Swapping "Crap Frozen" for Fresh

Options
I noticed on a few people who are asking for help on not losing weight etc that a lot of people seem to have frozen, processed food instead of the fresh version - thing I notice the most is frozen crumbed (breaded) fish.

This is your approximate ingrediants for frozen, crumbed fish (Birdseye - Australian Product)

Formed black oreodory and/or smooth oreodory portions (49%), wheat flour, canola oil, water, thickener (1404), maize flour, acidity regulators (450, 451, 541, sodium bicarbonate), salt, yeast, soy flour, garlic powder, vegetable protein extract, onion powder, maltodextrin, cheese powder, egg white powder, spice extract.
Contains fish, wheat, soy, milk and egg.

Compare that to fresh:

Fish

I'll leave it to you to make up your mind which is healthier - but I urge you to take the time to prepare fresh foods rather than processed food - fresh fish takes the same amount of time to cook as this frozen mush.

Replies

• leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh fish, chicken, and fruit and then freeze it myself. Great way to buy almost expired on-sale meats and keep them until you wish to use them. Now, I agree with you that buying the pre-processed frozen stuff is not the best idea but don't discount ALL frozen foods.
  • mclarenemma
    Options
    I buy fresh fish, chicken, and fruit and then freeze it myself. Great way to buy almost expired on-sale meats and keep them until you wish to use them. Now, I agree with you that buying the pre-processed frozen stuff is not the best idea but don't discount ALL frozen foods.

Frozen veg and fruit is a great way to have quick meals - I often have a bag of steam frozen veg and tuna and rice for lunch.

Buying meat in bulk is a great way, and so much cheaper, to shop - plus you always have something on hand.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen food but I buy JUST the food. For example, frozen fruit (unsweetened), frozen Cod, Salmon etc, frozen veggies (sometimes) and some frozen meals.

I literally have to buy frozen because we cant grocery shop more than biweekly. England small town + no car = can only get deliveries.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I didn't get that they was saying ALL frozen food. They were taking about processed frozen foods.

I completely agree with the OP
  • mclarenemma
    Options
    I am pedantic about my fish - I ONLY eat fish from Australia or New Zealand and I NEVER buy it from a supermarket. If you can buy a whole fish, have the people cut the head off and fillet it for you and give you the spine, you can slice it into single serve sizes and use the bones for stock - I am far too aware of where a lot of fish comes from that is sold in this country and how old it is when it gets here.

I more than understand people can't always buy it fresh (99% of the time I only buy fish from a place 4 hours drive away when we go down there every couple of months and then freeze it) but making the effort is worth it if you can.

After too many health issues, I feel it is important to know what is in our food, how old it is, where it comes from and supporting local producers by buying direct (at least you know the fruit isn't 2 seasons old and hasn't been cold stored to make it last longer)
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I won't touch breaded, frozen fish. We get fresh salmon and tilapia filets and freeze them ourselves if we need to. That way I can eat mine lightly seasoned and my husband can coat his in sauces.:tongue:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of "frozen crap" out there. NOT all frozen fish is crap though. I do buy frozen FISH ..... but not fish "sticks".

A lot of fish is frozen ...... literally on the boat .... while it's still at sea. Fish filets you buy in the store case are often not at "fresh" as the stuff you buy frozen.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I would have agreed more if she had compared 'crap frozen' to just plain old 'frozen' rather than to fresh. It seems like comparing apples to store-bought apple crumble to me - we can assume that the unprocessed food will be healthier than the processed. There is fish that is frozen but not breaded, and you can coat or batter fresh fish and have it come out with a similar amount of additives and preservatives, depending on the products used. Seems a bit of a stretch in my opinion...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is that breaded fish has breading on it, and plain fish doesn't? Freezing something doesn't add ingredients.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    True point! Just want to add my one thing in general about frozen foods. My frozen fishes (just filets without breading or additives) is actually great for me, because it's much cheaper and since I only live on my own it prevents me from eating too big portions.

Frozen vegetables are pretty alright, too..

Well.. no, I agree, fresh is better, healthy wise and tasty wise.. but sometimes if you buy the right frozen products it can be better for other reasons.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    One thing to bear in mind with frozen fruits and vegetables - they do retain nearly all of their nutrients, but the best way to augment your natural digestive enzymes is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Freezing destroys the enzymes. It's a little thing, but surprising what a difference it makes.