Marathon and weightloss

Options
Hi!

I'm a runner and run from 30-45 kilometers per week. I run marathons and other runs every year and have no problem with the exercise motivation. I'm not overweight at all, but I would still like to loose a few pounds. But the problem for me when I try is that I gets dizzy and ill if I don't eat enough. I don't starve myself, not at all! I eat around 1900 cals at days, and more if I exercise. I've tried not to eat my exercise calories but I just get dizzy then.

So my question is.. How can I eat and loose the last pounds but still manage to run and exercise as much as I want too??

Take care! =)

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm a runner and run from 30-45 kilometers per week. I run marathons and other runs every year and have no problem with the exercise motivation. I'm not overweight at all, but I would still like to loose a few pounds. But the problem for me when I try is that I gets dizzy and ill if I don't eat enough. I don't starve myself, not at all! I eat around 1900 cals at days, and more if I exercise. I've tried not to eat my exercise calories but I just get dizzy then.

So my question is.. How can I eat and loose the last pounds but still manage to run and exercise as much as I want too??

Take care! =)

Try doing some weight training, if you have only a few to lose it may be that you need to increase muscle / reduce body fat to lose inches rather than actually lose weight.
    Marathon training will reduce your muscle, as long distance runners are always pretty lean, so building this back up might help.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you are logging everything that goes in, and your exercise cals correctly, and eating at 1900cals per day then I would not expect you to experience dizziness or ill effects, even with the running.

If this is the case then I think you need to visit your doctor and investigate potential medical issue such as anemia.

Best wishes
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i agree with AS - see a doctor. could be any number of things, e.g. low blood pressure.
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    I can't see your diary so not sure whether this is relevant but WHAT you're eating is just as important as how much you're eating. If you're sticking to a calorie goal but it's high in salt/fat then you'll find it harder to shift. I'm not a diet expert (by any means!) but I know that if I have 500 calories of pizza then it is a lot harder at the gym than if I have a healthy 500 cal meal with protien, veg and 'good' carbs.

Also, are you doing any interval training - rather than just run for say 5k, try doing some hill sprints (sprinting up a hill and jogging back down) or just standard intervals where you run flat out for 30 seconds and then jog recover for 1 min. If you want to switch up the running a bit try bodyrock.tv - they have short sessions (usually 12-15 mins) of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - things like burpees, squat jumps and some weighted stuff too. Really really tiring but amazing results.

As em9371 says - weights weights weights as well. I have only been concentrating on my lifting for about 2 weeks now but I reckon I can already see results. AND if you're going to start lifting TAKE MEASUREMENTS. The reasons this is important is because the scale might not move but you'll get smaller.

Sx
  • linfroet
    linfroet Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks to all you guys! Really helpful answers! =)