After losing 42 lbs. it seems like sabotage?! Help!

Options
Since I came back from Chicago a couple weeks back (my parents live there). I have been struggling to get my act together...overall I have tried really hard, but getting back into the routine of eating less and exercise has been a struggle. Partly it is due to working extra hard to make a routine that fits both my little toddler and myself.

This last week I showed a gain of 1 pound and I told myself to get my act straight before this week's weigh in, which is Wednesday. However, it has been another week of struggle. I know I want this, but I have been sick for the last few days and maybe I haven't really allowed a cheat day without the guilt. I finally realized this today that I need to get the guilt out of my system allow a sick/cheat day and start over tomorrow. I know I can do this...have been doing it for the last 7 months...any advice or encouragement would be very appreciative...thanks MFP pals you guys/gals are the best...

Replies

• Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    You already have the tools to keep doing this and be successful. Just allow yourself to settle into your new routine and pick back up your healthy habits. Think about what motivated you before and either recommit to those goals or make new ones if that seems more appropriate. You absolutely have been done awesome and I know you can continue to do so.
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    Thank you for giving me perspective...sometimes we don't see what's in front of us...
    You already have the tools to keep doing this and be successful. Just allow yourself to settle into your new routine and pick back up your healthy habits. Think about what motivated you before and either recommit to those goals or make new ones if that seems more appropriate. You absolutely have been done awesome and I know you can continue to do so.
  • whallvr
    whallvr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!
    It is okay to give yourself a break!

And I agree with Kristy_Elizabeth give yourself some new goals just for fun!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Breathe and cut yourself some slack. What's done is done; guilt doesn't help anything.

Try writing down (yes, physically writing, not just thinking) the reasons you started this seven months ago. They probably still apply. If not, come up with some new ones. I'd also suggest writing down how you feel right now (guilt and all) and then doing it again once you're back on the wagon. Sometimes it's hard to remember those intangible feelings once we shift course.

One pound is not the end of the world, but it is a wake-up call. Reassess and reground yourself. Stop feeling guilty and start feeling in control. There's no reason you can't; like you said, you've been doing it for seven months already.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    We all hit rough patches like this--and I wish that I had a better answer for you, but at the end of the day, you just need to put your head down and power through as best you can. I had one day that I was sick last week and a half ago that kinda derailed a lot of our exercise routine--but all we could do is pick ourselves up and keep moving forward. That is the key--and a cold, hard truth, Nobody is going to hold your hand and drag you through this. Move forward. You've got a good strong pair of legs (I hope). I suggest you use them.

I don't mean to be harsh--and I am willing to be here for you as much as anyone online can be. You CAN do this, all you have to do is want it bad enough to persevere.
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    Thank you for your advice and suggestions....I have taken it to heart and going to do this right now...
    Breathe and cut yourself some slack. What's done is done; guilt doesn't help anything.

Try writing down (yes, physically writing, not just thinking) the reasons you started this seven months ago. They probably still apply. If not, come up with some new ones. I'd also suggest writing down how you feel right now (guilt and all) and then doing it again once you're back on the wagon. Sometimes it's hard to remember those intangible feelings once we shift course.

One pound is not the end of the world, but it is a wake-up call. Reassess and reground yourself. Stop feeling guilty and start feeling in control. There's no reason you can't; like you said, you've been doing it for seven months already.
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    Thank you for words as tough as they maybe it is the truth...this is my journey and I own it...I control it...meaning I can do this if I want it badly enough..
    We all hit rough patches like this--and I wish that I had a better answer for you, but at the end of the day, you just need to put your head down and power through as best you can. I had one day that I was sick last week and a half ago that kinda derailed a lot of our exercise routine--but all we could do is pick ourselves up and keep moving forward. That is the key--and a cold, hard truth, Nobody is going to hold your hand and drag you through this. Move forward. You've got a good strong pair of legs (I hope). I suggest you use them.

I don't mean to be harsh--and I am willing to be here for you as much as anyone online can be. You CAN do this, all you have to do is want it bad enough to persevere.
  • dramajudy
    Options
    I guarantee if you look at yourself in the mirror, you cannot notice that one little pound. It's so difficult, because we rely so much on the numbers on the scale to tell us that we've been succeeding, yet the proof is in how you feel. 42 lbs is nothing to laugh at here! That's a great deal of success, if you ask me. So stand in front of the mirror, and hold an old picture of yourself. If you go off the track every once in a while, it's not going to kill you. You're completely allowed! You're trying to give yourself a new way of living, using MFP, not deprive yourself. So get back on the horse and try to continue the lifestyle change that's gotten you this far!