question about the 30 day shred/strength training

Options
So, here's my dilemma...I don't have a lot of time for all the exercises I want to do and I love the circuit training (strength training) in the 30 day shred video but I also love working on my treadmill. I really only have time for 1 cardio (and right now my body can only handle 1 main cardio workout at the moment) right now. I get up fairly early as it is in the morning to get my day started (I start work at 7am) and i go to bed fairly early so my main work out cario is done around 1pm but i like to do strength training in the morning...so I've taken parts from the video for core and upper body strengthening. Will only doing part of the video be effective to strengthen my upper boy and stomach area? This is the circuit I've been doing all week...

1 rep - push-ups
1 rep - cross stomach crunches on each side(like in the video)
1 rep- arm lifts over chest with weights while laying on back
1 rep- reverse sit ups
1 rep -push-ups
1 rep- leg kicks or backwards leg lifts
1 rep - cross stomach crunches
1 rep - push ups
1 rep - reverse sit ups
1 rep - arm lifts over chest with weights while on back
1 rep- push ups

So i do that in the morning and then in the afternoon i do 30-40 minute interval training. So, will the strength training that I'm doing be effective without the cardio like the video?

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Also, can I count this as calisthenics training in my exercise cardio catergory or would it go under strength and not get counted for calories?
  • vanderlaanb
    Options
    Yes I would also like to know what 30 day shed should be under excercise so I can count it as calories for excercise? Thanks!
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do mine under strenght training and just put for how long!
  • KimberlyWIOG
    Options
    I counted the 30 Day Shred as circuit training on MFP. OR I just used the calories on my heart rate monitor.. normally I burned at least 300 - 400 calories.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM when doing the shred as it's the only way you can accurately reckon calorie burn. My changes from day to day despite doing the same exercises one the same level!
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just started 30DS and asked friends what to log it under. I was told to log it in Cardio under "Circuit Training". There is a group on here also that is all about the 30 Day Shred. I have found lots of helpful info and friends there.

:smile:
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM doing 30 day shred and log it as cardio so I can track my calories. It doesn't come out to the same calories each time, but close. I adjust the minutes to reflect the most accurate calories my HRM shows I burned.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    this but i also just put it in as MY exercise and use my HRM so i know how many calories.
    I counted the 30 Day Shred as circuit training on MFP. OR I just used the calories on my heart rate monitor.. normally I burned at least 300 - 400 calories.
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    If I were actually doing the whole video, I would be marking it as curuit training BUT, I'm only using the strength training part and not with the video. I just took parts from the video and added a few more in there for a total of about 15 minutes of good strength training and then i'll do my cardio later in the day. I guess i can mark it under calisthenics for calorie count until I get my HRM.
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Hmm, maybe i'm not wording this right. i don't seem to be getting the answers i'm looking for. What i want to know is will the strength training part of the 30 day shred along with some added strength training and do my cardio later in the day give me the same/some good results? Can i mark the strength training that I do as calisthenics in the cardio area for counting calories or just in the strength training area? This is the strength training curcuit i've been doing for the past week:

1 rep - push-ups
    1 rep - cross stomach crunches on each side(like in the video)
    1 rep- arm lifts over chest with weights while laying on back
    1 rep- reverse sit ups
    1 rep -push-ups
    1 rep- leg kicks or backwards leg lifts
    1 rep - cross stomach crunches
    1 rep - push ups
    1 rep - leg kicks or backwards leg lifts
    1 rep - reverse sit ups
    1 rep - arm lifts over chest with weights while on back
    1 rep- push ups

Then later in the day i do 30 minute interval training on the teadmill.