Rowing

Options
So, I tried Zumba for the first time since the 13th. I stopped for a week cuz I was having swollen knees only to find out that I have Osteoarthristis in them. My knees were NOT happy. I even tried a lower impact of what I was doing. So after a little research to see what kind of low impact cardio I could do I have decided to give Rowing a shot. Does anyone use a Rowing Machine at their gym? If so, can you give me some suggestions on how long I should do it or anything? I watched a video on proper form and I think I can handle it just don't know what kind of routine I need do. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Replies

• NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    bump

I saw my doc last week and he suggested rowing for me. He's young...and attractive...and he rows. We have a lot of rowing teams in OKC believe it or not.
    I just imagine my arms bulking up to look like a man!

Maybe I should look into it tho...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a Concept2 rowing machine at home and pretty much just row for a half hour or so a couple of times a week as a cross training activity. Here's a link to their resources page with a variety of workouts

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/resources.asp

hope this helps & happy rowing!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do rowing sometimes, for variety. I try to do 30 minutes, moderate intensity. It's a good all over workout.
  • mandiemma
    mandiemma Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you consult a trainer or someone qualified to teach you the proper form etc as they are the ones who know best :-)

However, I do what my trainer told me to do and it works for me but may not work for you... Personally I row 200 meters as fast as I can then take a 30 second break then do it again until I can't go anymore... LOVE IT...
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will look into that Brian. Nicole I don't think you would have to worry about BULKING up. You would have to do some serious workouts with heavy weights ALL the time to look like a man. We just aren't built to look like that.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Thanks Mandi. I'll ask my trainer today about it. It just dawned on me this morning to research different low impact cardio workouts to see what would work well with my knees.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in rowing but not sure I could fit a rowing machine in my home and I don't have gym membership. I did see that one of the Wii fit games has rowing and you can get the rowing dohicky for it. Has anyone tried it? I'd be interested in hearing opinions.
  • aagnew01
    aagnew01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will row sometimes to warm up before I lift weights. It breaks up the monotony of my typical elliptical workout. Its great for your arms, legs, and core. I had a trainer at one point and she also had me do this exercise as warm up going as hard as I could. Good luck!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Rowing is a great workout- I row a total of about 2 hours every week and it has really helped me as I work to build up my back. Any personal trainer at your gym should be able to assist you with getting the proper form- start of with 10 minutes and build from there. Best of luck and hope that knee feels better soon!
  • caitieck
    caitieck Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Using a rowing machine (or erg) is called erging and it is GREAT exercise. You absolutely do not have to worry about bulking up on it and you will be surprised to learn that, if done correctly, this exercise is basically entirely legs and core. Your arms do very little of the work. Just make sure you have someone to teach you to do it correctly because you can really hurt yourself on those things! I was on my college crew team and was in the best shape of my life during that time.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    I have become addicted to the Concept2 rower. I row every morning for 60 or 90 minutes. I vary the intensity of the workouts (hard/easy) every other day. I feel great during and after the workout. My calorie burn is close to 800 for the hour workout (relatively "easy"). Today I went 90 minutes relatively hard and the calorie burn was 1740. Obviously, you get a good workout, no impact, a lot of fun numbers to play with on the digital readout, etc.
    I heartily recommend rowing for anyone interested in getting in shape and for muscle toning.
    I agree with the proper form suggestions. However, one of the trainers at the club where I work out had no idea how to row, so make sure you connect with someone with experience. The Concept2 website is a great resource.
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread! I've been needing to start some "more upper than lower" workouts (that does not involve weights) and this just made my list! Good luck to you, Tonya! :)
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool, like maybe at a Y or something? Maybe you could do some water aerobics or swimming too. I personally love variety and wouldn't mind trying the rowing, but just doing one activity would turn me off quickly. Are you able to walk some too for exercise?
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I have a rowing machine at home. I sucked massively when we first got it. I could only do about 20 minutes on the lowest resistance at first but then I worked my way up. Just do what you can at first and then build from there. It is such a good workout! That being said, I haven't been on mine in weeks! :laugh:

Once you get really good, or maybe you're already superbuff, you could do interval workouts, like 30 seconds on high resistance, 15-30 seconds on low and repeat for 20-ish minutes. That would be fun.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was a rower in high school and college. The biggest thing is to make sure you have good technique. I used to coach high school freshman and how I would explain it to them is: pretend you are wearing a really tight pencil skirt and while standing there you drop your pen. How you pick it up is how you should row. Arms out first then you squat down, after you pick the pencil up you bring your arms back in and stand up. Your hands should never run into your knees.

There are plenty of different types of training programs online that can help you determine a plan.

Most of your power comes from your legs, back, shoulders, and abs. If you are sore anywhere else you might want to check your technique.

Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    start on the lowest resistance. i always see people at my gym that have it crancked up to 10 because they don't know better. it is a very tough work out. i rowed crew in college, and i never worked out with it higher then 6.

it is not like rowing a boat. there are no circular motions going over your knees. push with your legs and at the end of the push (don't lock your knees) rock your body back just a little, and pull that handle straight into your chest. allow your arms to extend while keeping them up and rock your body forward just a little, and then bring your legs into your chest.

the rocking of your lower back is only very slight. no big motions. look up some work outs, but you'll probably be lookingg to row for 500 meters, or 800,or 1000.

letting you know, rowing for 7-12 minutes kills me. i need to do it more though.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will look into that Brian. Nicole I don't think you would have to worry about BULKING up. You would have to do some serious workouts with heavy weights ALL the time to look like a man. We just aren't built to look like that.

That is correct!!!!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    great, great exercise. I will row 500 or 1000 meters, then run 1/4 mile, then row again...or row/push-ups, row/push-ups....google row WOD and youtube videos will help.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool, like maybe at a Y or something? Maybe you could do some water aerobics or swimming too. I personally love variety and wouldn't mind trying the rowing, but just doing one activity would turn me off quickly. Are you able to walk some too for exercise?

Our gym's pool will be opening soon. Unfortunately it's on outside gym so it's not always open. They mentioned starting a water zumba class in a couple of weeks that I'm interested in. Once the pool opens I will be taking advantage of it as well. Thank you all for you helpful suggestions. I'm kinda excited to start this new workout.
  • caitieck
    caitieck Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Another great way to use an erg is put on your ipod and do a 10K row. Don't worry about how fast you go, just worry about maintaining your pace. I try to stay between 1:50 and 2:00 500m when I do a 10K. You'll be on your *kitten* at the end of it but it feels great!