How much do you spend on breakfast?

Options
I make shakes in the morning and have recently found that im not having as much time in the morning as i would like to make it.

I've started buying the watermelon wiggle jugo juice every morning and spend about 5.98.

Now for me i have no issue spending that much on it since:

a. its healthy
b. it fills me up
c. its replacing my daily coffee purchase

When i told this to a co-worker she told me i was nuts for wanting and being ok with spending close to 120$ every month on JUST my breakfast.

How much does everyone else spend usually on breakfast?

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have instant oatmeal say $0.50 at most, splash of milk, waaay less, a banana say $0.25 and tea which again is next to nothing, but let's say total $1.00.

Now, if you want and can afford to spend what you're spending, go for it. But if you're budget needs tweaking, then maybe eat something else for breakfast.
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    Probably less than a dollar. I usually have a fluffernutter or a protein shake and a piece of fruit.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The company I work for stocks the kitchen with food for us, so Mon-Fri I don't spend anything (yazoo!) I stick to a banana or a yogurt, so if I had to pay for it...it would be less than $1 a day :smile:

My $$$ goes to dinner usually...still working on not eating out so much :noway:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    About a dollar. Usually 2 eggs with spinah and mushrooms and a slice of toast.
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am not sure... maybe a dollar? I usually have an egg and fruit.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    No more than $1-$2.

I commonly have a protein shake ( .48 per scoop) w/ fruit (.40). However....

Today's Cost: $1.00. I had a Kefir smoothie with frozen fruit.. (1 cup Kefir=.50, 1 cup frozen fruit= .50)

Yesterday: $1.38. I had plain greek yogurt with strawberry preserves and strawberries. (greek yogurt= 1.19, 1 tbs preserves=.09, strawberries=.10)

Great post, you've helped me to really break out the costs of my groceries by serving size.. something I've never done! This could mean new budgeting/saving for me... :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I order ingredients on-line & pay shipping (no store in my area) ..... Coach's instant steel cut oats & PB2! Still less than a $1.00

Sometimes it's greek yogurt & dry cereal .... $2.00 maybe
  • katheharwood
    katheharwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    great question. :)
    My husband and I will have a variety of things, depending on time and preference (all quick to prepare and averaging $3.00 or less):

1. fruit/veggie/protein smoothie with coffee and/or granola/protein/energy bar or
    2. eggs, bacon, toast or
    3. steelcut oatmeal with fruit and nuts or

When really short on time, we grab coffee and a breakfast bar of some sort, still for less than $3.00/serving.

Your jugo juice dosen't sound bad and if you can afford it everyday then that's cool, but doing it for so long may cause you to tire of it or get burned out on it...adding variety and real nutrition to your meals, especially breakfast is fun and refreshing.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    $3.00 on a big glass of shakeology.. and only 160 calories.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My breakfast usually costs 1$-1.25$. I could never imagine spending that much just on breakfast... =\
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I don't even spend that much on my dinners!! I'd say I spend between $1 & $3 on breakfast (I make everything from scratch, & my freezer is full of whole grain pancakes, waffles, & muffins for when I don't have the time)
  • whatiseenow
    whatiseenow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have no time in the morning (probably because I hit snooze until the last possible moment) so if I have the foresight, I make muffins or quiches on Sunday for the week. They're cheap and healthy. I can't afford to spend $5 a day, but it's your money and if it's in the budget, all the power to you!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    i usually make up a quiche or breakfast muffins on the weekend to have grab and go convinence for the mornings I would say for me to make 6 servings it comes to about $1.50/serving....

This week my go to breakfast is 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 turkey sausage patties and some sort of fruit or veggie (yesterday it was a tomato, today was a cup of strawberries) - calculated out comes to about $2 a meal...
  • Penbutts
    Penbutts Posts: 4
    Options
    I drink my Shakeology every morning. it is only $3.00 but worth every penny when you consider that it is equal to 5 trips to the salad bar and only 160 calories. YUM!
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    very little, i just eat noodle soups -_-

yes, very sad nutritionwise :(
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I eat the expensive greek yogurt (Fage or Voskos) when it's on sale... so 1$ for yogurt... probably 50cents for my fruit (usually pineapple, strawberries, raspberries and/ or blackberries... again, whatever's on sale) then a fiber bar (again, expensive but I only buy them on sale)... @ 50 cents... then I spend 1.70 on my morning coffee while at work b/c I have way to long of a walk to carry a coffe cup on top of everything else.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Around $1-$2 is my guess. Most days it's 4 egg whites with ground pepper cooked in some cooking spray so no cals & put into a plain soft tortilla. The cost varies depending on whether I buy cage free eggs & healthier flax/grain tortilla's or stick with the small flour tortilla shell. For me the challange of eating healthier includes the challange of doing it within my budget. But like someone else said, if spending that much on breakfast fits your budget, then go for it!!!!! Do whatever makes YOU happy :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    About $3-$5 per week But I've never been much of a breakfast person.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I drink my Shakeology every morning. it is only $3.00 but worth every penny when you consider that it is equal to 5 trips to the salad bar and only 160 calories. YUM!

I was a shakeology drinker but for me since im in canada its going to cost about 150$ a month
    so i was trying to see which would be easier for me to do and more cost efficent.

I wasnt a fan of the green berry or the chocolate but when i saw that they came out with the tropical strawberry i tried getting a sample of it but its been a month and it still hasnt arrived :(
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    maybe .50 on breakfast. Low carb yogurt and 1/4C granola