Sources of good fat?

Options
Hi! I am on a 1200 calorie diet and consistently find myself not getting enough fat in my diet. I eat a snack of peanuts a few times per week and am looking for more ideas on how to incorporate good fats. Any ideas?

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• MNHoliday
    MNHoliday Posts: 20
    Options
    Peanuts, out.

Go with:
    Almonds
    Walnuts
    Avocado
    Coconut oil/milk
    Olive oil
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    2 tsps. of olive oil any way you want them. I add a tsp. to my eggs in the morning or on my chicken for dinner. I sometimes sprinkle it on popcorn.

Avocados in salad.

I dip apples in almond butter.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    peanut butter 24/7 but too high cal
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Peanut butter, almonds, olive oil.

Simply Jif creamy peanut butter is fantastic. I eat 1 Tbsp. on rice cakes.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    that plus fatty fish like salmon, maquerel, even canned sardines are good
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    In addition to nuts, I get fat from eggs and dairy (unless you're a vegan). I drink whole milk and eat full-fat yogurt. I find them more filling and, as vitamin D is fat soluble, a great source of vitamins and nutrients.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Salmon <--- This is where the fuggin money is at. If you like sashimi, go to town on these fishies.
    Tuna
    Almonds or Almond Butter
    Chia Seeds/Powder
    Avocado
    Olive Oil
    Hemp Hearts/Powder
    Flax Seeds/Powder

Also, eggs, specifically ones from a local farm where the chickens are allowed to run around and eat bugs and whatever the *kitten* else chickens eat when not kept in lame cages.

The reason why is those eggs will have a metric *kitten* ton of Omega 3 fatty acids. You also get a ton of protein, and micronutrients such as choline which people are typically deficient in.

Never eat eggs raw, that is for morons.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    AVACADOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These used to be a "treat" food to me until I leaned they weren't AS high in calories as I thought and super good for you.

Eat them. Theyre effing delicious.
  • chris1816
    Options
    AVACADOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These used to be a "treat" food to me until I leaned they weren't AS high in calories as I thought and super good for you.

Eat them. Theyre effing delicious.

Yeah, and they are actually one of the highest sources of fiber of all vegetables. You will get almost 40% of your DV from an avocado.

*kitten* yeah pooping.
  • AdobeTree
    AdobeTree Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love avocados! I'm been avoiding olive oil because I assumed it was the best of all the unhealthy oils. I won't hesitate to use it now (in moderation of course).

Are almonds lower in calories than peanuts? I've also been struggling with being hungry because the food I have been choosing are a little too high in calories.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Can you define what a good fat is and what a bad fat is?
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Can you define what a good fat is and what a bad fat is?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/skinny-fat-good-fats-bad-fats
  • chris1816
    Options
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Saturated fats are bad? Huh. Based on what? The shoddy epidemiological studies? A recent meta-analysis has dismissed that saturated fats are bad. That entire article is bunk.
  • chris1816
    Options

Saturated fats are bad? Huh. Based on what? The shoddy epidemiological studies? A recent meta-analysis has dismissed that saturated fats are bad. That entire article is bunk.

Nope, saturated fats are okay. Just don't want to have many. They don't benefit you much. However, a diet high in saturated fats and critically low in unsaturated is plain and simple unhealthy

A good mix of mono and poly unsaturated fats is better.

Just look at the food items they come from:

Saturated: Butter, Lard

Unsatured: Almonds, Avocado, Salmon

Your brain and cell membranes among other things is mostly composed of fats, the nature of these fats as you intake them and give them for your body to break down is critically important.
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    as far as nut butters go, i would recommend you get natural butters, with one or two ingredients (peanuts/almond/cashews/whathaveyou, and salt if you prefer). if you don't have to stir the water back in when you open it, you got the wrong thing.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Agree with this - Saturated fats aren't bad fats...

the whole thing with fats is they are more calorie dense so if you overeat on fats you can up your calories..

i.e. overeating tomatoes may have you add an extra 30 calories but overeating on Avacados may have you add an extra 100 calories...both are good choices you just have to me more serving size cautious of foods that are higher in fats...

I routinely have in my diet

Avocados (if you can find it Wholly Guacamole makes 100 calories snack packs...so easy to open one and eat with a handful of baby carrots or red pepper strips and contain your serving size)
    Coconut Oil - VIRGIN not refined
    Olive Oil - Virgin 1st pressed
    Almonds, Pecans
    Bacon drippings
    KerryGold butter

i steer clear of vegetable oils...soybean, corn, canola, peanut

I actually lowered my cholesterol and upped my HDL
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    as far as nut butters go, i would recommend you get natural butters, with one or two ingredients (peanuts/almond/cashews/whathaveyou, and salt if you prefer). if you don't have to stir the water back in when you open it, you got the wrong thing.

If you have a Whole Foods near you - you can get fresh ground Almond butter - it is awesome...and the price is right in line with the good quality jarred Almond butter - only 100X's fresher since you grind it right when you buy it
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love avocados! I'm been avoiding olive oil because I assumed it was the best of all the unhealthy oils. I won't hesitate to use it now (in moderation of course).

Are almonds lower in calories than peanuts? I've also been struggling with being hungry because the food I have been choosing are a little too high in calories.

If you haven' t been getting enough fats throughout the day that would explain being hungry too ... good healthy fats with every meal/snack will help keep you full. P.S. my nutritionist says butter and other saturated fats are healthy - although as someone else said portion control is important with fats because they are high in calories