motivation for working out when you really dont want to

Options
I found this blog entry online! just wanted to share! I hope it grabs you like it grabbed me

Motivation to work out when you REALLY don't want to

Hi guys. My post today is a response to one of you ("rnemani") who, in the comments section yesterday, said she's having a hard time getting back into her gym routine and wanted to know how I do it.

Disclaimer: Sometimes there's just nothing in the world that'll get my booty out of bed in the morning. But most days, working out is something I look forward to (I can't believe I'm saying that!). Here are the things I've learned that keep me on my game. Hope this helps, rnemani!

1.) "No one ever climbed a hill just by looking it."
I know, I know--losing weight (even 5 pounds) can seem impossible. Trust me, I had so much weight I wanted to lose that I didn't know WHERE to begin. So how did I start? I JUST DID. I said to myself, "Margarita, You're at the bottom of the hill; now start climbing!" And once I started to see signs (even if only I could see them) that I was making progress, I started to find the motivation to keep pushing myself farther.

2.) Figure out what you enjoy.
If you hate Pilates or can't stand to run, why do it? Chances are, if you dread it, you aren't going to stick with it. But let's be clear: "enjoy" doesn't mean "this is easy." Just because I love Spin classes and yoga doesn't mean I'm throwing myself a Party for One while doing either of them. They kick my *kitten*. But there are elements of each (the music, the ability to zone out completely on a bike and zone in completely on a yoga mat) that appeal to me. The point is, find an activity you can like SOMETHING about (again: doesn't have to be something you like everything about)! If you love being outside, walk everywhere, go hiking, play tennis. If you like the idea of socializing while you work out, take a dance class at the gym. And if you think all types of workouts are evil, pick the lesser of all evils and just go with it.

3.) Start small.
If you haven't worked out in a while--or ever--don't tell yourself you need to work out for two hours a day to make progress. Start with 20 minutes, then a half hour, then so on. I've found it's more important to be consistent (5 days a week is my minimum) then to go really, really hard for 3 days in a row and then take 3 weeks off.

4.) Don't think of exercise as punishment.
Instead of thinking about working out as something I dread, I replaced it with this thought: "Margarita, you're worth the hard work"--and that usually gets me off the couch. Of course I'm not perfect, and sometimes my inner gremlin gets the best of me. In fact, I had to catch myself this morning during training. We were doing some crazy reverse lunges while holding two Kettlebells over my head and by the second set I wanted to DIE. I turned to Lacey and said, "What did I do to deserve this?" And as soon as the words left my mouth, I flipped them completely and thought to myself, "Of course I deserve this. I deserve this body and life I am creating for myself. I deserve to feel good about my body." I kept telling myself that and--no joke--it was the thing getting me through the third set.

5.) Don't beat yourself up.
Sometimes (like on Saturday, when I woke up at 2:17pm for the first time since, well, college... after being out the night before) I DON'T get off the couch. My body was legitimately exhausted and needed a break, so I didn't hate myself for it. I took the day off and got back to the gym on Sunday.

6.) Do it the way you bathe.
Even if you're "crazy-busy" (I get it, trust me!), if getting in shape is a priority for you, you'll make the time to exercise the way you make the time to shower. In other words, even if your workout is the equivalent of a body rinse (meaning, not a full-body, over-the-top workout) the important thing is that you just GET IN THE SHOWER, right? Something is better than nothing--just do it religiously! Do it the way you bathe!

Can any of you relate? What helps YOU guys stick with a regular fitness routine when working out is the last thing you want to do?

by Margarita BertsosPrintE-MailFeeds

Read More http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/shape-up/2008/09/motivation-to-work-out-when-yo.html#ixzz1aHxoLcbH

Replies

• PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks for sharing :)
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for sharing!

I too, just started looking forward to at least walking on the treadmill. I can zone out and either, read on my iPhone, listen to music, or just think... or not think at all! :) ahah.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    thanks! love it! :D
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Very helpful!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    great post! Reading this makes me want to go work out!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My motivation for working out and eating right are in my profile pic!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    BUMP

"I deserve this"
  • LizzBetty
    LizzBetty Posts: 11
    Options
    that's a good thought, do it the way I bathe. I will think about this all day.
    223730 Posts: 55
    Options
    good thoughts!