 8 if I can muster another.
    Set 3: 95lb (rinse/repeat) - train to failure.

If for whatever reason I cannot get to atleast 6 reps on any of my work-sets then I drop the weight 5lbs for the NEXT chest training session. (sorry I didnt explain this right before I edited.)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you are doing is "heavy lifting". I would also make sure your program includes compound lifts such as squats and deadlifts. I'd suggest Strong Lifts if you are looking for a good program (it's what I do so I might be biased).

Yes, you can use MFP calories burns.

NO, you can't use a heart rate monitor for lifting. The equations they use to relate heart rate to calories only apply when you are doing cardio.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you are doing is "heavy lifting". I would also make sure your program includes compound lifts such as squats and deadlifts. I'd suggest Strong Lifts if you are looking for a good program (it's what I do so I might be biased).

NO, you can't use a heart rate monitor for lifting. The equations they use to relate heart rate to calories only apply when you are doing cardio.

I'm glad you addressed the heart rate monitor thing.... When I lift it says I only burn about 140 cals in an hour and I thought that had to be wrong!
  • Rae6503
    Options

I'm glad you addressed the heart rate monitor thing.... When I lift it says I only burn about 140 cals in an hour and I thought that had to be wrong!

Lifting won't burn as much as cardio though. I've read that it burns about as many calories as a walk. But we don't do it to burn calories. We do it because it's awesome. :happy:
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No HRM for lifting??? I literally just ordered one specifically so I could know what I was burning when I lift. Seriously, the story of my life. =\
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Rinse & repeat.

Well yay! This is pretty close to what I'm doing both nutritionally and with the weights :) I've been adding 5 pounds to upper body and 5 pounds to lower body.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'll check into strong lifts
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Rinse & repeat.

I like this. I like it a lot.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Lifting won't burn as much as cardio though. I've read that it burns about as many calories as a walk. But we don't do it to burn calories. We do it because it's awesome. :happy:

It depends how you look at it. Unlike cardio, weight training will continue to burn calories well after your session and increased muscle mass will make your body burn more cals just to maintain.

Also I think there are specific weight-training HRMs.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I burn a little over 300 calories doing 40 minutes of lifting. But I work more than one muscle group at one time. So yes wearing a HRM is fine when lifting.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    No, HRM's are not accurate for lifting. Cals burnt is based on vo2max not HRM. So HRM's artificially increase cals burnt for lifting. Take the conservative method.

As Rae said, the benefits of heavy lifting are not primarily calories burnt. Do you're cardio on off days to create cal deficit if you wish :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    No HRM for lifting??? I literally just ordered one specifically so I could know what I was burning when I lift. Seriously, the story of my life. =\
    i wear mine during my lift sessions. maybe the formulas are correct, maybe they arent (i dont understand how it matters, a 130 heart rate is still being registered as a 130 heart rate to your body regardless if you get it by walking, skipping, jumping or lifting).

i suppose it only really matters if you're eating your exercise calories back
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    No, HRM's are not accurate for lifting. Cals burnt is based on vo2max not HRM. So HRM's artificially increase cals burnt for lifting. Take the conservative method.

As Rae said, the benefits of heavy lifting are not primarily calories burnt. Do you're cardio on off days to create cal deficit if you wish :)

So my heart monitor and my bodyfit media are usually off by less than 50 calories. I don't surpose to count my lifting calories towards my BMR? That defeats the notion of eating back your exercise calories.
  • Rae6503
    Options

Thank you! I'll check into strong lifts

I don't know if you are female, or not, but if you are: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • chrisdavey
    Options

So my heart monitor and my bodyfit media are usually off by less than 50 calories. I don't surpose to count my lifting calories towards my BMR? That defeats the notion of eating back your exercise calories.

Sorry but I can't make any sense of this.

BMR is cals burnt by you're body when you're in a coma ie. doing nothing.

See below for a VERY detailed explanation why.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

In the end, be conservative & I do recommend eating you're exercise cals back.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy enough to get about 5 reps in.
    Then your body will be like "Heya central nervous system...um...WTF?!?!? Lets stimulate some extra growth for the next time that **** happens."
    Taaddahhhh!!!!!!
    You get stronger!

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Presses
    Pulls

Oh yea!
    Eat!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    bumping :bigsmile: