People with Fitbits.....thoughts please : )

Options

Replies

• Jamaica2
    Jamaica2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a fitbit. Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm glad I read your posts and found the sale price! Can't wait 'till it gets here.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    bump, I've been thinking about whether or not to get a fitbit.
  • wildertalent
    wildertalent Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been using the FB for ages now (FB Ultra). The combination of MFP and FB is awesome. Don't delay get one and you will not be disappointed.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm seriously considering buying a Fitbit (possibly in the next couple of days) but have completed some research on the interweb and mainly people say they are good. However a couple of concerns were..... the recording when travelling, apparently they can become inaccurate if you travel by car or train during a day and also some of the sleep records weren't right?

I know also they are no good for intense cardio workouts and I already have an HRM for this so people with Fitbits, do you take the fitbit off during a workout and go by the HRM or both?

Generally any reviews are welcome. I'm not one for spending money on loads of gadgets so I want to get it right!

Thanks in advance lovely MFP people! : )

They are accurate on car rides, except for stairs climbed, but stairs climbed isn't used in calculating your calories used. In fact, the only thing stairs are used for is badges on the FitBit site and FourSquare. I've had a FitBit for almost two years. (I've put two of them through the washer on my pants. I don't recommend this.) I had the original, and my current is FitBit Ultra. The primary difference in the Ultra is that there's a clock you can look at now, and the stair function. The stair function works with an altimeter, so I won't record stairs on a stair stepper, but it will record stairs if you go up in an elevator or drive up a hill. Since I never cared about this feature on my original, which didn't have it, I don't care that it's not accurate. But when I say it's inaccurate--I live in a hilly area and I motorcycle. On a two hour ride I often get credit for 60 to 80 flights of stairs. Since this doesn't increase my calories burned, it doesn't matter, but it does make it a silly function.

It measures calories burned in day-to-day activities well as compared to my HRM. It measures running or walking well. It doesn't do biking--stationary or actual, well, and it can't be worn for swimming. The things it doesn't do well can be entered manually.

I love my FitBit enough that I've replaced it twice when I destroyed it in the washer. Don't put it in the washer. :frown:
  • FitLink
    Options

Well the other link above shows that the FitBit is $20 cheaper, shipped... AND there's no membership fee, EVER. Those would be reasons to choose the FitBit, in my book. :smile:

I own both, I've worn them together with an HRM to compare. They are equally accurate. The BM FIT is huge. These are devices you wear all the time. BM FIT shows through even the heaviest sweaters. It's uncomfortable, and many people find it irritates the skin, and you can't put anything at all, including an allergy cream, on the skin. Mine got so irritated it bled. You can only wear it in one place and have it be accurate, so no relief from skin irritation. I bought it between FitBit #2 and FitBit #3 ( have a problem putting the FitBit in the washed on my pants.:cry: ), and only used it three weeks before ordering another FitBit. FB can be placed anywhere on your torso, including IN your shirt or pants pocket and still be accurate. I LOVE mine.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just get a BodyMedia Fit?

For one, it's equally accurate but MUCH larger and can only be worn in the one place and be accurate. Mine irritated the skin in that one place so badly it bled, and you can't put anything on the skin that might prevent that. Since it's supposed to produce a current across the skin, a large percentage of people get skin problems. I've got one, I just prefer FitBit.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    On a two hour ride I often get credit for 60 to 80 flights of stairs.
    When I was in Louisiana for Mardi Gras, we drove about 2.5 hours to New Orleans and my FitBit gave me 58 floors climbed. I probably actually climbed 10 or so that day.
    I love my FitBit enough that I've replaced it twice when I destroyed it in the washer. Don't put it in the washer. :frown:
    My best friend did this too. Bad deal... No amount of rice in the world will apparently dry these out enough to make them functional again!
  • hilljenk
    hilljenk Posts: 1
    Options
    The FitBit is great. I find it mostly accurate, but really love it for the trends. My sleep records are pretty accurate, but if I mess up, can be edited easily. I was doing light treadmill running, and calorie burn was very accurate to HRM. I love it because it is small and portable and basically invisible, and I pretty much have it on all the time, except for showering, etc!! Go for it!
  • sniffer66
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that you could always put your activity level as Sedentary in MFP, because anything above that would be adjusted upwards by the sync with the fitbit anyway ?
  • KatieConery
    KatieConery Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love everything about my fitbit. I have worn it every day since Jan. 25 except 2 days and those days I was a mess and felt naked! lol Not sure what kind of roads the people who said it registers while driving because mine never changes. I never take mine off except to shower. I wear it to bed every night too. Strongly recommend it. I find myself checking steps, miles, floors all day and making it a habit to meet my goal everyday. Keeps me moving!
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses, but I wanted to add... the reason that the fitbit isn't a good indicator of calories burned during strength training is because you're not moving from one location to another. The fitbit is based on GPS technology and tracks your movements. So, even though you burn a ton of calories lifting 50 pounds 20 times, the fitbit doesn't record much of that because you don't move from one location to another. But the fitbit is GREAT for walking, running, and things of that nature.

Personally, I love my fitbit and wear it all the time. I track my strength training calories burned using a different source. But when it comes to my walking/running, I rely on my fitbit every time.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    bump
  • beckyluvsgeckos
    Options
    Yall talked me into getting one, and the sale price cinched the deal. My step daughter has one and loves it too.
  • jeremyarntz
    jeremyarntz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my fit bit. I use it to track steps ( make sure I get my 10k in ) and most recently sleep as I try to get more rest. I love that it logs everything with out any action by me.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that you could always put your activity level as Sedentary in MFP, because anything above that would be adjusted upwards by the sync with the fitbit anyway ?

I did that at first but the calorie adjustment is high. There were days when I would sync and find out I needed to eat 300 calories more and it was 10 pm. I changed my profile so that it would be easier to manage my calories, especially if I don't sync until late at night.

After I get over my cold and the weather warms up, I might rethink it. I'm going to up my steps per day goal so that will probably cause me to change my profile here again.
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I’ve had my Fitbit for over 2 years and I love it. I wear it all the time. I also have a Garmin HRM for when I run. I would be lost without my FitBit and I think it helped me 100% with my weight loss. But, I know that everyone is different.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It helps keep me motivated and I'm a total info junkie. I haven't had problems with travel discrepancies. I'm thinking of getting my boyfriend one so we can compare results.

Also, after a run, I review the fitbit activity data and take the number of km (because that number is higher than miles - lol - makes the accomplishment feel better) I run and reward myself with that amount in dollars. Today was 4.33km, so I'm adding $4.33 to my savings. It helps keep me running and I think I'll use that money to buy a polar hrm set to round out my ocd info collection.
  • kg6blue
    kg6blue Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think you all just talked me into a self purchase for Mothers Day! :) And a great idea for my mom too!
    Thanks for all the info!
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    Yes, just saw it at slick deals also. The ultra for 76.00. Going to order. Thanks for all of the input. It will be nice to see what I am doing each day!
    Make it a great day!:flowerforyou: