What are you eating for lunch today?

Options
I've been bringing Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones to the office for lunches. While they are low on calories and somewhat cost efficent, they are super high in sodium. I go over on sodium almost every day.

Looking for some non-sandwich, easy lunch ideas that are low on sodium.

I say non-sandwich because I'm so bored with the sandwich ideas. And it has to be easy. I know I need to spend more time prepping my food. I'm pretty good about making healthy dinners at home but I find it difficult to create something for lunch in the morning (I'm not a morning person) and if I make it the night before then it has to keep well and/or travel easily. Please help!

Replies

• snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I make up marinated salads on sunday and prepackage them for the week. This week it is a Chicken, Quinoa & Garbanzo bean salad, with Grape tomatoes, fat free feta, kalamata olives, Baby cucumbers, olive oil and balasmic vinegar and seasonings. A two cup portion ends up being 264 calories, 22 carbs, 9 fat, 24 prot, 3 fiber, 450 gr sodium. Half of the salt comes right from the olives apparently, might have to shop around for a lower sodium version.

Oh if you decided to make your own recipes with raw chicken breasts/tenderloins, check the nutrition label. Alot of brands inject broth (ie liquid sodium) into the meat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Today is leftover roasted brussel sprouts and carrots with shredded cheddar cheese.

ETA: if you want easy lunches and and are already preparing healthy dinners, there is nothing easier than leftovers

Some other non-sandwich suggestions: veggie sticks and peanut butter or hummus; cottage cheese and fruit or tomatoes on a bed of chopped greens, green salad with protein (chicken, tuna, tofu, beans), marinated bean and/or grain salads, tabouleh (this is great made with quinoa instead of bulgar)
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    Instead of sandwiches I do wraps with grilled spicy chicken with veggies, humus, sun dried tomatoes, etc. Salads with the same grilled spicy chicken or a salsa salad with taco meat.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had a BBC GoodFood two bean, potato & tuna salad with dressing made from harissa, red wine vinegar and olive oil today.

211 calories and delicious
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I brought a whole grain wrap with spinach... and an egg/egg whites with hot sauce that ill toss in the microave and make a wrap!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Sweet chilli houmous, wholemeal pitta bread, raw carrot. It was 332 calories of deliciousness.
  • ashley516
    ashley516 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am having an everything bagel with tuna, mayo, tomato and pepper with a glass of milk.

Quite possibly my favourite lunch ever.
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Edamame salad with a tortilla and hummus, all homemade, but you could find all of these things in the deli section of a grocer too.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm having a MorningStar Farms Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers (patty only) with a 100-cal pack of Wholly Guacamole, a side salad consisting of spinach, cucumber, boiled egg white, a few bacon bits and yogurt ranch dressing. About 380 calories. 24.5g fat (higher than my norm, but it works with the rest of my day), 23g protein and 25g carbs.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Today I have planned a Special K protein bar and special K cracker chips. Needed quick and easy since I will be eating inbetween errands today!! :happy:
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I had left over mashed poatoes (Chive mashed from eatingwell.com), and one peice of schnitzle. :)
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Progresso lentil soup. I have a desk drawer full of Progresso and Campbell's Chunky soups, plus oranges, tea, and oatmeal for consumption at my desk. It keeps me away from the donuts--mostly :)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I know you said no sandwich but I had half a PB&J, 1 can of cambells chunky vegetable soup (a ittle high in salt), and a sugar free pudding. An option that I like is to make my tuna fish concoction and put it on maybe a tortilla or healthy crackers. Take 1/2c of beans, any will do, 2T of Hummus, again any will do, 2-3oz canned tuna or salmon, mustard and hot sauce to taste. It should run 200-250 calories plus the serving vessel.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Had a Caesar Salad from Burger King. Was really good
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I make marinated salads also on Sunday and bring them throughout the week. This week is kidney beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, peas, little bit of corn, celery, carrot, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, sprinkle of feta cheese, sliced olives, mixed with red wine vinegar, olive oil, and splash of lemon juice.
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Homemade lentil carrot soup, mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes, half an avacado and Greek dressing. Will have a banana later.:smile:
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    left over Roasted pork loin
    left over spinach
    and a kick-*kitten* salad.

Diary is open.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tuna & a small avacado w/ sea salt
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Haven't had time to make lunches ahead lately. Today was a pack of Tasty Bite "Jodhpur Lentils" and some pita bread. Seriously tasty.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This was my lunch today! Completely awesome!

food006.jpg

Edit: resized picture