Plus-sized friendly work out clothes?

Options
Today I went to a local sports store to pick up some bike shorts and a moisture wicking shirt for when I ride. It's getting warmer outside and I thought this would be a great way to prepare for the hot summer months so I'd still be wanting to bike then. However, once I got there I realized that I was a bit S.O.L. because all their clothing stopped at an xl. While I am not that much bigger (a 2x) and I was able to fit a pair of xl shorts, I wasn't able to find a shirt that fit me because of my size (I'm large chested). This made me wonder if anyone else has had this problem of not being able to find work out clothes because of their size? Does anyone know of a site or store that would carry plus sized work clothes (specifically those that help control sweating)? Feel free to message me if you do not wish to reply on the forums for one reason or another but I would really like to know if there are others out there that are going through the same problem and what they are doing to counter it. Thanks

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I've always had to go to speciality stores (Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug Plus, etc) to find workout clothes that fit me.
  • moeviegrl
    moeviegrl Posts: 52
    Options
    They carry workout clothes?? I've never seen any in those stores where I live. But I might try and see what they have on their websites. Thanks for the tip. :) I don't think it's fair that these stores promote a healthy lifestyle but don't think to cater to everyone. How are we supposed to want to work out too if you don't have anything for us to work out in? Plus, as a bigger person...I sweat alot more then other people. I really NEED that moisture wicking material. LMAO. Wish I could write a letter to someone and complain and do something about it. Just doesn't seem fair. They should atleast carry up to a 3x or 4x.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Yea, it's kind of hit and miss with LB, but FB almost always has some kind of workout clothes in store. And I know what you mean about the other places...fat people need clothes, too! LOL
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Old Navy. Affordable and nice looking workout clothes...
  • YarnAndWhiskey
    YarnAndWhiskey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually have pretty good luck with finding the larger sizes of wicking/breathable workout clothes at either Meijer or Target (I'm in Michigan so YMMV). The meijer near me even has a pretty decent selection of sports bras for light to medium impact stuff (they label it as "high impact" but it's just not so for us girls with more in the chest).
  • moeviegrl
    Options
    Amin, thank you soooo much! I looked at Old Navy's site (I didn't even know they sold plus sized clothes!!! I thought they were only for juniors! lol) and they have exactly what I am looking for! So happy now!! I'm going shopping tomorrow!! Thanks guys!
  • ChocMich
    ChocMich Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been very happy with the "Athletic Works" name brand at Walmart. They have them in plus sizes and are good prices too. The new t-shirts that I got are even better then before because they are that little bit longer so even when you stretch, they aren't showing off skin that you don't want shown.

This is at Walmart Canada, not sure if they are in the States too, or not.
  • MYLOV
    MYLOV Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Junonia.com has a lot of specialty workout clothes in larger sizes.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    For basics I check out Walmart, not sure if they have plus sized clothes that are real sporty, but their Danskin line does the job for me.
    You can also try JCPenny, their plus sizes aren't too shabby. I was surprised that when I went there, firs time in 10 years, that I got two tops and a shrug. They'll be cheaper than LB.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I know your pain. Definitely check lane Bryant but try the men's dept for active wear. I go to target, Walmart and TJ Maxx for dri fit and wicking workout clothes...not so much Walmart though lol I was in LB tonight and picked up a pair of Capri workout pants ;-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i second oldnavy as well. i'm REALLY impressed by the quality of some compression pants i bought there. i bought pricier pairs at the same time (november) thinking those would last longer than old navy's, cus let's face it old navy's quality isnt always the best. anyway those pans now have holes in the seams whereas the old navy ones are still going.

pretty damn good for $19.50.
  • cheap_thoughts
    cheap_thoughts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really like Enell. Their prices are not cheap, but they make things that FIT. I'm fairly large chested, so when I went sports clothing shopping like you did, I was disapointed to say the least. But I found a great fit with the bra I got from Enell. Make sure to measure yourself correctly though, since their sizing it a tad bit different than most places.
  • moeviegrl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help! I am totally happy to see that there are places out there that carry plus sized work out clothes. :)