Knee surgery yesterday- in dire need of some motivation

Options
I went in for a meniscectomy surgery on my knee yesterday, but the damage was so extensive that they ended up having to stitch the menisci back together, instead. I went in thinking I'd be back to work in two weeks, but now it's looking like I won't even be able to get off crutches for at least six weeks. And by "get off crutches," I mean that right now I can basically make it from the bed to the couch without passing out from pain.

Needless to say, my exercise plans are a bit compromised at the moment.

I'm trying to stay positive, you know? I'm trying to focus on the things that I can control, but other than my diet, I'm not sure what to do.

Has anyone been in this position and if so, what did you do to keep yourself occupied and healthy? I'm worried I'm going to a) gain back the 15 pounds I've lost, b) go insane or c) both of those things.

Any advise on reccomended eating or activities would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to hear some stories, too. I know I'll be fine. I start PT next week, but for now I'm in need or some practical advise and entertainment.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I'm on Oxycodone, too, so I apologize if this post is a bit hard to follow. Haha.

Replies

• mizzcase
    mizzcase Posts: 24
    Options
    Just keep eating healthy and counting calories. Obviously, since you can't exercise, you have to eat less. Its not rocket science. Have some self-control.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Ohhhh Oxycodone!!! LOL just kidding

first of all when you are feeling up to it you can lift some light weights for upper body strength! Get a good book (maybe a Stephen King his books are so long) try to get some nice fresh veggies and fruits to keep on hand and keep checking in on us here to keep you in check!!
    Good Luck!!!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    From experience, I will tell you not to push it.
    You can still do cardio with dips and upper body things.
    Pretend your knee is destroyed because, for the next several weeks, it is.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle and lost 11#s in a month doing nothing. just had to really watch the diet! Good luck!
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    you can do this! I had ACL reconstruction surgery and then six weeks after, on the first day I got my brace off, I fell and broke my kneecap...six more weeks immobilized. Just try to eat healthy foods, (one good thing about hobbling around is that you either have to ask someone to get you junk food or REALLY try to get it LOL), treat yourself once in a while, and rest/rehab.

There are several DVD for workouts when you are sitting, even if you can do straight leg raises (or even just your good leg), stretching, and arm workouts, every little bit helps. I hope you are on the mend soon!

Oh and I am a HUGE proponent of the rehab workouts--do everything they tell you to do so that you heal as fast and safely as possible. I worked really hard and now have very little trouble with my knee, and it had a lot of damage. Good luck! (((HUGS)))
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Watch calories don't mindlessly eat and if you are feeling bored jillian micheals says that you can do punches with a lower body injury and boost up your heart rate. You could also lie in bed and do chest flies with hand weights. They don't burn a lot but your arms would be nice and tone :)
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    There are literally hundreds of exercises you can do until your knee gets better. As others have said, watch your diet. Use light weights / lots of reps to keep the lean muscle working and the risk of added injury low (remember, pain killers will also keep you from feeling the pain from "over-doing it").
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just finished PT for about 7 weeks due to a knee injury. I was on a big plateau during that period but at the end started to lose weight. The good news is that your PT will provide you with a safe workout. Check with your doc, maybe this week you can do some exercises leading up to PT, like simple tensing your leg muscle. The week before you start PT, you'll go stir crazy, read and watch movies, and try not to go too crazy on calories. The good news is that you'll see improvement everyday once you start PT and huge improvement over a 7 day period. Good luck, listen to the doc and your therapist. Go slow and you'll feel much better when you come out the other side.
  • January91968
    Options
    Hi I have nt been on this page since the summer, today I started again. Dont know why I stoped because I did loose weight with it,
    Anyway on March 8 I had my ankel fused.
    I have not been on the scale but people say my face looks thinner, using the walker is excersixe, and when you go up and down the steps on your buttom the steps :) that is excersixe also.
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    2 menisci tears and an ACL repair-here :(

Be mindful of the calories you are eating not just the calorie count but the content. Since you will be limited in activity for a little bit you want ot limit the amount of fat and carbs you are taking in. Once you are able to be more mobile-do the best you can to move around. I was told that as your body recovers and heals, you are actually burning a good amount of calories :).

Make sure to rest and let your body heal. take it slow and listen to your body.

You will be back on your feet (no pun intended) in not time.

