Low Testosterone

Options
Hey i just got my lab results back from my annual exam with my primary care physician and it turns out i have a low testosterone level. i have not had the opportunity to discuss the findings with her yet and will not be able to for a week and a half. Her office staff did mention that it was low enough for her to want to start treatment with a patch. i am 32 male and in the best shape of my life. i have great workouts and plenty of energy during exercise. i have cut down to about 9-10% body fat. i guess my question is has anyone else experienced low testosterone levels as a result of their diet? and does anyone have any experience with testosterone busting supplements that are SAFE to take? i am hoping that it is diet related and not a more serious problem. thanks in advance any input will be appreciated.

Replies

• tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    There seems to be a consensus that all the legal test boosters on the market is crap. I would suggest sticking with your doc and have her do treatment for you, rather than waste your money on stuff that will probably only work in your head.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    What time of day did you get tested? Testosterone can vary depending on time of day, month-to-month, even with exercise levels. The recommended time to get your testosterone tested is in the morning between 8 AM to 10 AM. That's when it's the highest in men. I wouldn't rush into supplements based on one reading.
  • johnjohngarcia
    johnjohngarcia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would never start a supplement without first consulting my doctor. Her and I have a very good doctor patient relationship. I trust her to the core. I was just wondering if anyone had any info that maybe I can arm myself with prior to my appointment. Plush I will not alter anything until I see her as to not squew any future readings. My blood draw was done at 9am post run.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    They will probably ask for another blood test to confirm. Also, CT scan on pirtuatary gland.

Are you feeling tired or run down? Was it just a scheduled blood test?
  • johnjohngarcia
    Options
    Yes it was just a rutine draw. I wanted to get my yearly physical out of the way and also make sure all my systems were in check with my recent weight loss.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    How was the testosterone labeled on your lab results? And what is considered "low" and "normal"? I have my old blood test around somewhere
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Go with the HRT and log your progress.
  • johnjohngarcia
    Options
    The killer part is that I did not get to see the lab or the reference range because they called with the results so that I could have the choice of starting therapy prior to our meeting next Monday. I will do the therapy and update with results if anyone is interested. Odd thing is I feel better then I have since I was 16. And I am very lean. I could only imagine how much better I would feel if it were at a healthy level. Of course once you start reading online you start feeling the side effects. Man ignorance is bliss.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I obviously don't have that problem but my husband does (did???) - he did the patch for awhile to bring his levels up - now he uses Androgel? Rubs it on once a day to I guess maintain his levels...

He was really tired and run down a lot which is why he went to his Dr. in the first place...and was diagnosed with low testosterone...
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts! Like peanuts.....that boosts testosterone, also monounsaturated in general.

^ Ironic, isn't it?
  • bluekat61
    bluekat61 Posts: 24
    Options
    My husband also has low testosterone. He has been using a patch and has used the gel. He and I both wonder for how long and what's in it and isn't there a better (natural) way to increase it. We have been reading up on foods that help increase testosterone. I am very interested to hear what others know and have experienced about this. From what I've read so far pumpkin seeds, nuts, eggs, vitamin A foods, salmon, red meat, oysters, are some of the ways to try to boost testosterone.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I noticed you have little kids in your profile pic. You dont want kids around andro gel or even watch out for the patch. Problem is the kids have gotten it on them and have started going through puberty early.(google this for more info) You might want to opt for the shots instead. Oh the REAL supplements or pro hormones that have boosted testosterone GW bush banned the last of em in 2006. Also you wouldnt want to play with your own hormone levels with out a DR. monitoring your blood work. There can be estrogenic side effects that can cause problems such as gyno or bltch tits and such. Stick with your DR. for T.R.T. and prepare for a major libido boost. I hope for your sake your lady has a high libido or your S.O.L. :bigsmile:
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just started test therapy a month ago. I inject myself weekly and take a pill twice a week to prevent excess T from converting to estrogen. It definitely boosted my energy levels.

If you have symptoms that need addressing and can't be fixed by lifestyle, you'll be glad you started it.

But If you feel great, have good energy levels, and libido is OK, I'd probably have a serious discussion and thought before starting therapy.

Once you start T therapy, it's basically going to continue until you die.

There are lots of testosterone forums online. Try T nation forums.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    How much processed foods do you eat? Asking because most boxed, packaged and frozen foods contain Soy which is known to lower testosterone levels in men.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Hey i just got my lab results back from my annual exam with my primary care physician and it turns out i have a low testosterone level. i have not had the opportunity to discuss the findings with her yet and will not be able to for a week and a half. Her office staff did mention that it was low enough for her to want to start treatment with a patch. i am 32 male and in the best shape of my life. i have great workouts and plenty of energy during exercise. i have cut down to about 9-10% body fat. i guess my question is has anyone else experienced low testosterone levels as a result of their diet? and does anyone have any experience with testosterone busting supplements that are SAFE to take? i am hoping that it is diet related and not a more serious problem. thanks in advance any input will be appreciated.

Honestly... the only 'life style' change that I know of to fix low testosterone levels is to lose weight- and you've done that. Personally, I would trust your doctor on this. The testosterone patches are really pretty good.

'Supplements' are unlikely to work in this case. Even if you could find something that works, the effect is likely very modest and if you're low enough that your doctor wants to supplement... they're not going to bring you out of the low zone.

In in case you are not aware, there are some pretty serious 'dangers' of being low in testosterone. Most people know about the effects on libido and muscle mass, but low testosterone has also been linked to Alzheimer's disease. It's not a guarantee that you'll get it, but low testosterone is a risk factor. You can also add osteoporosis to your list of low testosterone linked disorders.

There are disadvantages of taking testosterone (via patch, injection, or w/ andro gel) and you should discuss that with your doctor. Testosterone can increase the risks of prostate cancer and stroke. Talk to that doctor of yours :)

Good luck!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    How much processed foods do you eat? Asking because most boxed, packaged and frozen foods contain Soy which is known to lower testosterone levels in men.

Are you sure about this? Soy has phytoestrogens in it... so I could see an effect on estrogen, but why testosterone?
  • jstrohs1
    jstrohs1 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm going to be 58 this June and one year ago after feeling tired with no energy at all I had a complete exam with blood work on all.
    Everything was great except my Testosterone level which was 248 (the range was 241-827).. My weight then was 212 which he did tell me it will help to lose some weight (I'm 5'9') . My weight now is 173. Last year he also had me do a bone scan due to my low reading to see if I loss any and sure enough I did. My level did go up a little after taking some herbs from a vitamin store but not much. I really don't want to get into taking the testosterone stuff unless I absolutely had to. Going next week to get another exam to see how it is now!!

BTW...When you see the tv commercials on the Testosterone drugs....the side effects sounds real bad!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Are you sure about this? Soy has phytoestrogens in it... so I could see an effect on estrogen, but why testosterone?

Positive. When my husband and I were doing IVF treatments, he told us NO SOY.

Soy raises estrogen and decreases testosterone in males. So, it directly messes up the hormonal balance.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts! Like peanuts.....that boosts testosterone

Peanuts aren't nuts. They're legumes. :P