I need a new scale!

Options
I need a new scale, not just because I don't like what it's telling me :noway: (lol!) but because I don't think it's accurate. I weigh myself at the same time of day each day, and the weight can be so different from day to day! I've moved the scale around the bathroom and weighed myself, and get different readings (in the same day). I stood on it holding weights, of course my weight jumped; then I stood on it without the weights. I weighed the same as when holding the weights.

SOOOO I think it's time to get a new scale. Any recommendations? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    The digital scales are nice. Weight Watchers makes a decent one.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Im looking for one as well...BUMP
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't have any good suggestions for a scale. All I know is that a lot of digital scales "save" the last entry so that would be why you got the same weight with and without weights.

I've found the most reliable scale to be the old school sliding scale they have in the locker room at the gym. Other than that, it doesn't really matter what is reliable, as long as you are using the same scale at the same time of each weigh in. If you see progress, that is what matters.

You weight WILL fluctuate from day to day. It is inevitable water weight.

I say give your scale a chance.
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    p.s. Reading what you do with the scale is funny because I'm the same way. Always looking for the lowest number!
  • aprileigh27
    Options
    Dont forget your weight can be different any time of the day and every day....women esp!! Their weight can fluctuate between 2-5 lbs a day. Depending on the time of the month, sodium intake and ever if you have to go to the bathroom!!! Pee before you weigh every bit helps! I went to Walmart and bought a $30.00 scale thats digital and i love it! Good luck!
  • IDCY843
    IDCY843 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

can some one please tell me what BUMP means.....thanks
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I do too!!!!! Mine keeps saying I am WAAAAAAY heavier than I am!!!!!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Try to only weigh once a week so you aren't driving yourself crazy. I was weighing every couple of days and getting frustrated.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would get a digital scale that provides at least a body fat percentage estimate. Tanita is one brand.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I haven't checked the link but the scale that I bought which started my weight loss journey of 160lbs was an Eat Smart scale. I highly recommend them. I also have the EatSmart digital food scale for portion control.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Mine told me I weighed 25 pounds after weighing my daughter lol

I didn't give it time to zero itself out before I got on after her.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale that tracks gender, hieght, bmi, weight, previous weight, body fat % and water %. I love it but it runs out of batteries ridiculously often! Every 15 weighs or even less, I have to change em :(
  • hisqtangel
    hisqtangel Posts: 32 Member
    Options

can some one please tell me what BUMP means.....thanks

if you "bump" a topic it will add it to your profile of threads you've replied to so you can find it easier when you want to go back and see what everyone added.
  • WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/390391638986?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

It isn't cheap (though I got mine for around $80, I think), but I love it and I don't often splurge on myself...and it was an impulse buy.

I do love it though!
  • marcf2001
    marcf2001 Posts: 110
    Options
    I have seen quite a few nutrionists and most of the time they recommend not to measure weight everyday as there might be small fluctuation.
    Once a week is the most general recommendation I heard.
    For the scale, I am still using an old (8 years) one that don;t measure BMI.

If I had to buy a new one I would choose a connected one like Withings or equivalent. Writing down the weight every week is tiresome after a while.
  • Jaidee1979
    Jaidee1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to buy a new bathroom scale also. Eat Smart has a very high rating on Amazon so I'm thinking of purchasing one of those.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale that tracks gender, hieght, bmi, weight, previous weight, body fat % and water %. I love it but it runs out of batteries ridiculously often! Every 15 weighs or even less, I have to change em :(

I know your weight changes from day to day, but your gender too??? :-)

If you click on the tools tab here, there is a link to FitBit, from that link you can see they are just about to release a scale. With no research, i am going to buy that one. No research because i am lazy. And this one because it has all of the bells and whistles, plus the on-line support and link to your FitBit account. Not sure it's right for everyone, but i think it should be considered.
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale that tracks gender

Wow...got to get myself one of those.
  • reden324
    reden324 Posts: 33
    Options
    -