Good Luck.
  • January91968
    Options
    I had my ankel fused last month
  • rbriggs1122
    Options
    I had ACL reconstruction surgery about 14 years ago (I was 33) and it was tough. But if you do your PT faithfully (no fudging there) you will regain full mobility and use. My husband and I have done about 20 half marathons and many more 10ks in the last 7 years and the knee is as good as new. So there's hope for you there. But you gotta put in the hard work. As far as now goes, you can still do upper body exercises and strength training. Our gym has an arm-cycle thingy (not sure what it's called), but you can use that to burn calories. Also, my doc said doing the stationary bike was good to keep the knee limber, so I did that about 30 minutes a day--nothing too strenuous, but regular. You will be stiff and you will have pain along the way. Expect it. It took me a year before I felt like my knee was returning to normal. But it's important to keep up the PT. I found soaking in the tub was a treat and I used it also to do bending exercises (sitting sideways in the tub and forcing the knee to bend as far as you can go). I hope this helps. It's not the end of the world, just a temporary set back ....
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think most of all watch your diet ask your doctor and add a little more lean protein + water to your diet to help heal those torn muscles and tissues. You doctor should have you starting physical therapy some time after to help you strengthen the muscles and learn to use your leg again. Don't give up. Remember this is the beginning of a new journey with your new knee. It may be painful and uncomfortable in the beginning, but you will get through this and be that much stronger mentally and physically for it. You got this <3

Edit: spelling error lol
  • willhare
    willhare Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been through the knee thing before. It's definitely a taxing situation, mentally and physically, but do your best to look beyond the near term and remember the big picture. I went through something similar about 7 years ago now, and after dropping nearly 30 lbs and getting back in shape, I rarely ever think about my knee…and I workout a lot and play competitive soccer a few times per week. The key was to stay the course and take my rehab seriously.

Too many people don't commit to the rehab and/or rush back before they should, which just results in more issues down the road. For your diet, just commit to your tracking and make sure you're snacking on healthier options while you're laid up. You're going to gain a few lbs, but if you don't rehab right, you'll gain way more down the road when you can't exercise due to a weak knee. Just focus on getting the knee right, and you'll be able to workout harder when your joint is fully recovered. Then you'll be back to where you are in no time! Trust me, I've been in your shoes.

Good luck!
  • kmq1111
    kmq1111 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks a bunch, everyone. I'll get to researching some different exercises I can do while laying down. Lord knows I've got plenty of time for research! Also, I tried reading yesterday but the narcotics make it hard for my eyes to focus on the page. I was thinking of buying an audio book from iTunes. My wife is going to borrow a wheelchair from a friend of ours so we can go for a walk at some point.

Only five weeks, five days and 12 hours until my sox weeks are up!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Ok .. first of all - YES, I feel your pain. Rather, I FELT your pain.

Narcotics. NOT the way to go. You may need some , but it's not the Answer.

I had a right lateral menisectomy November 2010. Pain was horrid from September - November. The pain was WORSE after surgery. Worse, because my meniscus was so damaged, couldn't be repaired. There wasn't even anything to stitch up. It was ripped, shredded ... Essentially in "cleaning" it up, it was removed. Leaving me with - not much : )

I have a high pain tolerance and the pain was never below a 6. Celebrex and Extra Strength Tylenol kept the edge off - from an average of 8 to a low of 6. Knee swollen, ice packs kept everywhere, every step I had to think "do I really want to go there?"

PT no help. Cortisone. Synvisc. Lateral unloader brace. NADA. I ended up with a total knee replacement in March 2011. I"m GOOD now ! YEA. I walked out of the hospital and haven't looked back since. My 6 1/2 inch scar - beautiful :)

BUT .. it sounds like perhaps you have a repair that may heal? PT and Synvisc injections on your horizon?

Any time it comes to knees: Quads and Hamstrings. The stronger they are - the better your knee is. Quads especially.

For now, I'd wait for the PT eval before any substantial exercise involving your knee. They will have you work on range of motion, flexion, extension, strengthening your quads and hams. From there .. work with your doc .

Good luck ! Knees - very very important !!

ENTERTAINMENT. I forgot that part. While I was recovering from TKR - yes, there was some pain - to take my mind off it - I played Words with Friends on my phone with random folks at 2 a.m.

Upper body - you can work your upper body - even from bed. Have some weights at home? And I would think that flexion/isometrics that stretch your quads , hams would be fine. Just don't be doing any leg presses .. k ?

And REST .. your body does need it.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It's good that they were able to actually repair the meniscus instead of just trimming it--reduces your chance of arthritis in the knee in years to come--but the extended rehab has to be a drag.

Physical therapy is important, especially with a repair, to make sure it heals properly. Take your pain meds before a PT session so you can work the joint better.

Make sure you get enough protein, and limit sweet and starchy carbs, while you're on the mend.

Good luck to you!