Self-Conscious when working out

Options
Yesterday I was doing Day 1 of Power 90, and when I was doing certain work outs like Jumping Jacks, I realized I was trying really hard not to jump "Loud" so I was doing most of them on my toes, so my whole foot wasn't coming down. I then realized I was self conscious about the noise I was making because im not "Light".

Well today my calves are killing me. Does anyone else get like this or is it just something weird I do?

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Do you remember when you were a little kid, and you had absolutely NO DOUBT that you were awesome and amazing?? You didn't care what anyone thought. You ran and jumped and climbed and twirled because it felt good, and you never gave a thought to how you looked or sounded to others. When I work out, I try to channel that "little kid awesome." it's not a conceited kind of feeling, but it's just a way to claim your space in this world and do what you need to do...for YOU. So just jump baby!!!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I actually can't do the jumping jacks very well at all. I try to do them every time, but I usually have to stop and just run in place instead. I think it's okay to modify the moves so that you can participate in the workout. Better to participate than to stop moving altogether. That's what I say. :P

Where are you doing your Power 90 workouts? The gym or at home? Do you live in an apartment and you're worried about the people living below you getting annoyed? That's what I was worried about for a while, but now I do the jumping workouts and I just try my best to land on my toes so I don't make a lot of noise and I try to do my workouts before quiet hours!
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Do you remember when you were a little kid, and you had absolutely NO DOUBT that you were awesome and amazing?? You didn't care what anyone thought. You ran and jumped and climbed and twirled because it felt good, and you never gave a thought to how you looked or sounded to others. When I work out, I try to channel that "little kid awesome." it's not a conceited kind of feeling, but it's just a way to claim your space in this world and do what you need to do...for YOU. So just jump baby!!!
    Its so funny you say that because i think that to when I work out like WTH i loved doing this kinda stuff when I was little... I need to bring out my inner child
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I actually can't do the jumping jacks very well at all. I try to do them every time, but I usually have to stop and just run in place instead. I think it's okay to modify the moves so that you can participate in the workout. Better to participate than to stop moving altogether. That's what I say. :P

Where are you doing your Power 90 workouts? The gym or at home? Do you live in an apartment and you're worried about the people living below you getting annoyed? That's what I was worried about for a while, but now I do the jumping workouts and I just try my best to land on my toes so I don't make a lot of noise and I try to do my workouts before quiet hours!
    At home but for some odd REASON mainly probably because my room is where the garage used to be so its empty under my room EVERYTHING is sooooo much louder.. lol
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I live in an upstairs apartment so I can totally relate to not wanting all the jumping to be loud. Fortunately my downstairs neighbor doesn't seem to mind.
    But I can't workout with people around. I have to work out by myself or I can't focus and won't get nearly as good of a workout. I usually end up working out around 4 in the morning out in the living room since this seems to not disturb the downstairs neighbor and insures that I'm undisturbed.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should change your way of looking at it. If all that's under you is a garage, I'd make it a POINT to make as much noise as I could! It's YOUR house. Own it!
    I like to work out alone so I can grunt, yell, pant, gasp...make any noise I dang well please. I'm working hard. I deserve to not be self-conscious during that time.

Enjoy your noise! :happy:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I totally do! For some reason I get embarrassed working out at my apartment. I think my roommates are going to worry about me if I do, like they'll think I'm too worried about my weight. Probably comes from me having an eating disorder way back in junior high and everyone freaking out.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I do jumprope at the gym and most look at me funny. Screw them. I have to do all these diff steps in order to make the session interesting so if you don't like how I jump rope, go fling yourself off a cliff
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The next time you start to feel self-conscious about doing your workout just try and picture me, a 50 year old trucker with a beer gut, doing jumping jacks in the middle of a truck stop parking lot. That should make you feel much better :laugh:
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    The next time you start to feel self-conscious about doing your workout just try and picture me, a 50 year old trucker with a beer gut, doing jumping jacks in the middle of a truck stop parking lot. That should make you feel much better :laugh:

Damn, that's dedication.
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Remember have fun if not working out becomes a chore which eventually is dropped
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Yesterday I was doing Day 1 of Power 90, and when I was doing certain work outs like Jumping Jacks, I realized I was trying really hard not to jump "Loud" so I was doing most of them on my toes, so my whole foot wasn't coming down. I then realized I was self conscious about the noise I was making because im not "Light".

Well today my calves are killing me. Does anyone else get like this or is it just something weird I do?

I was the same way at first. I felt like I was drawing attention to myself. And then would picture how I looked jumping up and down and seeing the fat just bounce lol. Then I got used to it and forgot about it. Just remember, most of the people are not paying attention even if they look like they are. Most of them are in a zone. Just do you thang!!
  • Kbat02
    Kbat02 Posts: 1
    Options
    GPStrucker - You make me smile!:happy:
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Put your head down and work, if people have time to sit there and stare they arent working as hard as you, your at the gym to pick things uo and put them down, move heavy wieght, and walk out feeling dead.. enjoy it and don't even worry about anyone but you
  • Langlady
    Langlady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to be pretty self conscience at the gym but then I realized, no one looks good working out in the gym. All sweaty, stinky, dissheviled, hair falling out of the holder. I use the point of view that if they look good then they aren't working out as hard as I am.

Also, I agree with another post, if it's your house make as much noise you want. The more noise the better. :)
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm super self conscious and I hate having people around when I'm working out. Fortunately I work at home so I can do fitness dvd's here but I prefer going to the park near my house and I am starting the C25K program next week.

My current train of thoughts is "sure, I look like a gross uncoordinated blimp BUT I'm off my *kitten* and I'm doing my best" so if someone feels the need to judge me or look at me funny they can go right ahead. I'm just going to keep it moving.
  • daughter_of_a_hungry_ghost
    Options
    I'm afriad of doing any exercises at all sometimes becuase I feel like people are watching me. Even when my door is shut in my room and there is no one in there but my cat or nothing at all I'm afraid I'm being judged. I just have to try to push my fear away but that takes a while for me to do that.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'm super self conscious and I hate having people around when I'm working out. Fortunately I work at home so I can do fitness dvd's here but I prefer going to the park near my house and I am starting the C25K program next week.

My current train of thoughts is "sure, I look like a gross uncoordinated blimp BUT I'm off my *kitten* and I'm doing my best" so if someone feels the need to judge me or look at me funny they can go right ahead. I'm just going to keep it moving.

Right. I used to sort of look down on overweight people in the gym. But I realized that's totally wrong. ANYONE in the gym is doing more than 99% of the rest of society. And no one really starts off looking great when they start out. Everyone is the same. Just on different parts of their fitness journey. Some are at the start and some are towards the end.
  • JetMechRN
    JetMechRN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your workout is about you. If people look at you odd, then they are the ones with the problem. I look a mess when I work out, especially on my cardio days. I get on the Crossramp for an hour and sweat like someone poured water on me, my hair is matted to my head, my clothes are drenched, do I care? Nope! I am in the gym to get healthier and get some of this weight off. Do your thing, my friend! And if you look around you, you will notice that we all look rather "unique" when we workout.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Love it! Me too:)